How To Start A Pup Bushing

born2hunt81

Scruff of the neck and a good hard swing usually does the trick !, No seriously though just basic retrieve training with something like a dummy bunny (real fur is best) around hedgerows and gradually start throwing into light cover and build up to deeper more dense cover once she gets the idea eventually youll have a harder time keeping her out the bushes, most spaniels want to work cover anyway its just a matter of time before the drive kicks in.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Was in your situation about 2 years ago had a Jack Russell an didn't no what to do my friends dog was smashing the bushes . I said lovely I'll use her to train pup . The time came an everytime wanted to go on a walk to get pup goin . My (friend) was never interested in comin nor lending me his terrier . Prick I taught I was f****d sure out I went any ways an after abou a couple of trips she was flying . I soon realised they born for it they either have or they don't . . Keen as you get wanting to please you all time . . Never get annoyed with your pup or impatient. I honestly used to pick her up in my arms so she could see what I could an kept sayin watch em about the grazers on the edge of the ditch she soon sussed what I was showing her . Then over to the opening where the rabbit had ran in . Telling her get em out . And away in the Bush she went . . . Try it worked for me . . . Now days it's "get em out " and she's off . . Once she picks up smell or Evan sight of a bunny she be hooked

• Like 1

I got a 9 month old cocker she follows sent but as only saw 1 rabbit in middle of the field that she knocked up but how do I get her going in bushes ect looking for the rabbits I want her to send them out for my lurcher thanks

dont do any other training with her until she starts to hunt. just take her to the same places where there is smell. She will become familiar and get confidence quicker. Take her out at least once a day and two or three if possible,always on the same route,but it must have rabbits about for her to smell. good luck