Stockbroker Belt Floods

Least their 4x4 and wellies will be used for what their designed for :whistling:

You bloody beat me to it! Just came back from London and the sheer amount of expensive shiney 4X4's that have never so much as seen a splat of mud..

Mind you, I've seen some of them round here pulling life threatening jerks onto the opposite side of the road just to avoid a tiny crack in the road or half inch puddle. My flipping crapmobile punto has done more off roading.

I for one am disgusted by the way this emergency has been handled! As soon as it starts to effect London ,Berkshire and Oxfordshire it's then a national emergency that requires full army and navy response, but sod the West Country, they can put up with a bit of damp for a couple of months. Just shows just how detached/uninterested politicians are from the common man. That gap between the haves and have nots is getting bigger, and the government and the townies have no idea how the countryside works, and that this is gona hit us all in the pocket, even those on the public sector gravy train! Someone needs to tell them life outside of the city and people not involved in big business matter too. Rant over

• Like 2

I for one am disgusted by the way this emergency has been handled! As soon as it starts to effect London ,Berkshire and Oxfordshire it's then a national emergency that requires full army and navy response, but sod the West Country, they can put up with a bit of damp for a couple of months. Just shows just how detached/uninterested politicians are from the common man. That gap between the haves and have nots is getting bigger, and the government and the townies have no idea how the countryside works, and that this is gona hit us all in the pocket, even those on the public sector gravy train! Someone needs to tell them life outside of the city and people not involved in big business matter too. Rant over

CamMoron is saying' money is no object' and they'll 'do whatever it takes' to help ALL flood-hit areas. Putting aside the fact that he only says this once the wealthier, Tory-voting stockbroker suburbs are affected, maybe we should look a little closer at how money is allocated for spending on flood defences, using the spending criteria dictated to Environment Agency by Central government.............

1 - Every £1 spent must return at least £8 of economic benefit.

2 - The effected population size must be taken into consideration, when spending.

3 - The number of deprived families in a spending area, must also be taken into account.

Is it just me, or are those criteria massively biased in favour of cities (The City in particular), and against rural areas,which have already been left underwater for weeks, with little or no constructive assistance ?

The small town of Moorlands in Somerset had 16 Royal Marines, for one night, helping them to fill sandbags. 40 have been deployed to protect an electrical sub-station near Reading, at a day's notice. To me, this would seem to show that there were contingency plans in place to protect urban areas, but not those who live out on the Levels and beyond !

Next year is election year. How long is your memory.............?

CamMoron is saying' money is no object' and they'll 'do whatever it takes' to help ALL flood-hit areas. Putting aside the fact that he only says this once the wealthier, Tory-voting stockbroker suburbs are affected, maybe we should look a little closer at how money is allocated for spending on flood defences, using the spending criteria dictated to Environment Agency by Central government.............

1 - Every £1 spent must return at least £8 of economic benefit.

2 - The effected population size must be taken into consideration, when spending.

3 - The number of deprived families in a spending area, must also be taken into account.

Is it just me, or are those criteria massively biased in favour of cities (The City in particular), and against rural areas,which have already been left underwater for weeks, with little or no constructive assistance ?

The small town of Moorlands in Somerset had 16 Royal Marines, for one night, helping them to fill sandbags. 40 have been deployed to protect an electrical sub-station near Reading, at a day's notice. To me, this would seem to show that there were contingency plans in place to protect urban areas, but not those who live out on the Levels and beyond !

Next year is election year. How long is your memory.............?

My memory is long enough to remember what Labour did to this country.

I will probably vote UKIP.

you know most of the news has been dedicated to the horrendous floods in devon. harrowing watching what these peoples are having to go through.

well tonight all of the news was about the thames valley.5min if that about devon. its shocking how they are so blatant, is it just that we have really dumb politicians,or are they just so concieted and arrogant they dont actually care how it looks to the rest of the country.