Mole Traps

hello guys, i have been asked by a farmer if i can do a bit of mole trapping for him and i am wondering what type of traps to use, i have never done it before but i am willing to get into trapping them, i have a few farmers ask me if i can do it but i had to tell them no, so it is time to learn this skill because it could lead to bigger and better things so any advice given is very welcome, thanks, rabbitmad. :icon_eek:

Hmmm, I'm not sure about Flat Packs to be honest....

I've got about a hundred of them; in fact, I set a few today.. but there are a number of problems with them....

Firstly, like all modern traps, compromises have been made to help ease manufacture which have made them less than perfect. When you compare them with an original trap made by J N Duffus himself, you will notice some significant differences.... The Duffus family designed their trap with trapping moles in mind.... all the modern versions have been designed with profit and ease of manufacturing in mind.. they are all copies of copies, and it shows...

Anyway, onto the Flatpack itself.

Like all modern traps, a degree of 'modification' is needed to make them effective..., OK, so the FP needs slightly less modification than some, but it does still need a bit of 'tuning'. Here lies the first problem... the triggers are simply too hard to make the essential 'tweaks' easy....

And then for the major problem I have with them... below, you can see a picture of a trap that's less than a year old (when the picture was taken)... now, granted, my traps have to work hard to earn their keep, and live underground for much of the year... but, really?

1354718600362_zpsdaa6142e.jpg

Now, I'm a big fan of Bethel Rhodes traps.... in fact, the FP is a copy of the Bethel Rhodes trap, not because the BR is perfect, or even a close comparison to it's forebear, the real Duffus trap, but because the finish is good, and they are easy to tune up. When a british manufacturer actually produces a trap akin to the original Duffus trap, that lasts as well as the original, I'll buy them buy the hundreds and sing it from the rooftops....

In the meantime, to answer the original question; the FP is OK, the BR is better, but for the novice moletrapper you'll find it easiest to get hold of the Magnum Trap Company and buy in some of Asia's answer to the Duffus.............. The Talpa Trap.

Hmmm, I'm not sure about Flat Packs to be honest....

I've got about a hundred of them; in fact, I set a few today.. but there are a number of problems with them....

Firstly, like all modern traps, compromises have been made to help ease manufacture which have made them less than perfect. When you compare them with an original trap made by J N Duffus himself, you will notice some significant differences.... The Duffus family designed their trap with trapping moles in mind.... all the modern versions have been designed with profit and ease of manufacturing in mind.. they are all copies of copies, and it shows...

Anyway, onto the Flatpack itself.

Like all modern traps, a degree of 'modification' is needed to make them effective..., OK, so the FP needs slightly less modification than some, but it does still need a bit of 'tuning'. Here lies the first problem... the triggers are simply too hard to make the essential 'tweaks' easy....

And then for the major problem I have with them... below, you can see a picture of a trap that's less than a year old (when the picture was taken)... now, granted, my traps have to work hard to earn their keep, and live underground for much of the year... but, really?

1354718600362_zpsdaa6142e.jpg

Now, I'm a big fan of Bethel Rhodes traps.... in fact, the FP is a copy of the Bethel Rhodes trap, not because the BR is perfect, or even a close comparison to it's forebear, the real Duffus trap, but because the finish is good, and they are easy to tune up. When a british manufacturer actually produces a trap akin to the original Duffus trap, that lasts as well as the original, I'll buy them buy the hundreds and sing it from the rooftops....

In the meantime, to answer the original question; the FP is OK, the BR is better, but for the novice moletrapper you'll find it easiest to get hold of the Magnum Trap Company and buy in some of Asia's answer to the Duffus.............. The Talpa Trap.

Matt, the original flatpack didn't have the delta protekt coating they later added, the originals corroded more like shown on your post..

Like Ian says, the Flatpacks from the last 3 years or so don't corrode like they used to. I saw some of the Bethel traps that Donks brought and can't say I was very impressed. Never had any problem tuning the Flatpack traps, but other than the mumble pins they work just fine straight from the box for most moles.

Like Ian says, the Flatpacks from the last 3 years or so don't corrode like they used to. I saw some of the Bethel traps that Donks brought and can't say I was very impressed. Never had any problem tuning the Flatpack traps, but other than the mumble pins they work just fine straight from the box for most moles.

Yep, I've heard that already :thumbs:

The thing is.... FP weren't exactly forthcoming with an apology or an offer to replace the duff traps or even reimburse me for the expense of coating them in Speed Dip.

I haven't bought any more, and don't plan to either... :no:

The Bethel Rhodes are far from perfect; I had a heated conversation with the guy in charge of the shop floor last year because of the standard of traps they were sending out at that time. His attitude was that they'd made them like that for 30+ years, so it must be fine....

If you've never done it; get your hands on the real McCoy if you can :thumbs: They are quite something to see and feel; you can feel the love and dedication that's gone into designing and making them and they put the modern crap to shame....

Last year I bought literally hundreds of Bethel Rhodes traps; some to use, and some to sell on. I'm not selling them at present because I'm not happy about putting my name to traps that are burred and soft as shite and until I get word from BR that they've sorted them out I won't be either :no:

BUT........ given the choice, I prefer to buy British, and the BR is the only british trap that I'd recommend (reluctantly) at present :yes: