You Tube Clip On Gate Netting

Hairydog

By looking at that video and comparing it to Glens video, wouldn't he been best setting the net one bar lower to extend the kill in the net and place the net the opposite side if the hares coming from the direction he says. Or have i got it wrong?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeh watch glens vid,,,he made it years ago,,,a few enterprising chaps put it in DVD ,,,,if you ask around on here someone will have it,,,, he also shows you how to knit them,,

A dog used for gate netting has about as much relevence to a long netting dog as a spaniel has to coursing hares. They are totally different dogs. A gate netting dog is expected to go into a field lif

Rew I don't think it was glen longnetting,,, I think he filmed it,,, or at least it may have been a friend of glen that owned the dog,,, and let glen use it,,,, as I'm sure I was told he didn't own a dog at the time,,,something like that

Not that it matters,, it's a great film,,, with good info,,, and a great bit on nittining the nets

Rew I don't think it was glen longnetting,,, I think he filmed it,,, or at least it may have been a friend of glen that owned the dog,,, and let glen use it,,,, as I'm sure I was told he didn't own a dog at the time,,,something like that

Not that it matters,, it's a great film,,, with good info,,, and a great bit on nittining the nets

ANNNNDDDD! it makes you wonder when all these folk (martin king in peg to peg springs to mind) and long netters on here say that a long netters dog is a load of balls utter myth and ledged.....well that dog on the dvd wasn't a figment of imagination by any standards....it looked a very very handy dog

• Like 1

It was a handy dog,,, I haven't read that book,,, although it have read a few pages years ago befor it was printed in martins house.... So can't comment on what was written.

I'm assuming he says long netter dogs are a thing of legend....?

What I will say regarding longnetting dogs ,,,,is I think it depended on the size of the net being dropped ,,,, if your dropping a 50 yarder in front of a handy stretch of hedge or In front of a warren,,,,then sending a dog out whilst sitting at the end of the net might be possible.....

However if you have dropped two or three,, big long hundred yarders,,, then there's no way a dog can go and quarter all that back in,,,, better to have two men beating or using a bant line

• Like 1

ANNNNDDDD! it makes you wonder when all these folk (martin king in peg to peg springs to mind) and long netters on here say that a long netters dog is a load of balls utter myth and ledged.....well that dog on the dvd wasn't a figment of imagination by any standards....it looked a very very handy dog

A dog used for gate netting has about as much relevence to a long netting dog as a spaniel has to coursing hares. They are totally different dogs. A gate netting dog is expected to go into a field lift a hare and chase it back to the gate. If there is more than one hare in the field it is expected to do the same again. If the dog does this then it can be called a gate netting dog. A very handy tool.

A long netters dog is expected, according to myth and legend, to sit while you set the net, then cast out, bant the field, ignore any rabbits that it raises and complete the bant back to the net.

Some dog!!

A hell of a difference in requirements I would say.

TC

• Like 2

I've wrote this before, years ago I decided to try my Whippet X Bedlington bitch, I kept her at my feet then run out 100 yds traditional at night, we then went up the side of the field and I let her off, and walked the field in, there was no sign of the dog, I had a few in the net but not many, this was surprising, as I worked my way along the net the dog was nicely bundled up.

and not struggling, she was very calm.

That was her first and last night session, definitely not a netting dog. :hmm::icon_eek::D

• Like 2