• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did you ever know Chris H, Matt ....? He had swan in his freezer too. Offered me a taste, once. I couldn't fancy it though as he'd had it in there for god knows how long.   The Sunday afternoon he

Interesting comments from all concerned..   I've spent a long time, pursuing pests,..mostly animals,.but a few two legged animals as well,..   Facts are, when it comes to rats,.this Neophobia bus

I'm pretty sure a dog, even a fairly small one, would make a fairly big lump under the insulation and therefore be quite easy to find.

one of my mates labs swallowed 1 poisoned rat and nearly died,so don't think it takes a lot of poison to kill a dog,and remember poison should always be a last resort,put a fen trap in front of youre cage trap so it will have to climb over it to get to the food,wf

Sorry, but that is utter rubbish.

It takes a huge amount of rodenticide bait to kill a dog, and a vast amount of dead rats.

Unless the rat had been baited with something like Zinc Phosphide, which was withdrawn in 2006.

Part of the problem is that vets are over cautious and prescribe Vitamin K treatments to make money at the first sign of any potential poisoning.

one of my mates labs swallowed 1 poisoned rat and nearly died,so don't think it takes a lot of poison to kill a dog,and remember poison should always be a last resort,put a fen trap in front of youre cage trap so it will have to climb over it to get to the food,wf

Sorry, but that is utter rubbish.

It takes a huge amount of rodenticide bait to kill a dog, and a vast amount of dead rats.

Unless the rat had been baited with something like Zinc Phosphide, which was withdrawn in 2006.

Part of the problem is that vets are over cautious and prescribe Vitamin K treatments to make money at the first sign of any potential poisoning.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

The LD 50 for dogs is high for all the recognised approved anti coagulants, to suffer any poisoning issues through secondary poisoning would take a massive intake of contaminated rodents.

If this dog had an issue with eating a dead rat I suspect he caught a disease, it didn't poison him!

do you guys think the rat was possibly carrying some sort of desease,before it eat the poison,wf

A rat carrying a disease...never heard of anything so preposterous! :laugh::thumbs:

How about Weil’s disease, Salmonella, Tuberculosis, Cryptosporidiosis, E.Coli, Foot and mouth disease, etc, then there was a scurrilous rumour about the Plague as well. :yes::thumbs:

Edited by Deker

If you're having problems with wary rats, then have you thought of using an electronic trap instead such as this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/procter-electronic-rat-killer/76836?kpid=76836&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CI-ik4DM6bwCFQkUwwod16oA6Q

The point with these is if a rat has become wary of traps, then this uses a different method - electrified plates rather than a trigger plate so they won't have seen this before.

Also, I believe you can put the bait in the back beyond the plates so the rat has no choice but to cross the plates to get the food.