don't know if this is in the right place

anyone have any ideas on how to chop up logs other than me having to fork out for a chainsaw? I was looking for a nine inch wood cutting disc for the grinder but f**k me their as dear as a chainsaw. Is there any other route I can take before cutting by hand? And if not what saw is best? bow saw? open to ideas lads.

thanks again,

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The answer to this is simple   save up and buy a chainsaw, there is no option unless you only cut 4 logs a month

I'd dearly love a pair of gloves. I feel I'm living on borrowed time without them.   Brought it home to me was the time my chain came loose. Thankfully, the Chain Catcher took care of it and it just

tax man ??

Posted Images

Get yourself a chain saw :yes:

Make and model depends on your budget but as you go along you will soon learn that B&Q stuff is crap and can't be fixed or get parts.

So I will say sthil or husqvarna . You get what you pay for. A little ms190 or husky equivalent will set you back around £100 second hand. OK for firewood but that's it.

Whatever you get. Make sure you learn how to keep it sharp.

The answer to this is simple

save up and buy a chainsaw, there is no option unless you only cut 4 logs a month

:thumbs: i use a bow saw fooking pain in the arse i manage 10 cuts then give it best i`m cutting logs for an hour every 2 days --chainsaws on my shopping listhttp://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/313713-electric-chainsaw/?hl=chainsaw

• Like 2

:laugh: thought so rake aboot, im in no rush so I can keep gathering wood while I save a few quid. aye their the only brand names I hear people chatting about moxy. so i'll check them out and keep an ear out for a second hand one.

thanks for reading lads

They're dead f**kin right, Norser. I used a bow saw, at first. But, I only cut branches with it. And it was a novel thing. Few sticks to throw in the fire place.

Once I got my stove, and the young trees started getting donated by my lovely neighbours? I shelled out a few ton on a small, firewood cutting Husk. Economy level thing.

That's all she f**king wrote! :icon_eek: Now, I can whiz through a whole winters worth of fuel in under a week!

Seriously, mate; The effort and time a saw will save ye? Nothing else bares thinking about.

I have a chainsaw now,,,love the fecking thing.....

However there is another way,,,,,but of course it's slower,,, but an hour spent in a bit of suitable woodland can get you two days worth of wood,,,,, with out a saw or axe,,, just your bare hands,,,knowing the type of wood your collecting is important ...

Picking up dead wood off the forest floor ,,,,pick the dead wood from under the right trees,,, ash,, beach birch hazel,,,

Now provided these are dead,,,and not two thick,,,up to around 3 inch in diameter ,,, you can break them to the right length by hitting them against the trunck of a big tree,, a bit like swinging a baseball bat...

Yes it's a bit primitive ,,, but it does work,,,, the more you do it,,,you will learn what wood snaps easy,,,

• Like 2

you'll always get those that are either for or againt cheap chainsaws, I have both cheap and good, and run them both side by side, and so far, no difference what so ever, my 14" husky cost around £160, my 20" imported chinese "widow maker" as its now named, cost me around £57 from evil bay

they have gone up a bit in price now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MJ-TOOLS-High-Power-52cc-Petrol-Chainsaw-20-Bar-Quality-Chain-2-8HP-/231110372242?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item35cf406b92

this is used on a weekly basis, cutting hazel,ash and oak, and getting sharpened by me, is still going strong one year later, they way I saw it when I bought it, was if it lasted a year, I would have had my moneys worth

yes I own that woodland, so am allowed to cut the dead trees down

cheers for the comments lads, very helpful.

this year for me is going to be hard for me financially, so it may be a while before I get my hands on a stihl. i get stumps from a friend of mine which i split with a hatchet does the job but i think you could be right about the maul rake.

• Like 1

When you get the chainsaw well worth investing in some chainsaw gloves a mate of mine was cutting away the chain broke and wrapped round his fingers lucky he had the gloves on but ripped them up pretty bad, its a pretty common thing so be careful mate. I would go for a well known make otherwise spare parts are a nightmare to get.

Atb

• Like 1

jonsered is made by husqvarna but a bit cheaper second hand, any professional at timber has either a stihl or husky, the husky is probably in the lead tho, we have a stihl 056 farm boss with 20 odd years and a husky 265xp with 7/8 years and lately picked up a jonsered cs 2150 turbo about two years ago. if i was doing alot of cutting id use the husky as its the quickest cutting saw and most powerful, second the jonsered and the still is a back up, its too bloody heavy compaired to modern saws anyway!

• Like 1