Boilie Making

Same as above, I make up a fishmeal/milk protein mix with some liver powder and GLM. I add a bit of salmon oil - which helps it roll too. No flavour though, but that's your choice. If you add a flavour don't use any more than 3ml per 6 egg mix. If eels are a problem use a birdfood/milk protein bait. Don't wait till it warms up, the winter's the best time of year in many ways.

• 2 weeks later...

Same as above, I make up a fishmeal/milk protein mix with some liver powder and GLM. I add a bit of salmon oil - which helps it roll too. No flavour though, but that's your choice. If you add a flavour don't use any more than 3ml per 6 egg mix. If eels are a problem use a birdfood/milk protein bait. Don't wait till it warms up, the winter's the best time of year in many ways.

In what way is the winter the best time of year for high oil content bait?

You can add an emulsifier.. Ive had some shit hot results through winter on homemades. My mix was pretty similar to yours EK, with the liver powder and GLM powder. I used to go down to the lake just to smash holes in the ice just so I could keep my bait going in. As soon as it was nothing more than cat ice, I`d be fishing over it, catching every session. Winter is a great time on the lakes - you dont get half the tit heads and fair weather fisherman...

• Like 3

Used to make all my own bait in the 80's cant be arsed now, loads a good baits out there at sensible prices. currently on HBS Red Indians

lol Bob, end of September it gets serious, as the lakes empty of idiots :):D

Edited by Flipper_Al

It's great when the weather keeps most people off the banks, just as the big girl's are getting their heads down on some serious grubbing about, i still put a few mixes together but don't use any flavours, i let the oils and csl attract them to the bait but like flipper said you can get some great baits rolled for you now at a good price.

• Like 1

I agree with flipper al. I've looked into myself a few times , ten years ago and more it would have been a money saver. But these days Everyman and his dog owns a bait company that can do you a £6 a kilo deal with fairly good quality ingredients,

I think the only time it would be worth making your own these days is if your fishing a rock hard water and needed something special to get an edge. But then I think you really need to know baits before you do that and it wouldn't be cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

People read too many mags. If you use a fish oil in your bait, you can't use much more than 3%. Think about it.

You can't use a completely fishmeal base mix, fishmeal content will be up to 50%, mostly less in a good recipe using a good birdfood/clo and milk proteins.

Look at the oil content of the fishmeal, say it's 30%, that would equate to up to 15% in the finished bait.

So you're looking at a figure of probably 18% oil in a 'summer' bait. I don't think that's too unreasonable for use during the winter - in fact I know it's not, because it works and has done since the 80's. All the dick head wannabes in the magazines will tell you otherwise to sell products and get their name out there. Bait companies will tell you the same to keep their sales going during the winter - making people believe they've got to have something different. Paranoia is easy to inflict on carp anglers.

Fish use oil from their diet, it's good to have some in your bait. Doesn't matter whether it's summer or winter - I get your point though, too much is a bad thing, but unless you're glugging your baits in oil you're unlikely to have that much in your bait anyway.

Don't read the angling comics, they're full of shit. Yes we all catch on pink pop ups and pellets etc. but 'over time there's no substitute for a good quality bait, and there's no reason to change during the winter.

Edited by ekpestcontrol

I HAVE MADE ME OWN BOILIEE many times though not for years now i used mine for barbel,carp and cats though i rarely use them for carp or cats these days prefering floating and live and dead baits for the latter,i used to use nash,then switched to john baker baits as i seen them once at the NEC at Birmingham,what i found was esp with boris (barbel) that the sweet baits didnt work one bit for me on the rivers i was fishing ie the river Wear at Durham probly the furthest northern barbel in the uk i dont any further north than that,none i know of in the Tyne and beyond also i fishe the River Tees,nest river south of the Wear,my experiences of sweet baits werent good with savoury working a treat! we also made dumbell boilles " dumb bell shape" and boillees that were half moon shaped,square ones in fact a whole range of different shapes and sizes,

we also made them with different constincies never quite rock hard sometimes so soft they were almost a paste,we found that the flavours released better this way and the barbel we were targeting prefered this type of consitancy,we were after all fishing for barbel in extreme circumstances and conditions,also the barbel either had been hammered and knew the score or probly never seen a boillee [BANNED TEXT] like barbel in prime sea trout and salmon fishing beats on the river wear,we actually got permision from bishop aukland angling club to fish for barbel on their stretch in bishop aukland,but they were small fish so we never bothered for a second season plus the unecucated game anglers were killing them first chance the got cos they were in the way!

we did though manage to make a syndacte lower down on the wear a mile or so below kepier estates at durham we paid a grand for a 200 or so yrd stretch which held some clonkers a pool know as ban the bomb cos in the 60 s some hippy climbed the rock face painted a CND peace symbol up there whilst off his head samee feller went to london to work in the early 70s walked into a gay bar they was none in durham seen jason king and he tried chatting him jason pagered him anyway we introduced boilees periodicly to certain swims in certain hard to cast areas that we made specifcly and never actually used for a season oer two tipping a couple of kilos in a ttime so the fish would get used to it and associate the bait with safety always measureing each ingriedient to the . of a gram useing them little black weighing scales that jewlers and drug dealers use and always sticking to the same recippeee when we finaly used the said baits me had the river wear record for barbel check barbelfishingworld.com we were that secret about it even between friends we would tell each other wahat or recipees were,when we did use the said boillees we hammered barbel in places where we thought barbel werent our wear barbel were nearly impossable to catch in the winter as they used to move around april may time when the migratory salmonoids start running then caome back sometime in the winter again ----food for thought