Who's Breeding This Spring/summer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might breed from these two, dog is 4 year old, bitch is just over 2 ((( it would be the first litter of pups that I have bred since early 70s, both dogs can do there job,  

On reflection you may be right , I apologise for the frivolous nature of my post , and hope it can be ignored and not detract from the discussion ,

i wouldnt agree with not wanting to improve your stock, no dog/pigeon/horse or other athletic animal is perfect in every aspect of its confirmation and performance. if your happy with a bitch then sou

Posted Images

come on lads put your names down! bitch a total slut, sire game as you like as you can see from the photo, dam 25 ths sire 8 ths from top working lines sire is a 6 out of 6 day time dog ! dam 100 rabbits every night off the lamp £750 each wont go lower than a fiver :hmm: lol sorry had too :victory:

post-49903-0-93197700-1392065886.jpg

why would I do that????? IF I BREED!!!!! and the bitch has pups, THE dog would be 5 any thing can happen to a 5 year old dog, (((( thats IF I BREED, and I keep a pup, a year on, ((((( I am better to breed from the dogs I own, and run,

I know what I am looking for,,, this shite about waiting for another two years or so, I might not be on this land, have you any guarntees that your going to be here or any one else, the answer is NO THE TOPIC IS WHO IS BREEDING, I MIGHT CONSIDER TO DO THAT all depends on the arising circumstances,,,(((( I know what my dogs have and what they dont have,

good luck border lad if you decide to do it both nice animals atb

If you need to better what you have then don,t breed,source from better stock,fact,if you ever need to breed something better than what you have,from your stock,then source elsewhere,factuality.

i wouldnt agree with not wanting to improve your stock, no dog/pigeon/horse or other athletic animal is perfect in every aspect of its confirmation and performance. if your happy with a bitch then sourcing the right dog that will compliment that given bitch and hopefully add the good characteristics from both parents and the end result theoretically being as good as the parents but maybe have slightly better qualities and as a whole be slightly better in there given field.

im breeding as soon as the chosen bitch breaks down, 10 year old 3/4 hound 1/4 bull. she is going across the pond to a top coursing dog that will compliment her wind, feet and running ability. he is 7. frequently doing big numbers on fens and small land and proven producer. (several topics and pics on here about him and his pups)

the bitch has sufficient wind but not a long distance runner, decent feet but could be better if a lad was picky, also she can run but turns could be improved on as she is slightly top heavy. if she only produced the same as herself then that pup would be here till its 10+ aswell as it would do me the finest, (but could be better)

As ive said she is 10 and done a serious amount of graft through the years and is excellent at what she does, (teeth) do i think there is better out there....... yes, thats why ive chosen to bring her to a dog that is also perfectly capable of taking teeth aswell but runs better, and slightly better confirmation. he wouldnt be as robust or as hardy, hasnt been tested as much as the bitch to take stick either but thats not his no.1 job. I think he will add more than he will subtract.

end result fingers crossed will be pacey dogs well able for a long run, loads of determination and able to handle a bit of stick....

if i wanted to buy what im looking for i wouldnt be able, firstly because pups from dogs of this standard are very rarely advertised as the breeders friends/mates know the capabilitys and will take surplus pups or they in turn will know people who would want one. secondly i would not buy a pup from parents i know nothing about only what im being told by the seller of the given pups!!

• Like 4

why would I do that????? IF I BREED!!!!! and the bitch has pups, THE dog would be 5 any thing can happen to a 5 year old dog, (((( thats IF I BREED, and I keep a pup, a year on, ((((( I am better to breed from the dogs I own, and run,

I know what I am looking for,,, this shite about waiting for another two years or so, I might not be on this land, have you any guarntees that your going to be here or any one else, the answer is NO THE TOPIC IS WHO IS BREEDING, I MIGHT CONSIDER TO DO THAT all depends on the arising circumstances,,,(((( I know what my dogs have and what they dont have,

you have a point there border lad , one can wait and the inevitable happens. happened to me , it aint allways for the best buying in fact.atb bunnys

Crack on bl, but personally I would be reticent about a breeding off a two year old bitch ,

Loads of graft eh?

Border Lads dogs get loads of graft. im sure he knows the back breeding of his Bitch and even being of a young age what's she's capable of.

and as he says this will be his first litter since the early 70s,

Edited by Country Joe
  • Like 1

Personally speaking id never breed from a mutt that I thought I could improve on,that to me would say the dogs not worth breeding from,id source a pup from better dogs and save the uncertainty of breeding another that needed improving.Ive a bitch here that does all I require from a mutt,I set my sights and ambition low now.The only outcross that would interest me would have to have Border,Deerhound and Grey in the mix,the chances of finding anything suitable are slimmer than Twiggy when she was 12,thus the bitch may never get covered,the omega situation,thus a pup of the requisite breeding and ability may be a better option,if one becomes available?,anyone know of a litter who,s parentage will stand the rigours of a testing trial.

we live in britain ffs, even in pre ban days there were dogs out there doing jobs on almost every species we cared to hunt, with maybe odd exception of daytime red deer lol, even then its been done... so why the need to improve? why not just do homework and get a pup off mutts better than your own??? after all there are still lurchers out there doing 99.9% of jobs, instead of breeding to improve inferior stock,,why not get bettet and breed to maintain it? ill tell you why.... sentimentality...

• Like 1

Decent mutts with working history in their pedigree are dogs that id breed from young,if the occasion manifested itself,which it rarely does.Anything honest and worthwhile breeding from would be better left until the litter as proved itself over a few honest seasons,then the best from the litter bred from to carry the lineage.Hindsight is a wonderful thing,alas many jukels left to better prove their breeding potential never reach the age to do so.

I think the point is if your bitch is "just ok" then don't breed.

If she has done everything you'd want to a good standard then why not.

That's not to say her off spring can't be better or else we'd never have got past 1/2 crosses

In my case I feel using a coursing bred stud over my bull cross will improve what she has to offer

I dare say there is pups about that I may be able to buy, but I don't know of any of any quality that I know both parents to ,so have chosen to breed my own.My bitch has served me well for her 8 years if I can improve on that I'll be chuffed ATB Roy

• Like 1

I bread from my bitch at the age of 4 I didn't keep a pup but I gave 70 percent of them away to good lads and the others I sold just to cover cost the main reson I bread out of my bitch was to see what the pups turned out like I keep in contact with all the lads who got a pup and they let me know how they are getting on most of the pups are showing a lot potenshal so when i need a pup hopefully I can do a repate mating and keep a pup back .