Ferrets - how many chances do you give them?

First outing with the ferrets this season, with high hopes!

Molly the Kelpie cross was out too, yet things did not go according to plan... I have two jills which are two years of age, so this will be their third winter so to speak.

Due to a number of reasons they didn'y get worked until the back end of last season, and then only had a few outings. Molly was nowt but a babe then, so it was hard work ferreting without a good marker and novice ferrets to boot!

Still, one or two rabbits did meet their maker, yet I was not impressed with the quality of the ferrets work. One of the jills got an outing today and did produce a bolt after a good mark from Molly, yet the bugger slipped the net... That's the trouble when the ground is like concrete and the pegs were not really in the ground more than a couple of mil!!!

Ferreted three other earths with this jill, and she simply wanted to bugger about, dig soil, play with leaves etc... There might have been a strange smell about, rabbits perhaps?! Having owned a couple of reasonable ferrets in the past, I could see that this one was not going deep or really working for the rabbits.

So, how many opportunities do you more experienced folk give your ferrets to develop? What I wouldn't give for a 100% grafter of a ferret to work with my young pup right now. Still, have a couple of kits which will hopefully do the business soon!

Might sound like a stupid question, and I'm not trying to teach you or your granny to suck eggs...

"When did you last feed it, before you took it out".... ?

or

"If it's playing, leave it, play that is.... have a smoke, do a rain dance whatever... once it's got that playin five minutes out of it's system perhaps it will do some work.....

or

Are you sure there was anything in the holes.... if not, perhaps the ferret was not going in coz there's nothing at home ???

Just a thought hope it helps...

Might sound like a stupid question, and I'm not trying to teach you or your granny to suck eggs...

"When did you last feed it, before you took it out".... ?

or

"If it's playing, leave it, play that is.... have a smoke, do a rain dance whatever... once it's got that playin five minutes out of it's system perhaps it will do some work.....

or

Are you sure there was anything in the holes.... if not, perhaps the ferret was not going in coz there's nothing at home ???

Just a thought hope it helps...

I agree with swansea jack,if they wanna be kits an have a play let em,do you feed complete food or flesh,if you dont feed flesh give em a taste ie one or two whole rabbits then take em out hungry,when i say hungry i mean ravenous it might just trigger the instinct you wanna see,best of luck and give em an easy start a shallow warren even one you know has a rabbit in it (nudge nudge)then you might be on a better footing :good:

I don't think that ferrets that are over two years of age should need to have a play before work .......... none of mine do for sure ............ by this age they should know the job at hand and if not they ferret their last hole ;) ............. Gav. give us a ring if you want a ferret mate I may have a jill here thats 100% worker that i could let you have so you ain't pissing against the wind next time your out mate ;)

I don't think that ferrets that are over two years of age should need to have a play before work .......... none of mine do for sure ............ by this age they should know the job at hand and if not they ferret their last hole  ;) ............. Gav. give us a ring if you want a ferret mate I may have a jill here thats 100% worker that i could let you have so you ain't pissing against the wind next time your out mate  ;)

I agree, my point is that he hasn't done any work with them, through no fault of the ferrets'.

Yes they should know the job at 2 but he hasn't 'worked' them so taking them out first time so to speak they are gonna get playful because they don't know the job in hand.

If they continue to play every time he takes them out do what must be done.

To be honest I have never kept a ferret of that age that hasn't proved itself working ............. but I think that afterr a few outings an "experienced" ferreter should have a rough idea if the ferret will make the grade or not :yes:

Qoute: Due to a number of reasons they didn'y get worked until the back end of last season, and then only had a few outings.

during these outings you will get a rough idea of the abilities of your ferret ....... some take to it straight away others not so but you will know after a few outings if you are going to get any trouble with your ferrets............. this applies to kits of course ............

As regards they haven't been worked ............ they have ........... read the post again and you will see that they have been worked maybe only a small amount but they know the routine when out ;)

Don't want to argu over this whatever method suites you then fine but I would still not be happy with a 2 year old that was f*****g about at the hole when out just my opinion of course :D

Afternoon fellas!

This particular jill has had perhaps half a dozen oppotunities to prove herself, and though I don't have the experience of many on here, I have owned a couple of decent ferrets that did the business. Hence my worries about the quality of this particular animal.

With regard to feeding ferrets before work, mine have always been fed before an outing and its never been a problem in the past.

She just lacks a bit of 'va va voom' that you can spot in quality working animals of any description.

As I'm an old softie, she will be given a few more chances, or be passed on as a pet.

Will keep you updated!

Mike, cheers buddy, I'll give you a call.

To be honest I have never kept a ferret of that age that hasn't proved itself working ............. but I think that afterr a few outings an "experienced" ferreter should have a rough idea if the ferret will make the grade or not  :yes: 

Qoute:    Due to a number of reasons they didn'y get worked until the back end of last season, and then only had a few outings.

during these outings you will get a rough idea of the abilities of your ferret ....... some take to it straight away others not so but you will know after a few outings if you are going to get any trouble with your ferrets............. this applies to kits of course ............

As regards they haven't been worked ............ they have ........... read the post again and you will see that they have been worked maybe only a small amount but they know the routine when out  ;) 

Don't want to argu over this whatever method suites you then fine but I would still not be happy with a 2 year old that was f*****g about at the hole when out just my opinion  of course  :D

:friends: I'm not arguing, he asked a question, I gave my opinion..... :good:

If it no good, then get rid... and you can give him one, that works! :search:

Gav........try to get a proven worker as its not the best scenario if the pups marking and not getting to see the fruits of its labour so to speak..........I have to say its ok to feed ferrets very lightly before the days outing IF they know whats what........if they are fecking around though keep 'em hungry........ you can always give 'em a piece of kidney later if they start to slump a little........if they STILL feck about.....................well........ :whistle:

When i was doing a LOAD of ferreting, i would give my ferrets one outing,...if they didnt work, they where not kept...i used to have about 60 ferrets at the start of the season (roughly late August) and buy the end of the season (Roughly March) i would have about 25...ferrets are just like terriers and lurchers...NOT all of them make the grade...simple as that...i prized my ferrets, and put a lot of time into them, and it sure did pay off!...they realy did work, and where the tamest i have ever seen...

Kye,..

Was out yesterday morning for a few hours, and took Mike's gill what he gave me, her second time out and she did exceptionally well, she wasn't half just moving them about, She had one in the mouth of the bury and was VERY calm as i took her out still attached to the coney, I'm WELL pleased with her........oh the bitch didn't do too bad either :11: :11: ;) .......So i'm sure the one you have Gav will be spot on!!!!!!........not got any pics. yet really as i am a mere bloke, and can't multitask :11: .........but priority is in 'making' the dog yet, pics..... will come later :11: ;)

DSC_0007.jpg