How Important Are Kc Papers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Papers good for wrapping chips in bud, physical soundness ,good temperament, working ability is what counts imo.

More fool you for thinking those papers mean your not buying shite, they paper work is no guarantee that the dog you buy is what the paperwork says it is

Papers mean shit   Best spaniel I have ever owned cost £145 from a farm and the only paper he came with was the daily record he`d been pissing on in his box

Interesting thread. I think it's somewhat worrying that people have started faking KC papers. Surely you'd be able to get Trading Standards involved if you'd bought a pup, or bred from a dog with fake papers though?

It's not so much that the paper work is forged as what's on the genuine paper work that's just bullshite without DNA you will never know for fact what you've bought :thumbs:

I know for a man who used to breed border terriers when they really started to get popular he would buy whole litters of unregistered pups then sell them on with paper work that he had registered from bitches that hadn't even whelped I asked him once if anyone actually spotted the bitch hadn't had pups and his response was he could show most customers a f*****g cat most wouldn't know the difference :icon_eek:

Interesting thread. I think it's somewhat worrying that people have started faking KC papers. Surely you'd be able to get Trading Standards involved if you'd bought a pup, or bred from a dog with fake papers though?

It's not so much that the paper work is forged as what's on the genuine paper work that's just bullshite without DNA you will never know for fact what you've bought :thumbs:

I know for a man who used to breed border terriers when they really started to get popular he would buy whole litters of unregistered pups then sell them on with paper work that he had registered from bitches that hadn't even whelped I asked him once if anyone actually spotted the bitch hadn't had pups and his response was he could show most customers a f*****g cat most wouldn't know the difference :icon_eek:

should have added that some of his bitches only ever existed on paper as well :icon_eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I have cocker who is well bred but has no papers, it does amaze me that some people think just because they buy a pup with papers bred from the best dogs around that they'll end up with a world beater. Trust me you can have all the breeding you want but if you don't put the effort into the training you'll be very disappointed and out of pocket!!

• Like 1

Not important to lads who havn't got them for the dogs they have.Not important if the dog you have is a good un. :victory: To me when after a pup its important for me to find out what it's potential could be because not everyone has the luck to know some one who has a litter to such and such's bitch and the dog's owner is on's best pal :whistling: .So checking papers can help. :hmm:

I got a 10 month old working cocker and if she proves herself in the field will be thinking of breeding her and keeping a pup in a few years time but she hasn't got any k.c papers but if she's a good worker would you still bred or would you buy one with papers? Just a question for the future really. atb Jamie

That would depend if you will just be wanting a replacement pup or your intention is to make money from them....
  • Like 1

I got a 10 month old working cocker and if she proves herself in the field will be thinking of breeding her and keeping a pup in a few years time but she hasn't got any k.c papers but if she's a good worker would you still bred or would you buy one with papers? Just a question for the future really. atb Jamie

That would depend if you will just be wanting a replacement pup or your intention is to make money from them....

Yep...I waited for 5 seasons to ensure 100% my dog had proved himself, found homes for pups before they were even born, took a pup myself as did the owner of the dam. Pups were sold on cost price :victory:

• Like 1

What about hip scores ? Elbow scores ? PRA and CNM ? If people don't bother registering them they have no chance if getting these tests done so the people that are breeding without all these are doing the Labrador as a breed NO favours at all , I have my labs for trailing and if they turn out any good then breed them which there is not many that pass all the health tests and also turn out to be good enough for trailing

I've been on the look out for a pup for a while now, and been doing all the homework you'd say, reading up about this and that, and I'd came to the conclusion, that to someone like me, a regular Joe Bloggs, I didn't feel the papers were of any great benefit.

We duly set out to find a pup, and went to see some that had no papers. The guy selling them didn't fill me with much confidence, and he was a bit pricey for your run of the mill 'dog'.

By sheer chance, we discovered an All Singing, All Dancing Pedigree pup relatively local, and set out to see it.

It came from a Field Trials trainer, and the whole set up was so much more professional, all the papers, couldn't do enough to advise us on what to do etc etc.

I've since became a little 'obsessed' with the pedigree, and been looking into it, and reading up on all the pups ancestors.

Will the papers make any difference to the dog...? NOT A JOT!

Am I happy having the papers..? Well, now I actually do have them, yes I am.

Will my dog go on to be a FTC..? I would VERY MUCH doubt it!

Will it do what I want it to do..? I hope so....but that'll be down to me.......not a piece of paper.

Would I make ££ off her pups in the future..? I wouldn't want to! I'd sell them yes, make ££ Naaa!

I think for a working dog papers don't matter one bit.

I suppose if kennel club trailing is your kennel game

I suppose you need them.

A healthy proven working after 5 or 6 seasons of hard graft will let you know if the have bad hips etc but you don't need kc registration to test for it .I personally would rather choose an unregistered dog

As I don't want to perpetuate the bad practices by some kc breeders

Or fund them in anyway

• Like 2

I suppose that I you have genuine, truthful papers you can go back in the dogs line when you want to breed and you also may have a better idea of the working capabilities of past gens.

Obviously you could know all of that without papers if you know well the line the dog comes from.

I don't see the harm in papers, but they won't make a poor dog any better, that's for sure, and just because it's great grandma was a ftch doesn't mean it's worth breeding off.......

But some folk seem anti papers almost as if they just want to prove how 'real' they are,