For anyone starting on a program i would take some advice i was given years ago and use a totally unrelated dog at some time early on to cover a bitch then start another line running alongside the first .It certainly stopped me from losing it altogether with this eye thing .Hope this is clear as reading it back it sounds complicated .

• Like 6

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how i look at it, if we are lucky enough to get our hands on some good blood , its our duty not to f**k it up and thats the working side, i've had the same family of dogs since the early 80's i've lin

Good post mate .Not to undo it in any way but starting with the right stock is everything .You cannot put in what is not there in the first place .Ive no doubt some lads have turned round mediocre dog

Right this is my fathers method he had a lot of success for many many years with gamefowl and dogs .This mightn't be to everybody's to everybody's style so don't crucify me if you think its wrong ! He

can mother son be used instead of father daughter to get a base? would it matter?

At the risk of getting a pasting from froggy whatsit ,the dogs linage is everything ,A bitch becomes one of your broods providing she is tested and of sound temperament.A dog that consistently throws workers is the foundation to all good lines .Starting out ,the advice of the breeder should be followed to the letter but as you move on,youll get to know what works over what .STARTING FROM SCRATCH WITH AN UNKNOWN IS POT LUCK AND IMO A WASTE OF RESOURCE AND TIME[YEARS ]

Im not arguing im discussing this with before you jump too it, It does not matter which way round you do it as both parents pass on the equal amount of genes to the pups. But if you are talking down the line when the dog is already inbred then yes because an inbred specimen has purer genes so therefore will throw his stamp on a litter.

can mother son be used instead of father daughter to get a base? would it matter?

At the risk of getting a pasting from froggy whatsit ,the dogs linage is everything ,A bitch becomes one of your broods providing she is tested and of sound temperament.A dog that consistently throws workers is the foundation to all good lines .Starting out ,the advice of the breeder should be followed to the letter but as you move on,youll get to know what works over what .STARTING FROM SCRATCH WITH AN UNKNOWN IS POT LUCK AND IMO A WASTE OF RESOURCE AND TIME[YEARS ]

Im not arguing im discussing this with before you jump too it, It does not matter which way round you do it as both parents pass on the equal amount of genes to the pups. But if you are talking down the line when the dog is already inbred then yes because an inbred specimen has purer genes so therefore will throw his stamp on a litter.

no they dont,bitch passes on a lot more..

• Like 3

That also highlights the importance of knowing the background of your base stock regardless of ability, we had a bitch several years ago, that work wise was the full package, nose, gameness etc, historically we knew nothing much about her breeding.........regardless of what stud we used with her, she never produced anything of note

• Like 1

its not round we go again tho is it ther valid points,,been a good thread this ive picked a few things up from it ive struggled to pick up the line breeding inbreeding thing in the past when other lads have explained it due to no practical experiance but foxdropper explained it nice

• Like 1

i was under impression the dam gives more is an old wives tale, and its a 50/50 split, the pups could pick up some of her behaviour tho as its her that raises them?? dont mind in slightest being corrected tho lol

we always hear of dogs being producers, and obviously a dog can produce more pups than a bitch in a life time, but are producing bitches as common, as dogs which produce decent pups??

Lol and round we go again .

i gave up years ago --i spent an hour writing up a post about lines,strains,genetics recessive genes and type further down the thread someone came on giving it bollox and the thread got pulled the same person had been on 6 months earlier asking our to enter there russellxpat then suddenly knew it all ..... ;)

• Like 3

it is 50/50 but it can be pot luck which genes come from which parent, so it is important to make sure both work as good. its alright having a good stud, but you aren't guaranteed to have his desired genes in all his pups.