Sturgeon, No Plan B

going to be a busy day,

Scotland will not be allowed to share the pound with the rest of the UK if it chooses independence, the three main Westminster parties are to warn as pro-unionists turn up the pressure ahead of the September vote.

George Osborne, the chancellor, and Danny Alexander, the Liberal Democrat Treasury chief secretary (according to people close to the governments thinking), and Ed Balls, Labours shadow chancellor (party officials have confirmed), will all deliver separate warnings that Scotland should not expect to form a currency union with the UK in the event of independence. The move takes away one of the central planks of the Scottish National partys policy platform.

he warnings mark an escalation of the unionist rhetoric, with all three big parties at Westminster having thus far said only that it would be very difficult to form a currency union with an independent Scotland rather than ruling it out altogether.

The moves comes as polls show the independence cause gaining ground on the unionist side.

The SNP has made it a crucial part of its vision of independence that Scotland would be able to share the pound, rather than having to join the euro or establish its own currency.

The reports that Westminsters leading parties would join in ruling out independence drew a sharp reaction from Nicola Sturgeon, Scotlands deputy first minister.

She said: This is an unprecedented and extraordinary bid by the Westminster establishment to lay down the law to Scotland, which will backfire spectacularly. But the reality is the Tory chancellor and his Labour and Lib Dem helpers are all over the place, with their briefing fast unravelling.

First, we were told George Osborne was going to rule out a currency union, but now it is being reported that he will outline a Treasury paper with a series of tests and conditions which would be their starting point in negotiations to secure a sterling area.

That is a very long way from what was initially briefed, and simply underlines the fact that the Treasury themselves know whatever the bluff and bluster of Westminster politicians that a shared sterling area is overwhelmingly in the rest of the UKs economic interests following a Yes vote.

The Westminster parties believe that the intervention by Mark Carney, the governor of the Bank of England, last month, makes it plausible for them to rule out a currency union.

During a visit to Edinburgh, Mr Carney highlighted the difficulties of a currency union between the two countries, saying: A durable, successful currency union requires some ceding of national sovereignty.

While Alex Salmond, the SNP leader, welcomed that speech, the Westminster parties believe it has given them enough scope to reject outright his vision of a eurozone-style currency union underpinned by a deficit limit.

Mr Osborne last week gave a flavour of his economic argument to the House of Lords economic affairs committee when he said: Alex Salmonds claims about the currency were pretty effectively demolished by the governor of the Bank of England.

So, Sturgeon knows best eh? You seem to think every word that comes from her or Salmond's lips is gospel.. They've been found out and proved as liars (which you have failed to even acknowledge every time its been brought up..) yet you post here every time they come out with a snippet.. Honestly, they are making themselves look more pathetic with every peice of bitter rhetoric they spew, talking about being bullied when anyone says something they don't want to hear etc.. I honestly think the more they carry on like that the more harm they're going to do their cause.. Chucking your toys out of the pram in a temper ain't exactly the best image to portray..

that copy and paste was from the FT not snp

lets wait and see what osborne says mate, everyone was reporting saying it will be a no, lets see

There is a quote from Sturgeon in it, is there not? ..and you changed it as I was posting, there was two separate quote boxes on your original post.. :yes:

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thought this was a post about fish.........   I'm out..............

But surely scot, real independence if that's what you crave, means independent of everything? They don't want Independence, all they want is more power.

it does bother me,and prob bothers every other person like us in the uk.but im not prepared to give up what he have,on the off chance it "could" be better. my thinking is,it has taking a long long t

Posted Images

going to be a busy day,

Scotland will not be allowed to share the pound with the rest of the UK if it chooses independence, the three main Westminster parties are to warn as pro-unionists turn up the pressure ahead of the September vote.

George Osborne, the chancellor, and Danny Alexander, the Liberal Democrat Treasury chief secretary (according to people close to the governments thinking), and Ed Balls, Labours shadow chancellor (party officials have confirmed), will all deliver separate warnings that Scotland should not expect to form a currency union with the UK in the event of independence. The move takes away one of the central planks of the Scottish National partys policy platform.

he warnings mark an escalation of the unionist rhetoric, with all three big parties at Westminster having thus far said only that it would be very difficult to form a currency union with an independent Scotland rather than ruling it out altogether.

The moves comes as polls show the independence cause gaining ground on the unionist side.

The SNP has made it a crucial part of its vision of independence that Scotland would be able to share the pound, rather than having to join the euro or establish its own currency.

The reports that Westminsters leading parties would join in ruling out independence drew a sharp reaction from Nicola Sturgeon, Scotlands deputy first minister.

She said: This is an unprecedented and extraordinary bid by the Westminster establishment to lay down the law to Scotland, which will backfire spectacularly. But the reality is the Tory chancellor and his Labour and Lib Dem helpers are all over the place, with their briefing fast unravelling.

First, we were told George Osborne was going to rule out a currency union, but now it is being reported that he will outline a Treasury paper with a series of tests and conditions which would be their starting point in negotiations to secure a sterling area.

That is a very long way from what was initially briefed, and simply underlines the fact that the Treasury themselves know whatever the bluff and bluster of Westminster politicians that a shared sterling area is overwhelmingly in the rest of the UKs economic interests following a Yes vote.

The Westminster parties believe that the intervention by Mark Carney, the governor of the Bank of England, last month, makes it plausible for them to rule out a currency union.

During a visit to Edinburgh, Mr Carney highlighted the difficulties of a currency union between the two countries, saying: A durable, successful currency union requires some ceding of national sovereignty.

While Alex Salmond, the SNP leader, welcomed that speech, the Westminster parties believe it has given them enough scope to reject outright his vision of a eurozone-style currency union underpinned by a deficit limit.

Mr Osborne last week gave a flavour of his economic argument to the House of Lords economic affairs committee when he said: Alex Salmonds claims about the currency were pretty effectively demolished by the governor of the Bank of England.

So, Sturgeon knows best eh? You seem to think every word that comes from her or Salmond's lips is gospel.. They've been found out and proved as liars (which you have failed to even acknowledge every time its been brought up..) yet you post here every time they come out with a snippet.. Honestly, they are making themselves look more pathetic with every peice of bitter rhetoric they spew, talking about being bullied when anyone says something they don't want to hear etc.. I honestly think the more they carry on like that the more harm they're going to do their cause.. Chucking your toys out of the pram in a temper ain't exactly the best image to portray..

that copy and paste was from the FT not snp

lets wait and see what osborne says mate, everyone was reporting saying it will be a no, lets see

There is a quote from Sturgeon in it, is there not? ..and you changed it as I was posting, there was two separate quote boxes on your original post.. :yes:

all from the same source, the FT

joe do you ever go to holyrood and watch your hero in action,from the public gallery?

only delivered to there mate

the snp have been pro indy since day one right, so after a few years they got a majority, surly the scottish people knew they would push for independence before they voted?

null_zps38a093f3.jpg

straight forward :laugh: :laugh:

The man's a proven liar.. :yes: He don't even make an attempt to justify his change of heart, he just airbrushes anything he wants forgotten from history.. A bit like his famous Celtic Lion speech that disappeared from all SNP websites when Ireland went tits up..

scot, alot of people kicking up shit up your way at the moment with the risky fracing that uk has been pushing through with deals for councils etc, public are fighting/donating against.. are you a supporter or against?

the scottish people have no intention of breaking the union apart though, were a canny bunch it suited us having them. lets face it he had an overall majority he could have called the referendum anytime he was pushed into it. he thought he could sit there for years threatning this "indy" and basically using it for his own means,with no real passion to actually go through with it. but his bluff was called and now it was panic.

jumping from this country and that country as a comparrison.only thing they all went tits up,and now he was really floundering. so upcame the white "book" at a cost of god knows what, and guess whats all its conjecture is based on the sterling.so now the scots have have the nightmare scenario of losing a currency we all trust and grew up with up.

we look at snp and all we get is "its oor pound tae" in the broadest scots dialect they can muster,like thats going to help us.

lo, f**k sake your desperate man lol i havent heard one person mention fracking up my way.,aye frack away if it helps bring my leccy and gas bills down.in fact do it in my f*****g back garden if i dont have to pay another bill

• Like 3

maybe our areas are different mate, i can see it happening, hope to f**k it does..

all countrys that left uk/brittish empire havnt looked back.. we will hoefully be another, and hopefully not the last

british empire lol you drunk

oh and stop directing to me to westministers f**k ups. i know they are c**ts,and the rest of scotland knows ther c**ts,but we would rather haver those c**ts,than a clueless c**t!

dont drink on skool nights lol :thumbs:

maybe our areas are different mate, i can see it happening, hope to f**k it does..

all countrys that left uk/brittish empire havnt looked back.. we will hoefully be another, and hopefully not the last

There you go again speaking bollocks.. Are you seriously likening Scotland to a country that was conquered and absorbed into the British Empire? :blink: No country has ever left the UK and Scotland is the UK.. In case you have forgotten your history, the Union was created under and first ruled by a Scottish king..