Long Nets//// Purse Nets..

We use them a fair bit for the hedges and round gorse patchs, we find them really useful and a ideal back up to stop bolters or net slippers.

I don't ferret in a 'gang' or 'group' not my thing being a bit anti-social, so its about speed we find the longnets/stopnets and a splattering of pursenets a good speed efficient method for most places.

The worse bit with the fixed pole longnets is lugging them about, that's why I now prefer to take a couple of Traditional light weight nets when we have a fair walk :thumbs:

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 4

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No mate,,, I'm rock hard,,,, no fox dare bite me lol,,,   No lads it was already dead next to the warren,,,, keeper had shot it the night befor,,,, I got breeze to take the pic,,, we couldn't resist

Think this pic need another airing,,,lol  

Used Long nets, Gate nets, Ditch nets and every other type of rabbiting net,...all my life...   We all have our prefered methods,.but over five decades (and several thousand rabbits later) , I have

Just wondered how many of the veteran ferreters used long nets when they started out? I'm in my 40s and when I started everyone I knew used purse nets. Maybe that was just how it was done where I lived. I know some people have always used long nets ferreting but was it as common as it is now? When we were kids we could not afford locaters so a ferret not showing could turn into a right palaver of squeking down holes etc rather than a quick go with the locater and out with the spade! Do people who use long nets a lot think they dig more due to hole hoppers?

if your just using long nets, and no purse nets, you should get less digs, as you aint tramplin over burys to deal with netted bunnys. we were out today again, couple of hours and 2 warrens done, used long nets and a few purse nets. 20 odd bunnys and not a dig. and these are actualy ferrets we dig regular

• Like 2

A lot of people use them for big earths because they want to save time on netting up but then you get the head ache of hole hoppers. Then the rabbits hole hopping soon sees you and then without doubt next event to happen is a dig. I've got longs nets but I prefer to purse net and stop net where I can. Nothing more frustrating than jumping when they bolt then they go back down the nearest hole!

Just wondered how many of the veteran ferreters used long nets when they started out?

I'm in my 40s and when I started everyone I knew used purse nets. Maybe that was just how it was done where I lived. I know some people have always used long nets ferreting but was it as common as it is now?

Used Long nets, Gate nets, Ditch nets and every other type of rabbiting net,...all my life... :laugh:

We all have our prefered methods,.but over five decades (and several thousand rabbits later) , I have come to the conclusion that it is favourite to use whatever method, that works best for you,...simple really.. :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 5

just to add.... why do folk think that hole hoppers will need dug out because they have seen you.. yet think nowt of running over warrens to dispatch a bunny in a purse net, or to reset a net the ferret has moved lol do you think the noise of this makes them the bunnys stick it out with ferrets lol

• Like 1

i agree phil, thing with purse nets is, with a bit of thought they can be used almost evverywhere, not a chance of using long net or dog evrytime. i like the belt and braces approach if i honest, nowt as amatuerish than havin folk watchin and bunny slips net and gets away lol so i stack oddw in my favour lol nowt worse than havin to catch same bunny twice lol

• Like 1

I like to run a longnet through a hedge and bolt rabbits towards it with dog to help them along. I have set the long net 5yrds out then 5yrds in and so on, like this (vvvvv) along the hedge to prevent the rabbit running between the hedge and the longnet. I haven't used locaters for two seasons and we haven't had to wait for ferrets much either. I don't avoid using pursnets as you can gradually build up the bag by ferreting small sets of up to 10 - 15 holes, it would be pointless sometimes running a longnet around a warren of this size when you are gonna bolt three or less rabbits. If I was to ferret a wood I would rather drop purse nets down otherwise you spend most of your time untangling the masses of twigs from your 6z nylon longnet.

Edited by REW

tbh with you jim, my days of pics are done, i just dont take any, and i used to post days out but it become shite whem you spent a while writing one, and got replys, yet the attention seeking members and there pointless threads get page after page of replys lol. my ferretin partner is on here as bazb, aswell as some other guys who come here ferretin an lamping. i would say i'll start just postin just for you jim lol but truth is we were only talking today about wrappin up next week for summer, if i remember i will get some pics this week and throw a few sentances in lol

• Like 3

tbh with you jim, my days of pics are done, i just dont take any, and i used to post days out but it become shite whem you spent a while writing one, and got replys, yet the attention seeking members and there pointless threads get page after page of replys lol. my ferretin partner is on here as bazb, aswell as some other guys who come here ferretin an lamping. i would say i'll start just postin just for you jim lol but truth is we were only talking today about wrappin up next week for summer, if i remember i will get some pics this week and throw a few sentances in lol

THATS A SHAME HOT MEAT ,,IM NOT 1 FOR BUYING THE SUN,, BUT I DO LIKE LOOKING AT PICS,,,, NOT 1 FOR TO MUCH WRITEING THOUGH,, :cray: ,