Long Nets//// Purse Nets..

OVER THE YEARS IVE SEEN LONG NETS GET USED MORE AND MORE,,, YET THE BAG OF RABBIT HAVE NOT INCREASED,, MESELF I DONT OWN 1,, NOT TOTALLY AGAINST THEM,,,, SOME SETS THEY WILL HAVE THE ADVANTAGE,,, WERE YOU CAN NOT NET THEM,,

BUT THEN YOU HERE AND SEE SOME GUYS PUT A LONG NET ROUND A SET OF 25 HOLE S OR LESS,,,,ON A OPEN BANK,,I CAN NOT SEE THE POINT RABBITS BOLTS GO S IN THE LONG NET ALL FINE,, IFF THE BUNNY DROPS BACK IN HOLE HOPEING HAS WE CALL HIT YOU MAY HAVE A DEEP DIG,,,,,, WERE THE PURSE NET GAME 3 GUYS WITH A BIT OF SPEED ABOUT THEM CAN GET 60 NETS DOWN IN NO TIME,,,,, THE BUNNY BOLTS HITS IN THE NET, IFF HIT SLIPS THE NET HIT MITE BACK NET,,,,AND IFF HITS GETS AWAY SO WHAT YOU NEED THE ODD 1 TO BREED,,,LOL BUT YOU WILL NOT BE DIGGING TO A DEEP BUNNY WHATS GONE BACK IN THE SET,,,,,, OR TRYING TO BOLT HIT FOR THE 2ND TIME,,,,WHEN HIT COULD OF BIN KILLED THE 1 ST TIME OUT,,,,,

Edited by tjones3862

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No mate,,, I'm rock hard,,,, no fox dare bite me lol,,,   No lads it was already dead next to the warren,,,, keeper had shot it the night befor,,,, I got breeze to take the pic,,, we couldn't resist

Think this pic need another airing,,,lol  

Used Long nets, Gate nets, Ditch nets and every other type of rabbiting net,...all my life...   We all have our prefered methods,.but over five decades (and several thousand rabbits later) , I have

OVER THE YEARS IVE SEEN LONG NETS GET USED MORE AND MORE,,, YET THE BAG OF RABBIT HAVE NOT INCREASED,, MESELF I DONT OWN 1,, NOT TOTALLY AGAINST THEM,,,, SOME SETS THEY WILL HAVE THE ADVANTAGE,,, WERE YOU CAN NOT NET THEM,,

BUT THEN YOU HERE AND SEE SOME GUYS PUT A LONG NET ROUND A SET OF 25 HOLE S OR LESS,,,,ON A OPEN BANK,,I CAN NOT SEE THE POINT RABBITS BOLTS GO S IN THE LONG NET ALL FINE,, IFF THE BUNNY DROPS BACK IN YOU MAY HAVE A DEEP DIG,,,,,, WERE THE PURSE NET GAME 3 GUYS WITH A BIT OF SPEED ABOUT THEM CAN GET 60 NETS DOWN IN NO TIME,,,,, THE BUNNY BOLTS HITS IN THE NET, IFF HIT SLIPS THE NET HIT MITE BACK NET,,,,AND IFF HITS GETS AWAY SO WHAT YOU NEED THE ODD 1 TO BREED,,,LOL BUT YOU WILL NOT BE DIGGING TO A DEEP BUNNY WHATS GONE BACK IN THE SET,,,,,, OR TRYING TO BOLT HIT FOR THE 2ND TIME,,,,WHEN HIT COULD OF BIN KILLED THE 1 ST TIME OUT,,,,,

Think since hunting ban more folks probs out with dogs . On a lot of my ground turn up mob handed they don't like it at all even more so folk they haven't met , and if your on ground that's no for dogs and you've just emptied your entire net bag on a warren it's a bit disheartening . I kind of like the rabbits bolting before they hit the long net . It's all about horses for corses of corses : ) enjoy laying a few nets time to time but if on me jack just lay on the real nice looking holes .

Im the same i prefer to put down loads of purse nets , there only one permission i would use my long nets i would run three along the top of a old railway and still fire down 300 purse nets then ferret it then swing the nets round and reset the purse nets have lunch and ferret the other halve we got great bags of rabbits and never lost a rabbit that way

THIS WAS THE LAST TIME USED 1 ,,LOL THE YOUNG LAD TURNED UP WITH 1,, ON THE DAY,,,,LET ME USE LET ME USE HIT,,LOL WE PUT IT DOWN A COUPLE OF TIMES,,,, WE GOT ABOUT 4/5/6....THE AMOUNT OF RABBS WHAT HOLE HOPT,,, DONE ME HEAD IN ,,, WE PUT THE NET AWAY,,, AND ADD A HALF DECENCT DAY,,,,

100_2096_zps72f59b4c.jpg

100_2100_zps7c56f515.jpg

• Like 1
Guest scramble

Its like anything in this game you soon learn where to place your longnet or stop nets :yes: how many times have we seen nets strung parallel to a hedge line instead cutting through?? no one method will work in every situation.

Edited by scramble

Considering up until a week ago all I had for over a decade was Bisley 4 oz purse nets; now I have a few more nets I still don't own a long net... And you know what? I haven't thought... I really really need one. I have thought 'I really need more purse nets' mind...

Long nets are great when used properly. They are interception catchers, IE they catch rabbits when they are heading for a particular place. As has been said on big open warrens with no place of saftey nearby for the rabbits to head too, they are not at their best unless you sub divide inside the outer ring of netting, even then they are not that effective and purse nets will win every time.

Where they do out score purse nets is on hedgerows and used sensibly they can save a lot of time and effort and increase the bag considerably.

TC

• Like 3

Was out weekend,.just schooling my wee cur puppy,...and teaching her the netting game.... :thumbs:

Purse nets were the order of the day.

I particularly enjoyed watching the youngster, standing back up behind a bury,.listening to, and feeling the bolt, rumbling under her feet, coming ever closer.... :boogy:

This early education towards the ferreting game, usually produces the style of lurcher that I need.

Not all dogs take to this game,..hence the often lengthy period of allowing them, to learn their trade...Long Nets, Purse nets, Ditch nets,.whatever,..they all have their uses,...same as veteran rabbit catchers :laugh:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2

Was out weekend,.just schooling my wee cur puppy,...and teaching her the netting game.... :thumbs:

Purse nets were the order of the day.

I particularly enjoyed watching the youngster, standing back up behind a bury,.listening to, and feeling the bolt, rumbling under her feet, coming ever closer.... :boogy:

This early education towards the ferreting game, usually produces the style of lurcher that I need.

We are frequently using the Long Nets on the large chalk warrens and lengthy hedgerow buries...On a lot of the partridge shoots locally,..the stubble fields are bordered by high, dense hedges,..especially suited to partridge driving...

The hedges are left nice and thick, to encourage birds to flip up and over, fast and high towards the waiting guns...

It is often awkward to bash into these thick hedges to lay purse nets,..so,.in this instance, we usually look for a natural gap and break the warren by running short 'stop nets' through accessible alleyways...

Other, long nets are run,.zig-zag fashion all along the perimeter,.and sometimes we seem to have enough netting run out, to rival the deep sea trawlermen.. :laugh:

As for dogs,.well,..personally,..I like them clued up as to what we are trying to do, and fully aware of the business in hand. I have found,.over many, many years,.. that you do not need a dog pacing up and down, in front of a long net (nor a man for that matter)...and it has always been favourable to encourage a rabbiting dog to be in the thick of things,.waiting to push his rabbit out of the hedge or along the length of it...

OBVIOUSLY,.not all dogs take to this game,..hence the often lengthy period of allowing them, to learn their trade...

Long Nets, Purse nets, Ditch nets,.whatever,..they all have their uses,...same as veteran rabbit catchers :laugh:

It does make me chuckle sometimes when you see people standing in front of the nets they want to bolt rabbits into.

TC

Edited by tiercel

Have tried the longnets in two types of ground, on a hill which we do, you very rarely get hole hoppers they usually bolt at speed and hit the webs.

On other sandy flat ground with a lot of burys they didn't work, as the rabbits just hole hopped.

I wouldn't go out without the purse nets, but a few stop nets are also a handy tool in the tool box.

As been said when I started ferreting, no one would would use longnets for ferreting.

and I never saw a longnet basket, it was the traditional that was used here.

WE were out doing a new permission big old burrows 50 /70 holes i was using purse nets my son and Izzatt lad where using a long net and i was getting slatted we will do more than you get a bigger bag etc . I ended up with the most rabbits they where hole hoppers and my purse nets picked them up . Ive no doubts longs nets have there place and are usefull but i would still put a sprinkling of purse nets down

I started using longnets this season. Had a couple of realy enjoyable sessions ferreting big clumps of brambles in a horse paddock. First session was longnets only and I had a few hole hoppers, second session I also took 20 purse nets and caught them as they were entering or exiting.

I like both longnets and purse nets but longnets are a nice lazy way of doing things.