What's Better .177 Or .22

use the search function and prepare to read hundreds of pages, there is no answer, it boils down to whatever suits you best for what you do, we all have personal preferences based on experience with both calibres and its up to you to find out, same with pellets, barrels have different preferences so don`t ask that one next, up to you to try as much as you can

• Like 3

Firstly welcome Pickles.

My 45 yrs airgunning experience says .22 to 35 yds and .177 no further than 50 yds "period". "ALL" headshots unless you are a seasoned airgunner to include heart/lung shots out to 50 yds tops.

Both calibres do the job easily but .177 is far more forgiving with accuracy and trajectory but not as hard hitting as .22 - .177 is all about accuracy. I use .177 and I am disappointed in myself if I miss .My bags have increased a lot since using a HW 100 kt .177.

Just my humble opinion - atb.

Edited by mark williams

My opinion for rats I have just bought a bobcat in .177 , its a learning curve for me as previously shot with a W100KT .22 . Went out shooting rats last night as it was a dry clear night, hit a few rats at approx. 20-25 yards and one shot and belly up, then shot rats at a closer range 10-15 yards and they were jumpers requiring a follow up shot!! WTF going on here I thought!! On closer inspection of dead rats shot at closer range found the pellet had gone right through the body so dropped power to 2nd level on rifle and hey presto back in business. So think .22 has more smack down but got to say pleased with rifle and .177 so far.Ps I mostly go for head shots before someone says body shots are different or heart and lungs just below neck. never take a shot unless I can kill it humanely.