My 1 year old border has just been diagnosed the vet graded stage. One. It's my first terrier I've ever owned and I'm a bit gutted to say the least. I've been told its quite common in terriers and small/ toy breeds. Is my dog destined for a poor life or is there a chance that it will not progress if it does what outcome could I expect from surgery.. I ask on here for experiences not for the vets prognosis. I bought my terrier to work although I have never done it mainly bushing and ratting will he still be capable??

Yes he may still be capable of working but it depends on the grade of the problem..Its a common problem in terriers and is usually genetic.The stifle/knee joint keeps popping off line from its socket but if it is not too severe it will pop back into line itselfs as the dog moves his leg .The dog should be ok to work with a grade 1 or grade 2 problem but the dog may well develop arthritic problems later on as he gets older.Try and keep as lean and fit as possible and you should get a good few years work out of him

Hi cluelss, i had a border with the same problem afew years back,was told by a gundog man to add devils claw into

the dogs diet.the dog lived to a good age. he also worked without a problem until he was 11.

Edited by jakaron

When age was yours diagnosed Kate?? I'll try devils claw I'm gonna try getting him swimming and looking at a few plans for a homemade treadmill will incline I've read that hill climbing helps build the muscles around the knee ,I'm out with mine all time but can't guarantee a lot of time climbing hills.