Pups First One

Pups first dig. His always been keen dog, searching the bushes checking earths etc. around a month ago we found a fox to ground with him. Went in had a little bark but nothing consistent, and came out after about 10mins. A surprise to us as we thought he was going to hit the ground running. So we entered a more experienced dog. A few weeks went by still getting him out checking earths, with a another dog double checking.

Anyway this time we took him out on his own as the others needed resting up.

Wasn't till mid day, just letting him run off the lead he goes down a bank and enters an earth. From the top of the bank we hear a few bays. I run down to the bottom where there is normally a small stream but with all the rain is more like a river. There was two eyes, looked in one and it was flooded but the other was okay. I thought he won't be long, had a locate but couldn't get nothing steady. So I sat further up the bank.a few minutes goes by a fox bolts out the earth runs about 20 yards along the river and strangely slips into another earth. Jack comes out but for some reason isn't interested in the other earth and goes back to the first one. Has another search around, but finds nothing.

Goes back to the other earth, and this time after searching finds his opponent, and starts baying away. Now this is not like before. Jack is staying and his bay is very consistent. Get a stead locate of 1.4m. Takes me a good hour before breaking through. Jack right up with his quarry giving everything his got. He is now removed and fox is dispatched.

Well done to jack! Very pleased with him. I know he still has a long way to go but hope he continues. It was a big lesson to me. To see a dog come on, and to never write a dog off to fast. As I am young in my hunting career. And so is jack 10 months now.

post-38877-0-37497700-1391469570.jpg

post-38877-0-49881800-1391470225.jpg

• Like 9

Pup done good but now its up to you to hold him back as 10 months is a bit on the young side,give him 1 more handy dig in a couple of weeks then leave him until next season then he will be a good age,very easy to spoil a young terrier.

• Like 8