Bedlington Whippets?

I have a 3/4 whippet 1/4 bedlington and before he got to old to work he was a brilliant catch dog but has some faults as well. he would hunt up if he missed his rabbit and could be very head strong. Sometimes the dog wud make me look great and other times a c**t. I don't think you can beat the collie crosses for taking a variety of quarry and being good little pot fillers. Some people will disagree but it's each to their own. The oly way u will find out is too try one for yourself training it to do what u want it too. Good luck with things.

• Like 2

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My lot of half x beddlington whippets, alot of people under estimate these little dogs and can have quite a shock when they see them out doing there job, i cant speak for every one and all dogs are di

I think the main reason some people dont like beddy whips especially first xs is because of useless show beddys and useless show whippets are being bred into the working stock and because people just

My 3/4 whippet 1/4 Beddy, still got a good coat and excellent feet even though only a 1/4 Beddy.

Posted Images

I have a 3/4 whippet 1/4 bedlington and before he got to old to work he was a brilliant catch dog but has some faults as well. he would hunt up if he missed his rabbit and could be very head strong. Sometimes the dog wud make me look great and other times a c**t. I don't think you can beat the collie crosses for taking a variety of quarry and being good little pot fillers. Some people will disagree but it's each to their own. The oly way u will find out is too try one for yourself training it to do what u want it too. Good luck with things.

i have seen 2 collie Xs work in my life and both have been bad examples of this cross, i have read Brian Plummers books and he claims it's the best cross out there, it may be down to non working collies in the blood as i know 1 out of the 2 came from someones pet collie

i have seen 2 collie Xs work in my life and both have been bad examples of this cross, i have read Brian Plummers books and he claims it's the best cross out there, it may be down to non working collies in the blood as i know 1 out of the 2 came from someones pet collie

If you get out with the right people who know what they are doing when it come's to training dog's your eye's may well be opened with collie X's .. ;)

Lil4bunnies005_zps61b843b9.jpg

• Like 6

If you get out with the right people who know what they are doing when it come's to training dog's your eye's may well be opened with collie X's .. ;)

Lil4bunnies005_zps61b843b9.jpg

i totally agree there mate, i wouldn't mind a bearded collie X in the future, i love rough coats

• Like 1

I had a George Kelly bred bed/whip cross greyhound , I had a brilliant 10 seasons with her and to be honest took her for granted, been out with and had lots of crosses but the effort ability and instinct beat all of them by a long shot, seen better on fox , deer hare etc but she found cought and killed , more than one string to her bow

• Like 1

I hope so, I've just put a deposit down a 1st gen Whippet X Beddy. It's coming from good working stock and has been bred for the owner to have a pup. I'll post some updates in the coming months.

hardest thing these days is to find a proper working Bedlington, most are show bred and don't have the working qualities anymore, if my Bitch wasn't in whelp i would be looking to buy a bedlington greyhound i have always wanted one

even someone well known that breeds beddy/whip/grey breeds from yappers and young un tested dogs so cant be trusted,as far as i can see,money thats all it is with some folk,not good

Edited by hunter1372
  • 2 weeks later...

i am laughing my tits off at this thred ive just bred a litter of beddy whippet greyhounds im keeping a bitch pup back i own the mother beddy greyhound and can identifi with alot of what has been said good and not so good ill not say bad but they are worth every minute they are great allrounders

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

I have a 1x brilliant little allrounder. Bushes and marks 100% in the day. Then a top dog on the lamp, as mute as any dog can come. But is head strong in when it comes to retreving i will say that. All dogs have their faults its just nowing and excepting them. Id tale this cross over anything with a touch of bull in it errr. Dhxghxcolliexgh is my fav cross tho

• Like 2

My two pence , my current dogs a collie x grey x whippet .

The dam was a 1st x collie grey damn good kampong and ferreting nitch in her day , she was lined by a supposedly Laguna whippet .

In my opinion the whippet added much needed speed and turn of pace and hthat sharpness to make quick snap pickups . I highly rate the cross as the collie added a nice coat and good feet , dunno about brains really I just need a general mooching companion and dog to run off the slip somaybe the collie influence is wasted on me .

My digs very much the try or die type .