How Many Dogs Do You Need?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dan,you dont seem to grasp the essence of coursing,the kill is the end result,we look upon this result as a bonus,the most important and enjoyable piece of the hunt is or should be fair play to the qu

I would av slipped the lot fook it :laugh:

Ireland? Lol

thats argentina i believe,the bloke puts up a lot of videos on FB,i cringe when theres 5 dogs all flying about.they dont seem to see the course as us ''civilised'' hunters on these 2 great islands do,,lol..

That's disgusting.....fare enought when they were flushing rabbits with wat looked like terreirs and a hound as there was only 1 running dog (the brindle) so the quarry has a chance but at 1 point there wax what looked like 7 running dogs on a hare........like shooting fish in a barrle

thats argentina i believe,the bloke puts up a lot of videos on FB,i cringe when theres 5 dogs all flying about.they dont seem to see the course as us ''civilised'' hunters on these 2 great islands do,,lol..

Fcuking latinos...no sense of fair play at all. Look what they've done to 'the beautiful game' with all their play acting and rolling about. :rtfm:

Killing is part of what we do but not the objective, not for me at least. Seeing your dog well matched and putting in a great run and catching is satisfaction, but missing a few makes it much sweeter. It shouldn't be that easy.

Slipping eight dogs, some when the chase is well on, is no test for a dog and as good as no escape for the quarry. Useless Argie bastads!!

I'm tellin you this thread gets better and better. No wonder why yall cant hunt over there anymore. Too busy talkin bout how its sport and all that bullshit. Maybe if ya would have just stood up for yourselves and said, "Hey we like to kill shit. f**k off!". Then maybe you wouldn't be where your at today.

• Like 3

I'm tellin you this thread gets better and better. No wonder why yall cant hunt over there anymore. Too busy talkin bout how its sport and all that bullshit. Maybe if ya would have just stood up for yourselves and said, "Hey we like to kill shit. f**k off!". Then maybe you wouldn't be where your at today.

I for one don't 'like to kill shit'. I do it as quickly and efficiently as possible and without compunction as it's part and parcel of the sport I love, but it's not the reason I run dogs...it's not to satisfy some blood lust. If killing was the main objective, there are easier, cheaper, and less frustrating ways to do it than using dogs.

I think that when we talk about sport it's because there is a 'competetive' element to running dogs against quarry which has some chance of escape. Your dog needs to run well to succeed, and that's where both the competition and satisfaction of 'winning' come in. Like I said it shouldn't be this easy or you may as well go shoot fish in a barrel.

• Like 1

Dan,you dont seem to grasp the essence of coursing,the kill is the end result,we look upon this result as a bonus,the most important and enjoyable piece of the hunt is or should be fair play to the quarry and the chase which takes place, because of such fair play to the animal being chased.Hence there is more importance and focus on the approach/fair law and subsequent course/pursuit of said quarry than the actual capture and killing of the animal itself.Of course if the animal is looked upon as a massive pest,then it is the capture and annihilation of the animal which is foremost on the hunters mind,be it with dog or gun,or any other method available to the hunter...................,lol.you americans had the advantage of having the wild west on your doorstep and a different view point has developed,such as the carrying of hand guns and ''shit'' being an everyday common occurrence,and the liberty to be able to stand up and shout ''WE LIKE TO KILL SHIT'',without too much hullabaloo about it,im writing this with tongue in cheek but i hope you get what I mean,keep up the good work on the coyotes and wolves,i look forward to your next post on such matters.

the argies on that clip seem to feel the hunt is only a good one with the demise of the quarry also,which is a million miles from the way its looked upon from this part of the world.

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 4

Dan,you dont seem to grasp the essence of coursing,the kill is the end result,we look upon this result as a bonus,the most important and enjoyable piece of the hunt is or should be fair play to the quarry and the chase which takes place, because of such fair play to the animal being chased.Hence there is more importance and focus on the approach/fair law and subsequent course/pursuit of said quarry than the actual capture and killing of the animal itself.Of course if the animal is looked upon as a massive pest,then it is the capture and annihilation of the animal which is foremost on the hunters mind,be it with dog or gun,or any other method available to the hunter...................,lol.you americans had the advantage of having the wild west on your doorstep and a different view point has developed,such as the carrying of hand guns and ''shit'' being an everyday common occurrence,and the liberty to be able to stand up and shout ''WE LIKE TO KILL SHIT'',without too much hullabaloo about it,im writing this with tongue in cheek but i hope you get what I mean,keep up the good work on the coyotes and wolves,i look forward to your next post on such matters.

the argies on that clip seem to feel the hunt is only a good one with the demise of the quarry also,which is a million miles from the way its looked upon from this part of the world.

Very true but the kill is what gives it the thrill!!! The chase is only going to end one of two ways escape or death simple as that and yes you are right the chase is a buzz but the kill is not just a byproduct, it's the required result! I personally don't like seeing loads of dogs on because the result is never as clean as it should be imo :thumbs:

Very true but the kill is what gives it the thrill!!! The chase is only going to end one of two ways escape or death simple as that and yes you are right the chase is a buzz but the kill is not just a byproduct, it's the required result! I personally don't like seeing loads of dogs on because the result is never as clean as it should be imo :thumbs:

For me the catch is the thrill, rather than the kill. I know I’m probably splitting hairs, because once caught the kill is a fait accompli, but the point I’m making is that hunting is about much, much more than satisfying a need for ‘killing shit’.

Before this post this thread had over 1400 views, not all by people sympathetic to hunting I’ll bet, and I think that "Hey we like to kill shit. f**k off!" message doesn’t represent or serve the majority of people on here (it is however how I feel sometimes, even if I wouldn’t necessarily choose to use those words), and only provides ammunition to those who would ban every form of hunting and fishing.

Anyway, this thread is about using too many dogs. These guys slipping dog after dog on a hare can only end one way, and proves little really of the dog or owner’s skill or capability. Whether it’s ‘sporting fair play’ (and that’ll mean different things to different people) or not, weighing the odds so heavily in the dog’s favour would be frowned upon by most this side of the pond. Thankfully this is a world away from what most of us know. There has to be a ‘sporting’ element to it otherwise it’d just be ‘killing’ and not ‘hunting’.

• Like 3