• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wish I made a catch box. I fear for my windows every time in cut the grass.......

It depends how you hold the catapult....will affect how comfortable something is...   Some catapults are made to be held a certain way... others are 'multi functional' ....   Heres the best pictur

Great stuff.......im looking forward to getting this now ....i said to the mrs " im getting a catapult ".....the look of contempt was priceless ...." aint it about time you grew up " she says   A r

Aye guys lol, not sure if you understand. I've got a couple of bits of wood that are rough templates for a walking stick. Think one of them is ash. They look perfect size for a catapult but I'm not sure if the wood will be strong enough. They must be about an inch thick. This is all by memory, it's been easy 2 years since I laid eyes on them but I know I have them.

The old boy round the corner uses ash a lot for his natural catty`s and Ive never heard of one breaking. As long as they are at least as thick as your thumb, you should be fine. That said, he keeps his as nature intended and doesnt go sanding profiles into them as this could possibly give them weak spots. He just takes the bark off and smooths any knots.

Aye guys lol, not sure if you understand. I've got a couple of bits of wood that are rough templates for a walking stick. Think one of them is ash. They look perfect size for a catapult but I'm not sure if the wood will be strong enough. They must be about an inch thick. This is all by memory, it's been easy 2 years since I laid eyes on them but I know I have them.

Here you go baw...

Check out this thread...

Ive just tested the strength of a hardwood catty...over multiplex....

Think it was ash..or beech...

The hardwood split...dangerously...

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/315331-the-strength-of-multiplex-over-hardwoods/?p=3556490

What a f****n carry on im having i thought id struggle with the ol mince pies but i can see and aim at my target no problem i just cant let go of the bb,s properly im all fingers and thumbs :D ......im using 10mm at the moment but might start trying with golf balls instead :laugh: ......i cant believe something so basic is getting the better of me.....but persistance is key though eh !

Here you go baw...

Check out this thread...

The hardwood split...dangerously...

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/315331-the-strength-of-multiplex-over-hardwoods/?p=3556490

that as absolutely no bearing at all on the quality and superiority of a natural hardwood seasoned fork . firstly if used properly a fork would never be struck like that and secondly if looked after properly seasoned hardwood lasts a lifetime .those home made forks to be honest wouldnt last two minutes out side in winter time and would be very difficult to use in the field .

What a f****n carry on im having i thought id struggle with the ol mince pies but i can see and aim at my target no problem i just cant let go of the bb,s properly im all fingers and thumbs :D ......im using 10mm at the moment but might start trying with golf balls instead :laugh: ......i cant believe something so basic is getting the better of me.....but persistance is key though eh !

gnash try changing the ammo mate .try to get to a beach or river bank find some naturally weighted pebbles as round as you can find em about three quarters of an inch in diameter .get the fork into your hand just shoot half power etc until you get the feel for it changing your grip etc .you will be surprised at the difference and obviously the more practice you get the better you get .in time youl be surprised how accurate you will get .catapults have been a lifetime passion of mine ive used one for over forty years /like lots of things these days traditions are being lost to modern society .when i can pin one of my lads down im going to hopefully get one of em out with a camcorder its just a shame im not closer to a few of the lads on here

gnash try changing the ammo mate .try to get to a beach or river bank find some naturally weighted pebbles as round as you can find em about three quarters of an inch in diameter .get the fork into your hand just shoot half power etc until you get the feel for it changing your grip etc .you will be surprised at the difference and obviously the more practice you get the better you get .in time youl be surprised how accurate you will get .catapults have been a lifetime passion of mine ive used one for over forty years /like lots of things these days traditions are being lost to modern society .when i can pin one of my lads down im going to hopefully get one of em out with a camcorder its just a shame im not closer to a few of the lads on here

Good stuff i think its great to see folk sticking with old proven methods in preference to or alongside technology......i bet its an impressive sight to see one of these things used to good effect get your lads to do a vid and post it up mate.........im just finding the bb,s too small and fiddly i drop them half a dozen times before even getting them in the pouch :D .... ill give that a go with the pebbles i think your probably right im trying to put too much power behind it i need to get shooting properly before going for power....cheers :thumbs:

Here you go baw...

Check out this thread...

The hardwood split...dangerously...http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/315331-the-strength-of-multiplex-over-hardwoods/?p=3556490

that as absolutely no bearing at all on the quality and superiority of a natural hardwood seasoned fork . firstly if used properly a fork would never be struck like that and secondly if looked after properly seasoned hardwood lasts a lifetime .those home made forks to be honest wouldnt last two minutes out side in winter time and would be very difficult to use in the field .

As far as i understood it... he was talking about a board cut 'Y' thumbstick shape cut from a board of hardwood... not a natural fork...which we all know is as strong as they come...

And if baw is an absolute beginner... then a fork hit is likely..

Here you go baw...

Check out this thread...

The hardwood split...dangerously...http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/315331-the-strength-of-multiplex-over-hardwoods/?p=3556490

As far as i understood it... he was talking about a board cut 'Y' thumbstick shape cut from a board of hardwood... not a natural fork...which we all know is as strong as they come...

no fork would ever be hit if its held correctly bpr .il hopefully get some footage posted on this thread shortly :thumbs:

• Like 1

Here you go baw...

Check out this thread...

Yea mate I was. I think I'm gonna pass on using it and just find a natural fork. Do you need to season them like I do my sticks?

Thanks brookie pal, as I said, I'm gonna get a natural one, plenty out there, sure easier than trying to find a straightish branch :laugh:

Here you go baw...

Check out this thread...

no fork would ever be hit if its held correctly bpr .il hopefully get some footage posted on this thread shortly :thumbs:

I'd beg to differ :laugh: