Dry Fly Lines?

i could talk all day about coarse fishing lines, predator traces but i am baffled as to what line to load my fly reel with, its a 4/5 weight rod and i mostly fish a dry fly so dont mind spending money on this but scrimping on the wet fly line

when it comes to fishing or any fieldsport, google will have an answer however those that have experience day in, day out will have real answers!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

try john norris own brand line mate its better than a lot of real pricey lines. and at the price you can afford to take a punt on it, but i honestly cant fault it and catchin fish on it, im far from a

Easy way to sink a dry line is put a Course fishing weight on it

It all depends where you are going to fish with the rod? Small streams, large rivers, stock ponds or large reservoirs? If you need to be casting any distance a weight forward will help, if you need pr

Posted Images

try john norris own brand line mate its better than a lot of real pricey lines. and at the price you can afford to take a punt on it, but i honestly cant fault it and catchin fish on it, im far from an experienced fly fisherman tho lol

• Like 1

i could talk all day about coarse fishing lines, predator traces but i am baffled as to what line to load my fly reel with, its a 4/5 weight rod and i mostly fish a dry fly so dont mind spending money on this but scrimping on the wet fly line

when it comes to fishing or any fieldsport, google will have an answer however those that have experience day in, day out will have real answers!

You realise there are floating lines and various rates of sinking lines from neutral to hi-d but no such thing exists as a wet fly line (though there is a "wet cell" brand name).

The line you need if your fishing rivers for trout (judging from your 4/5 outfit) is something like a wet cell 2 or a sink tip (indeed to save money just add a sinking poly leader to your floating line) this way you don't even need another reel or spool. I am however guessing your purpose here however if you take for instance fishing north country spiders (partridge and orange, snipe and purple, waterhen bloa etc.) these are wet flies very commonly fished on the rivers but are most normally fished across and down with a high held stick and full a floating line.

try john norris own brand line mate its better than a lot of real pricey lines. and at the price you can afford to take a punt on it, but i honestly cant fault it and catchin fish on it, im far from an experienced fly fish

You realise there are floating lines and various rates of sinking lines from neutral to hi-d but no such thing exists as a wet fly line (though there is a "wet cell" brand name).

The line you need if your fishing rivers for trout (judging from your 4/5 outfit) is something like a wet cell 2 or a sink tip (indeed to save money just add a sinking poly leader to your floating line) this way you don't even need another reel or spool. I am however guessing your purpose here however if you take for instance fishing north country spiders (partridge and orange, snipe and purple, waterhen bloa etc.) these are wet flies very commonly fished on the rivers but are most normally fished across and down with a high held stick and full a floating line.

thanks for the reply lads, yellow dog i actually didnt know that they all had various rates of sinking! i dont no why but i just cant get my head around this fly line and leader business! ill get there tho!

It all depends where you are going to fish with the rod? Small streams, large rivers, stock ponds or large reservoirs? If you need to be casting any distance a weight forward will help, if you need presentaion then a double taper will be better. For dry lines I have always gone for a double taper. I have spent vast sums of money in the past trying to get the best line possible. But none of those expensive lines have caught me any more fish, they may have been better to cast with, but as you are starting out you have nothing to compare it with, so you would not notice the difference.

TC

• Like 1

try john norris own brand line mate its better than a lot of real pricey lines. and at the price you can afford to take a punt on it, but i honestly cant fault it and catchin fish on it, im far from an experienced fly fish

thanks for the reply lads, yellow dog i actually didnt know that they all had various rates of sinking! i dont no why but i just cant get my head around this fly line and leader business! ill get there tho!

Put it this way with a 5# rod on a river for trout I should just stick with a floating line. The only great use for any sinker on these venues with a single handed rod is in fishing for lures deep for seatrout or large streamers during periods of flood for bigger browns in which case I should be using a 7-8# rod. Casting sinking lines is also a different skill requiring a roll cast pick-up or similar or you will end up cursing trying to lift a sunk line out the water for the next cast

• Like 1

With a 4/5# i would recommend a WF, the DT doesn't work quite as good with finer lines. Also, if you are a beginner the WF will help with casting too. Just buy a braided floating loop , attach that to the fly line and then attach your leader to that. If you're still learning I would opt for a shorter leader as this will help with your casting. You'll soon pick it up. It's really quite easy/ JD

• Like 1

I only use floating lines as 90% of my fly fishing is dry fly . I use the cortland 444 peach floater in 5 weight for rivers and small stillwaters and 7 weight for bigger waters . I also use a greys platinum 3 weight on brooks but its not as good as the cortland 444

• Like 1

have to disagree with hot meat ....its like anything else you get what you pay for ....The airflow ridge lines are good and I have used them for a few years now after trying pretty much every line ther e is ...my dry set up I have a WF6 ON A 9ft ....I have a 6ft #3-4 rod that I use on small rivers with a ridgeline clear that I have had some decent grilse on ...some fight on a small set up

post-88284-0-51917400-1393923369_thumb.jpg

I got 2 airflo lines here still unopened, I'll have to get on on a spare spool. The fact is tho as a guy that had never tried fly fishing I was kitted up by an ole guy local who let me try a load of set ups and from day 1 iv been catching fish on the john Norris dry line, it is weighted forward I know that much lol I'll be back on river soon so I'll try this other line I was given a go and see if it gets me more fish

With a 4/5# i would recommend a WF, the DT doesn't work quite as good with finer lines. Also, if you are a beginner the WF will help with casting too. Just buy a braided floating loop , attach that to the fly line and then attach your leader to that. If you're still learning I would opt for a shorter leader as this will help with your casting. You'll soon pick it up. It's really quite easy/ JD

I would disagree with that the weight forward does help a little for casting, but does nothing for presentation, and as the OP was asking about fishing with a dry fly, the best presentation will come with a double taper. I have a little 7ft #3 weight rod and a cheap DT3 floater and the presentaion is first class with it, turns over beatifully. I have used it on fairly large waters when the sedges are on, of an evening and it catches me more fish because of the presentation i am able to get with it.

TC

• Like 1

I would disagree with that the weight forward does help a little for casting, but does nothing for presentation, and as the OP was asking about fishing with a dry fly, the best presentation will come with a double taper. I have a little 7ft #3 weight rod and a cheap DT3 floater and the presentaion is first class with it, turns over beatifully. I have used it on fairly large waters when the sedges are on, of an evening and it catches me more fish because of the presentation i am able to get with it.

TC

Well, I used to use a DT for everything, but now I've gone the other way. Each to their own. I do alot of fly fishing and I have no problems with the WF presentation, especially so in the lighter weights. but it is each to their own.

I use a weight forward as I find them better aswel. How ever I caught a 15.1 lb rainbow from wood ford fishery on a 6 lb leader which to say I had butter flies when I saw the fish is an under statement . It was a belting fight. But I use a 7 ft rod on my river with light lines for the brown n sea trout. It's how you play the fish that counts not the price of the line.