So You Want To Be A Keeper???

Come on then lads what makes you want to keeper?

For those that are in the job is it what you expected?

For those not there yet what do you think keepering offers you?

Be interesting to here from those that left the job do they regret it? is life outside better and would they return?

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well ive wanted to be a keeper for a long time since about 10 year old   so i went to newton rigg and done very well best attendance record in the history of the course ect ect as part of my cours

I'll have a crack . . .   It was always something I wanted to do when I was a kid. . . same as farming really. But growing up, I was always told not to, for all of the usual reasons . . . and so I f

I think what lads need to realise is that keepering should never be about the sport/shooting you may get but it is all about the sport you provide all the way from the beaters smacking rabbits, to tak

I do regret leaving in a way but at the same time don't. The job I took wasn't in 'keeping, more gardening on the premise there'd be a lot of involvement, but I didn't do enough with the shoot to justify staying in a gardening job 500+ miles from home for pittance when I could be home earning double :laugh:

I used to help out in every aspect on the local shoot, unpaid like but it was a good learning curve. I'm not even helping now since the syndicate changed hands, just beating / picking up. TBH I did sort of think of giving it all up last year but then it's a waste of two dogs that I've put a lot of time into. Not to mention i'd miss it!

Now I work in fast food :whistling: to keep things ticking over. I'd jump back into it in a heart beat if the right opportunity presented itself, who knows.

I'll have a crack . . .

It was always something I wanted to do when I was a kid. . . same as farming really. But growing up, I was always told not to, for all of the usual reasons . . . and so I followed a different route, always around it, but never doing it properly.

Then a couple of years ago, I got the offer of doing it part time (or at least receive part time pay for as much time as I could give them . . .), taking over the keepering of a failing shoot.

Now I'm still on that shoot, having almost quadrupled the number of birds they shoot over a season, broken the shoot records for biggest bag (on a day), and introduced partridge to what was a pheasant shoot . . . amongst other things. They want me to stay on next season, and are now increasing the size of the shoot, both in terms of physical size, and numbers of birds / drives. I've also had some interest from an estate in Northumberland for a single handed keepers job there . . .

Has it been what I expected? Have I enjoyed it?

Yer, I've really enjoyed it. It's tough, and I know I'm only 'playing' at it compared to many. But getting up by first light seven days a week, no matter the weather, driving round on a quad, hauling sacks of pellets around in the mud and rain, checking traps, trying to fix broken water lines, and generally obsessing about the birds every moment . . . . .it's hard at times.

This year in particular, fighting mother nature, can feel like a slightly unfair battle. . . .

And then there are the politics etc.

But over all, I love it. It's the solitude, and the way you can see the impact your graft has, being out on the land, when no one else is. Being really in touch with the land around you.

Also just really enjoy the process of managing land, habitat etc and working with animals.

And really love the shoot days, the ceremony, the organisation and the feeling when a plan comes together and the guns are all smiles and folk describe the drive as 'Biblical' :laugh:

• Like 7

I got offered the chance to go back to Belgium in November on the other shoot ran by the other headkeeper, got a phone call out of the blue offering me the job. I always got on with him when i was there (never worked together just social) and that obviously made him remember me (or he was desperate lol). Naturally i was buzzing, we were talking about the job and location, how many birds etc thinking get in!! But it was a Tues or Weds and he wanted me and the young dog there by the weekend....who needed her passport and vacs and then had to wait 21 days before travelling. I even phoned DEFRA to confirm but would he have it that dogs have to have their vacs and a 21 day wait before crossing? Would he hell. Even offered to get the dog done, come over myself then have my parents bring her over in a month but nope both me and the dog must be there by the weekend lol. Eventually after many phone calls and e-mails he relented and said oh it's okay anyway she'll just go into kennels for 21 days...aye, at the port 100s of miles away from where i'm staying and probably going to cost more than I am going to earn in a week (100 euros). I told him I wouldn't be going lol. Arguing over the dog before I've even got in the job, imagine working together :laugh:

Crazy. Much less of a carry on flipping burgers for a living :laugh:

I think a lot of young lads getting into it also overlook the people you will be working for/with.

Most, and ive met a lot and know a lot, of keepers are f***ing arseholes you wouldn't give the time of day to if it weren't for their job :yes:

Arrogant, obnoxious, bordering on bullys some times.

Its as if because they were treated like shit as a trainee/underkeeper they make it their mission in life once they have become 'headkeeper' to make anyone under them go through the same shit.

Ive known of trainee keepers who were given 2 days off a year (yes 2 :laugh:) either xmas eve and xmas day or new years eve/new years day.

That's no life, and there aren't many lads who would hack that for long enough to get a leg up somewhere else.

Then you get the 'job creationists' who think it is wrong for the young lads to have any down time, will create jobs when there isn't much on just so they are occupied.

