I have never fished for pike before but am interested to start as I have a few good spots on my doorstep well near enough I'm thinking about bait for them but what do I need for it and any other info is greatly appreciated if there is a thread already on this could some one direct me please

for bait you can use mackeral sprats lamprey smelts or course fish ie dead roach or small trout and you will need strong fishing line 12pounds and upto about 15pounds some drilled lead bullets a couple of pike floats and treble hooks on a wire trace and some swan shots and a good strong carp rod

Edited by pip1968
  • Like 1

And a couple of pairs of forceps and wire cutters (essential)have you any experience of unhooking pike mate? please don't be one of them people who catches one and then wonders how to get the hooks out :blink: seen it way to many times :yes: if you've no experience I would strongly recommend going with somebody who has,its easy once you know how,but if you get a deep hooked fish that needs unhooking through the gills :blink: (it happens to us all ,even hitting runs straight away :yes: )you will struggle without the forceps/cutters.ATB Dave

• Like 2

Location is more important than bait...a couple of hours wandering around your chosen water plumbing depths would be a good start,drop offs,gravel bars to name a couple of things will attract prey fish and therefore pike.If you know where the matchmen are bagging up from,thats where the pike will be,following the shoals,any other features such as trees,weedbeds etc will hold fish.As a generalisation at this time of year the fish will be in deeper water,but this isn't always the case.Rig wise you need 30lb wire traces,15lb line (depending on how snaggy your water is)my first choice would be a suspended bait drifted to cover plenty of water at various depths,and a popped up deadbait on the other.move pegs every hour or so to find the fish.You could also try wobbling a deadbait ,this covers more water and hence more fish.In terms of rigs theres very little changed in donkeys years,ie paternosters,legering,suspended baits.By and large pike will eat most fish,everyone has their own favourites (smelt , lamprey and eel sections for me)but most fish baits will catch :thumbs: ATB Dave