So You Want To Be A Keeper???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well ive wanted to be a keeper for a long time since about 10 year old   so i went to newton rigg and done very well best attendance record in the history of the course ect ect as part of my cours

I'll have a crack . . .   It was always something I wanted to do when I was a kid. . . same as farming really. But growing up, I was always told not to, for all of the usual reasons . . . and so I f

I think what lads need to realise is that keepering should never be about the sport/shooting you may get but it is all about the sport you provide all the way from the beaters smacking rabbits, to tak

Spot on mate .It takes a certain type of youngster to go into the job i find .The arrogant big headed types are not usually tolerated by those who are used to their own company .Best to talk an bit and listen a lot .Those that believe all keepers are arrogant are probably that way inclined too and have rubbed them up the wrong way at sometime.Good and bad in every trade but keepering has to be one of the few trades where a mans character is pushed from one extreme to another .I left the job because i was travelling 60 miles a day round trip and never saw the family growing up .I replaced a keeper who was sacked for shooting his own birds and selling them at market.He had a tied cottage which should of been mine but he basically squat in it for 3 years solid .Had to put the estate on the spot eventually but no resolution so i left .Did i enjoy the life, you bet i did .I look back now though and realise ive done far more with my life than i ever would have in service .The love of the outdoors and field sports is not enough justification for anyone to get a keepers job IMO.Its a way of life not suited to every countryman

I am far from arrogant and there are plenty on here that have had days out with me that can vouch for that ... It would be counter productive for me to rub up a keeper the wrong way as their bosses pay my wages BUT it doesn't alter the fact that they are arrogant fukcers .........

I think it would mostly be alright if the work was shared out, or done on a rota system. Most of the time it's the underkeepers doing the graft and the headkeeper makes an appearance after brunch to delegate what needs to be done, then has a long lunch, does a bit in the afternoon, goes in before you for tea, comes out after you do to do a bit more, then sends you to sit out with the rifle until dark while he sits in front of the tv....then moans when you're 5 minutes late getting up for lamping after an hours kip lol

If you want to go into gamekeeping make sure you have a lass who can cook, otherwise you'll end up chucking processed shite in the microwave due to not having the time to eat proper meals :laugh:

• Like 3

I worked as a ranger for the commission shooting deer 5 days a week then it went up to 6 days then they called in the red deer commission to shoot the reds at night as we couldn't and i felt like a butcher , the deer where actually causing more damage to the trees no as they couldn't get out to feed . then i was offered a holiday let as a house as i was getting married and there was no hot water and you couldn't get up stairs as they need replaced i thought it was time to go or the kids would be on the porch playing banjo's when they arrived . it was just your basic wage and Saturdays and the nights lamping which else where in the commission would be payed as unsocial hours where to be time in lieu , There was good perks as you could sell the antlers the pizza;s and sinews at the end of the year , but i earned the same amount being a stalking ghillie to germans at a red season in the great glens

• Like 1

I think it would mostly be alright if the work was shared out, or done on a rota system. Most of the time it's the underkeepers doing the graft and the headkeeper makes an appearance after brunch to delegate what needs to be done, then has a long lunch, does a bit in the afternoon, goes in before you for tea, comes out after you do to do a bit more, then sends you to sit out with the rifle until dark while he sits in front of the tv....then moans when you're 5 minutes late getting up for lamping after an hours kip lol

If you want to go into gamekeeping make sure you have a lass who can cook, otherwise you'll end up chucking processed shite in the microwave due to not having the time to eat proper meals :laugh:

spot on their....only theirs no lasses mental enugh to put up with it :laugh: i used to have girlfriends for the shooting season then they would do one over summer :D

Spot on mate .It takes a certain type of youngster to go into the job i find .The arrogant big headed types are not usually tolerated by those who are used to their own company .Best to talk an bit and listen a lot .Those that believe all keepers are arrogant are probably that way inclined too and have rubbed them up the wrong way at sometime.Good and bad in every trade but keepering has to be one of the few trades where a mans character is pushed from one extreme to another .I left the job because i was travelling 60 miles a day round trip and never saw the family growing up .I replaced a keeper who was sacked for shooting his own birds and selling them at market.He had a tied cottage which should of been mine but he basically squat in it for 3 years solid .Had to put the estate on the spot eventually but no resolution so i left .Did i enjoy the life, you bet i did .I look back now though and realise ive done far more with my life than i ever would have in service .The love of the outdoors and field sports is not enough justification for anyone to get a keepers job IMO.Its a way of life not suited to every countryman

I am far from arrogant and there are plenty on here that have had days out with me that can vouch for that ... It would be counter productive for me to rub up a keeper the wrong way as their bosses pay my wages BUT it doesn't alter the fact that they are arrogant fukcers .........