IMO anyone getting into it needs to have a real think about the above and if you are mentally strong enough to put up with a good few years of shit then go for it.

Who knows, you might even be able to get a bit of shooting done :cray:

• Like 3

for me seeing the amount of young lads getting into keepering seems to all be about the destruction of vermin and they think its all just about pulling the trigger for me its working the land creating better drives and habitat for game and the results is seeing guns enjoy there days sport and speak highly of the keepers hard work

• Like 1

I think a lot of young lads getting into it also overlook the people you will be working for/with.

Most, and ive met a lot and know a lot, of keepers are f*****g arseholes you wouldn't give the time of day to if it weren't for their job :yes:

Its as if because they were treated like shit as a trainee/underkeeper they make it their mission in life once they have become 'headkeeper' to make anyone under them go through the same shit.

Ive known of trainee keepers who were given 2 days off a year (yes 2 :laugh:) either xmas eve and xmas day or new years eve/new years day.

That's no life, and there aren't many lads who would hack that for long enough to get a leg up somewhere else.

Then you get the 'job creationists' who think it is wrong for the young lads to have any down time, will create jobs when there isn't much on just so they are occupied.

IMO anyone getting into it needs to have a real think about the above and if you are mentally strong enough to put up with a good few years of shit then go for it.

Out of the dozens of keepers I have met only a handful have been decent lads the majority are arrogant pricks that think they are gods ..........

• Like 6

Most, and ive met a lot and know a lot, of keepers are f*****g arseholes you wouldn't give the time of day to if it weren't for their job :yes:

. Lol. You last comment speaks volumes the last thing on a pro. Keepers mind is shooting him self that is, All the keepers you have met arrogant obnoxious etc and you would not speak to them only because they are keepers lol. Says it all so you only want to know them because of their job lol , keepering in the main is a one man job even on big estate you mainly work single handed except for shoot days or rearing. Its a close nit community execept for beaters why would any keeper welcome every tom dick and stranger no pun intended who migh have other intentions , keepering is a way of life its not about how many day shooting you get lol. Yes you will carry a gun for vermin etc but the every day work of a keeper is not shooting , days off dont enter a job were you need to be there 24/7 if it holls you want , was i a keeper yes would i go back yes if it suited me but my better half is not suited to the way of life my old head keeper. Retired 5 years ago he is part time now its in your blood or it is not , keepers are not all arrogant ignorant etc its just the majority of people who they meet want some thing off them Lol Edited by gonetoearth
  • Like 5

Out of the dozens of keepers I have met only a handful have been decent lads the majority are arrogant pricks that think they are gods ..........

. Socks you meet a keeper. Have a chat then some were down the line. Eventualy eh dont suppose i culd go ferreting lol. Its simple. Go beating offer to help out build up a freundship it not rocket sience lads.

played about at it over the years, doing it for a living and playing at it as a hobby are different things, you get it wrong as a hobby its a sad face in the pub for a week or so, get it wrong as a job and you are looking for a new house and job with a black mark against you, i still have guns but hardly ever use them any more shooting became a chore, i have not met any keepers like stranger has, i have meet a few stressed out or tired ones who get fed up of people wanting something for nothing, the same as a lot of farmers.

No GTE, you have it wrong. I work with and for keepers every day, have close friends who are keepers and family members who are keepers.

I just attribute it down to living a life of solitude and isolation from the real world slowly eats away at your social skills until you have none left :laugh:

I have no bias or axe to grind, just saying it how it is.

:thumbs:

. Socks you meet a keeper. Have a chat then some were down the line. Eventualy eh dont suppose i culd go ferreting lol. Its simple. Go beating offer to help out build up a freundship it not rocket sience lads.

Miles off the mark fella I meet keepers through my job where the estate manager has called me in to sort out their rabbit problem and as I stated most are arrogant pricks ........

socks its the way you dress and come across .............if they think you got money your there best friend ,.......if you dress like a tramp and have tattoos all over your body then what do you exspect,......pmsl....

some head keepers on big commercial shoots get mega bucks in tips per year,.......one on the longleat estate use too get 50,000 a year in tips and I have no reason not too believe it as Ive been on smaller shoots and heard they get 1000 a day in tips ,....and more perks , I know it aint all glory as a lot of hours go inn per season,.......but you see how the money makes them think there something special,........ive only been on a couple of shoots through me mate and we go beating when there in need and we get some nice perks, and the only two keepers I met through me mate are sound......you help them out and they sort you out ,.......when the weathers better were going too help put a new penn up..........summer is an exciting time on shoots as theres always problems that need sorting and when me mate rings cause they need a hand ,.....we jump at it .....

enjoy the perks.......but I understand exactly what you mean ,.........it must go too there head a lot of the time ,......some aint got the time of day too speak too mear peasants like me ......

• Like 1