More Rubbish Publicity!!!

As I walked through the door at work this morning I here "your bloody lot at it again", with our resident twitcher proffering a newspaper at me.

Its taken me years of explaining about how vermin control is important, in managing habitats and controlling populations, to have it undone by some idiots with no respect or morals. It just seems another nail in the coffin for all us responsible shooters. I have put a link to the article below.

http://www.champnews.com/newsstory.aspx?story=3048371

Edited by Brackenharley

1) Did they have permission to be there? Does not say they did not.

2) What exactly were they aiming at? Where I go shooting there are birds I can shoot amongst birds I am not legally allowed to shoot.

3) Birdwatchers are a hysterical sort who like to blow things out of proportion. Someone aiming at a woodpigeon will be described as a poacher shooting a lesser marbled nut warbler or something similar.

4) The shooters showed remarkable restraint by leaving without letting the pellets fly at the birdwatchers or ramming the barrels somewhere the sun does not shine! Poachers are not usually so polite or so easily spotted!

5) You only have one side of the story there, wait until the other side is presented before coming to a conclusion!

Edited by secretagentmole
  • Like 3

1) Did they have permission to be there? Does not say they did not.

2) What exactly were they aiming at? Where I go shooting there are birds I can shoot amongst birds I am not legally allowed to shoot.

3) Birdwatchers are a hysterical sort who like to blow things out of proportion. Someone aiming at a woodpigeon will be described as a poacher shooting a lesser marbled nut warbler or something similar.

4) The shooters showed remarkable restraint by leaving without letting the pellets fly at the birdwatchers or ramming the barrels somewhere the sun does not shine! Poachers are not usually so polite or so easily spotted!

5) You only have one side of the story there, wait until the other side is presented before coming to a conclusion!

very vague content, the usual ploy, opposite protected land, appeared to be, shouted to stop them, drove off, amazing all that and not one scrap of actual evidence not even a dead bird or stranger still a number plate, perhaps their bino`s were fogged up, this stuff has been used against dog work for years, i fear it will only get worse for shooters,

How can the police officers brand anything as "reckless" without coming to a conclusion of their investigation and without knowing whether there is any truth in their claims whatsoever?

surely the police should have remained impartial until facts found

• Like 2

Having just read where a child was held from boarding a plane with his mother at a US airport while the security enforcement officers "Disarmed and made safe" the tiny plastic gun from the little lad's Toystory 'Woody' Cowboy doll; it's a wonder people these days don't fall down in a faint at the sight of guns that actually fire something.

I don't know what to make of this. Perhaps it is enough that shooting on land where we have permission to enter and shoot to cull/control pests is our one strongest suit. If lads go out onto land where no permission is granted, especially where the public has right of access and there are wildfowl sancturies, nature sancuturies of some sort, there's bound to be a conflict. And the Police clearly will act in the assumption that some wrongdoing has taken place.

Sadly, we no longer live in the same age I was brought up in. When shooting was a sport widely enjoyed and accepted as part of everyday rural life, before people's common sense and basic intelligence was replaced with bullshit fear and Politically Correct hysteria was allowed to flourish and get a grip on the average person's psyche. This is no longer a free country, we are no longer a free people and most people today are mostly frightened by everything they read or see in the media.

That's why I think that, if these lads went onto land they have no right of permission to be on, carrying air rifles in open view of Mr & Mrs Twitcher, who have been conditioned, terrified and outraged long before, with "Tales" of airgun vandalism and cruelty it's bound to end in a one-sided rant against the shooters.

It's just another story in petrified, muted and disarmed Britain to me.

• Like 3

”It is against the law to be in possession of an air rifle in a public place and thankfully no one was hurt.

not quite...

when im in a public place with my air rifle (in its bag, unloaded, on the way to my permission) im not braking the law.

if 'they' want to start quoting facts like this then they should at least get them right.

e.g. "it is against the law to be in possession of a loaded air rifle in a public place"

they do your head in!
thers 'gun crime' in my local paper every other week!
'dangerous firearms' being seized.. more like a little Chinese springer and an air arms s410 that's more than likely sub 12 ftlb.
what a load of bullocks

• Like 1

”It is against the law to be in possession of an air rifle in a public place and thankfully no one was hurt.

not quite...

when im in a public place with my air rifle (in its bag, unloaded, on the way to my permission) im not braking the law.

if 'they' want to start quoting facts like this then they should at least get them right.

e.g. "it is against the law to be in possession of a loaded air rifle in a public place"

they do your head in!

thers 'gun crime' in my local paper every other week!

'dangerous firearms' being seized.. more like a little Chinese springer and an air arms s410 that's more than likely sub 12 ftlb.

what a load of bullocks

Actually it's:

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

[F45(a)a loaded shot gun,

(B)an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

©any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)an imitation firearm.]

So It doesn't matter if it's loaded or not if you don't have a reasonable excuse.

Simon

• Like 1

What a load of one sided shite, trouble is its these lot that make it harder to gain permission due to the hassle they can cause.

It depends where you are iv been mooching around all week with the dog and rifle nobody bats an eyelid. If I did that at home it wouldnt be 10 minutes before the squad turned up spouting shite.

What a load of one sided shite, trouble is its these lot that make it harder to gain permission due to the hassle they can cause.

It depends where you are iv been mooching around all week with the dog and rifle nobody bats an eyelid. If I did that at home it wouldnt be 10 minutes before the squad turned up spouting shite.

Jornalism, like many things(for example Eley Wasps), is not what it used to be!