Socks -I know lads that know you and you are not arrogant by any stretch .Post wasnt aimed at you direct just in general .I treat as i find in life and usually that paves the way for clear cut relations.

Ive not met an arrogant keeper yet but probably says more about the way i treat them .All the keepers local to me are sound blokes with time to chat and over the years i have been welcome on most of the estates to do the terrier work and help with deer culls.Ive never done a days beating for any of them as i havnt the time but i work on the estates enough to make time to get involved with their daily tasks.To cast all keepers as arrogant is narrow minded though mate.

No being funny but if the estate manager called someone in to sort the rabbits then it's to be expected that the contractor will be treated with contempt,On nearly every estate politics ensure that the keeper and estate manager are at conflict ( each usually vying for the highest point of the pecking order)seems to me socks rightly or wrongly your going to end up right in the middle of it hence the keepers attitude to you.

• Like 3

Feck me Perthshire ,,, that's some story,,,, I did a bit after leaving school,,, and about 10 years ago was helping a couple of local keepers for a few seasons,,, good guys both of them and were still mates now..

But it put me off to be honest,,,it's not the hard work,,,, it's the way you get treated,,,, and perthshires sad story just highlights it all,,,,,

• Like 2

I just attribute it down to living a life of solitude and isolation from the real world slowly eats away at your social skills until you have none left :laugh:

So that explains why you're a cnut then? :D

What is it you do? (bar your second job as a gay prostitute :whistling: ) PM me

I CAN NEVER WAY UP WHY A BIG ESTATE SHUD PAY FOR A PRIVATE RABBIT CONTROL COMPANY TO COME, IN,, ALL THE PLACE,S IVE BIN THE KEEPERS,,OR THERE PALS,,,,KEEP ON TOP OF THEM,,,,,,

i know a good grouse place in scotland... in angus.. not far from Aberdeen....and it has one fo the best and most productive and dedicated team of keepers and i think one of the beast grouse head keepers north of the border (thou the head man mayyyyy be slightly of his rocker :laugh: ) and they have a guy separate from the keepers who catches rabbits all day every day and that's all he dose i fact he is the old head keeper.... simply because on a good estate a team of keepers dont have time for sleep let alone arseing about after rabbits

Edited by perthshire keeper
  • Like 2

Feck me Perthshire ,,, that's some story,,,, I did a bit after leaving school,,, and about 10 years ago was helping a couple of local keepers for a few seasons,,, good guys both of them and were still mates now..

But it put me off to be honest,,,it's not the hard work,,,, it's the way you get treated,,,, and perthshires sad story just highlights it all,,,,,

too many lads get into it for the trigger time..and no doubt you get a bit of it.. but you spend more time on a hammer than a gun...,, my wee post is a low fat version of the story.. buts its a story all to familiar in keepering and young lads... what sickens me is i turned down 4 jobs that year...and was offered to work on dryhope in selkirk 3 times and i turned it down to stay with the estate...

but to be fair to be able to produce a 1470odd bird day... and 28020 odd birds in 5 seasons thats some thing by any ones standards :D

• Like 1

I CAN NEVER WAY UP WHY A BIG ESTATE SHUD PAY FOR A PRIVATE RABBIT CONTROL COMPANY TO COME, IN,, ALL THE PLACE,S IVE BIN THE KEEPERS,,OR THERE PALS,,,,KEEP ON TOP OF THEM,,,,,,

i know a good grouse place in scotland... in angus.. not far from Aberdeen....and it has one fo the best and most productive and dedicated team of keepers and i think one of the beast grouse head keepers north of the border (thou the head man mayyyyy be slightly of his rocker :laugh: ) and they have a guy separate from the keepers who catches rabbits all day every day and that's all he dose i fact he is the old head keeper.... simply because on a good estate a team of keepers dont have time for sleep let alone arseing about after rabbits

. Thats what warreners are /were for.