Spaniel Injury

My dogs been limping for months I've had 9 X-rays at the vets, nothing showed up apart from the minor onset of mild arthritis but nothing to cause the limps he's got. I've just finished a course of injections from the vets to try and aid the recovery but he's still limping and I'm getting sick and tired off it. I had him out shooting a couple if days to give him a run as all he's been getting is lead walks he never limped all day did the next day. Anybody ever experienced this type of injury to their dog? It's the front right leg

It's more likely a soft tissue injury which won't show up on x-ray. Try taking him to a good Greyhound vet or bone man (osteopath) These guys are much better at diagnosing soft tissue injuries: muscle/tendon/ligament problems than ordinary vets.

• Like 1

Ok cheers the vet was saying a ct scan could be on the cards aswell

:icon_eek::icon_eek: :icon_eek:See a back man first. If you don't know of anyone in your area go to the local greyhound track and ask who they use. Seriously, what a good bone man doesn't know isn't worth knowing, but do be careful and use someone who is recommended and has loads of experience: there are one or two who are useless and dangerous to dogs. I'd recommend Robert Meek, but I guess your'e too far north for him.

• Like 1

Torn muscles need a specific type of massage, though if the injury is long standing it will probably have healed leaving scar tissue, which could account for lameness after exercise. Tendon or ligament problems are difficult to heal well, though certain types of physio and massage can help, using appropriate embrocation. Worst cases may need to be operated on. I had a dog which ripped out one of the tendons from her wrist: she was on the lead for 6 months and was able to work again almost 100% afterwards, though she did go lame after a really hard run. My local back man diagnosed this purely through feeling her leg. Problem is that most people don't follow instructions properly and even when told to rest a dog completely for however many weeks or months, they try and put the dog back to work again too soon. That is the most common complaint from all the back men and canine osteopaths I've seen: never underestimate the power of rest. You'd be amazed at what good bone/back men can diagnose purely from examining a dog with their hands: just like human osteopaths and chiropractors do.