"daisy And Sid's Big Day Out"

Krawnden, I always breed at least 1 litter per year but this year there will be 2 at least, these next 2 litters should be a bit special as Plummers go but until tested and ran on who knows ?? I don't think I will breed a litter of russells or hybrids this year though, WM

What makes you think they'll be a bit special? Although I've kept running dogs since God's dog was a pup I'm a complete novice with terriers so keen to learn. I've never seen any Plummers in action. The few pictures I've seen of them always look quite leggy - are they still able to get into really thick cover (like those tight clumps of brambles that rabbits love that look like anything bigger than a rabbit would struggle to push in)?

Thanks,

Andrew

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few more of the day, WM     "Sid decides he likes this job and its his"          

Well today being a fine day I thought I'd go over and meet a mate for a couple of hours on a farm I was asked to control the rabbits on,I don't have a grown lurcher at the moment so he was bringing hi

I don't really have an average day as I take quite a few different lads out to help me with ferreting, pest control, etc, I normally take 3 terriers and a lurcher myself and it just depends what my gu

Sorry WM, also meant to ask - for bushing rabbits in thick cover d'you prefer Plummers or Plummer/russell hybrids and why?

Mate, the only difference in my terrier types is coat pattern, all my terriers are good at what they do, Plummers are only a Russell type anyway, as regards size all I keep are small terriers and I would put my dogs against any others in a heartbeat, if there are better cover dogs that catch as much then I'd like to see them, this is something I've done for over 42 yrs and my current pack is as good as any I've had in that time, these next Plummer pups are unique in their breeding as there will not be any bred this way, WM

WM thanks for the offer will try and tag along if Col pops over to you, although i dont see alot of him these days, my old man does keeps in touch though. Always liked the look of your Plummers and enjoyed your pics keep it up. Would have liked to have had a pup of Cols litter myself if I had the room, he sorted my mate out a few years back with a lovely little black lurcher and he wasnt disappointed, my old man had the same line as Cols going back when i was a kid and they were all good dogs and pets for that matter. Good look with little Sid, sure he will do well for you if he is from Cols stuff, he is definitely a full on dog man lol and gives them plenty of work atb Matt.

WM thanks for the offer will try and tag along if Col pops over to you, although i dont see alot of him these days, my old man does keeps in touch though. Always liked the look of your Plummers and enjoyed your pics keep it up. Would have liked to have had a pup of Cols litter myself if I had the room, he sorted my mate out a few years back with a lovely little black lurcher and he wasnt disappointed, my old man had the same line as Cols going back when i was a kid and they were all good dogs and pets for that matter. Good look with little Sid, sure he will do well for you if he is from Cols stuff, he is definitely a full on dog man lol and gives them plenty of work atb Matt.

Matt, Colin and Trev want a Plummer out of my next litter after seeing my dogs, thanks for the reply, WM

Thought I'd put a few more pics up from yesterday,they've been out with me everyday this week and "Daisy" is smashing the cover,she's caught a few bunnies with the other terriers in heavy cover,"Sid" has continued his progress on the retrieving front and shows a good understanding of what we're doing when out,he positions himself well to catch plenty when he gets up to size,I'm made up with both these pups as they already fit in well to the pack way of sharing and thinking, WM

• Like 2

Cracking dogs, I do envy your life style.

I was offered an apprentice game keeping position as a young teenager and I wish I had followed it in some ways.

How regular do your dogs catch in cover, although I like the idea of bushing I have always done it with the shotgun, what the dog caught was just a bonus.

Cracking dogs, I do envy your life style.

I was offered an apprentice game keeping position as a young teenager and I wish I had followed it in some ways.

How regular do your dogs catch in cover, although I like the idea of bushing I have always done it with the shotgun, what the dog caught was just a bonus.

My dogs catch everyday,sometimes a few but othertimes a lot,between 6 or 10 would be an average day out,they don't just do rabbits though, WM

a few from today

• Like 2

The dog on the left is the last dog I had, a heinz 57. She had a knack of catching rabbits in crops, the odd pheasent and rats and mink were fair game back in the day. She was keen on fox, but I never gave her the chance to take one herself.

Probably too big to catch in cover but could shift in the open.

I would never have expected her to catch rabbits, they were usually flushed. It would be good to get out with a pack, but hunting for me has always been a personal thing and I never got in with other people.

I am picking up a Plummer pup later in the week, dad is getting a sister to her, so I am looking forward to next season. Will get a smallish lurcher to compliment them next year.

• Like 1