crap start to dogs first season

Guest SHOT

just wondering how many folk on here run dogs with toes missing,?its been a crap start to the season so far with this young bitch a few runs on the lamp like last night and then its hobbling for a week or so.

months back she damaged ligaments in a toe vet said it shouldnt affect her running.i should have had it removed there an then.

had some good advice on the phone tonight to get it done so thats what i,ll be on with in the next few days... to be honest shes carried the other foot on occassion to after being lightly worked..piss poor feet.

megggggggg1.jpg

Edited by SHOT

I'd just spay her and get her into a home with someone who's maybe just a weekend moocher. Probably be a lot less expensive for you, and a lot less painful for her. No point in moving her on to someone who might breed her if she's got dodgy feet.

remainding toes will be put under a lot of pressure & probs get injured too, i.e they support each other.

cheers lads thats my worry chubs she runs like an old track dog to..

a better look at the toe you cant miss it,i,ll have the toe off anyway see how it goes after that.

meg33.jpg

Edited by SHOT

Hi mate,

I have a bitch who got a realy bad infection in her front outside toe, 2 months on antibiotics did not sort it, so with advice from my Vet i had her toe off................ Took a couple of months to heal properly, but now she has no problem at all with it, the only thing i would say is give time to heal and then some as the skin is very thin.

Cheers Gary

Which toe on her foot is it? Inside and outside toes bear a lot of strain when the dog is turning. Had to have both and inside and outside toe removed on 2 different dog: they were OK, but after a season other problems started to rear their head: sore shoulder, not turning properly on fast turning quarry, then on one bitch the toe next to the missing toe got badly knocked up cos of the undue strain. I'd only have a toe removed as a last resort and don't expect miracles.

If the dog has poor feet anyway it will, IMO, just add to the problem, though if you can't run her at all at the moment then its worth a try.

A lot does depend on the dog's running style as well: if it's a floater (like some Saluki types) it will notice the loss less than a sprinter type.

I'd just spay her and get her into a home with someone who's maybe just a weekend moocher. Probably be a lot less expensive for you, and a lot less painful for her. No point in moving her on to someone who might breed her if she's got dodgy feet.

Why not keep her and deal with it?

For :censored: sake, where's the 'a dogs for life' thinking gone :angry:

Feet and toes need loads of time to heal properly, and even though they look 'sorted' they can still pose a problem - even for a weekend moocher!

Stick with her, listen to the advice and give her time. You say it's her first season so there's no rush!

Crow

Shot, my brother had a whippetxgrey a few years ago,use to come back hobbling after as little as two or three runs.Old gypo that used to let us run the dogs on his fields,told him to give the dog plenty of roadwork,he said it would tighten the dogs feet up.It was a different dog after,hardly ever had bother with it again.Before that my brother only used to walk the dog for 15 mins before work,and run it two or three nights a week.

cheers,skycat it is front leg, the white middle toe in the left of the picture, toes permanently out stretched with a callous on the joint,

From what you say it sounds like you don't have much choice in the matter. Running a dog with that kind of foot damage is only asking for more trouble. You are risking yet another break to that toe not to mention ligament damage. Get your dog down to the vet asap and I hope it all works out for you both.