.17Hmr Ammo For Fox

Hi all, until I have gained experiance witg rimfire rifles I can't get a Centre fire. I have a .22lr and I'm about to get a HMR the .17 is on my cert for fox and vermin control. Now I know a HMR isn't the ideal fox calibre but at the moment I have no alternative. I'm looking at hornady v-max 17g but for fox have read a few posts that say CCI gameshok 20g are better for charlie. Can anyone with experiance of foxing with a hmr advise please

Thanks in advance

Atb

Dan

I've lost count of how many fox I've had with my hmr mate. Only ever fed it the 17g v-max an always dropped them on the spot at good ranges. Not a dedicated fox calibre but more than capable. If your thinkin 20g wht not try the hornady xtp instead if the cci?

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys. Alec69 my local rfd only sells cci gameshok 20g and hornady v-max 17g. What would be my range limit for head shots and also would a heart/lung shot be out of the question?

Thanks again

Atb

Dan

if your zeroed at 100yrds the hmr is more than capable for head or engine room. I tend not to shoot Charlie over this range and prefer to squeek it up a little closer but I no of deadly shots beyond that range with no problem.

Thanks a lot guys. Alec69 my local rfd only sells cci gameshok 20g and hornady v-max 17g. What would be my range limit for head shots and also would a heart/lung shot be out of the question?

Thanks again

Atb

Dan

if your just getting the hmr .17 get used to the gun first …..dont even be thinking of 100yd head shots until your fully confident in your rifle ……only takes the fox to move at the last second before you pull the trigger ….and you end up sending an injured fox away suffering with a head wound……smashed muzzle or broken jaw ………….and don't think it won't happen because it will ……….good luck with the .17

• Like 2

Cheers delswal. I have had my .22lr a few months now and have the habit of ensuring I can confidently hit 50p consistently before shooting at any live animal even when ratting I insist on giving the animal the most humane dispatch. When I got the .22lr I ran 250 rounds through it on targets to get the feel for the rifle/scope setup.

Thanks again

Atb

Dan

thats that sorted then deker ;)

i can read as much as i like on the net but until i get the info from lads that have tried and tested the methods i cant get a clear understanding.

The proof is in the pudding, what rifle are you using?

im looking at the cz455 laminate thumbhole or a silhouette 16inch ;)

Atb

Dan

thats that sorted then deker ;)

i can read as much as i like on the net but until i get the info from lads that have tried and tested the methods i cant get a clear understanding.

The proof is in the pudding, what rifle are you using?

im looking at the cz455 laminate thumbhole or a silhouette 16inch ;)

Atb

Dan

Mine is a 452 Silhouette, the site had been well surveyed and researched, the foxes baited and timed, all shot on a School sports field from a prone position off a bipod using a NS200. The HMR was the tool of choice for the job and worked.

Final visit removed the last of 8 foxes in total from the site, very early start for this one and caught him on his way home, stuck around a while and the opportunity to remove a few more pests from site developed, all HMR V-Max, eventually went home about 09.00!

post-10759-0-72431600-1391638996_thumb.jpg

That was a good site, everything went like clockwork, they don't always work out quite so easy!

• Like 1