Bushing Boar

what a great post, thanks DnN!

I'm sure they're necessary, and almost all continental/US hunting pics I see the dogs have a similar arrangement on, but all the collars on ULgecko's 'Clyde', and the pointer looking dog behind look very cumbersome. Do they not cause any problems, looking at the dense cover the dogs are working in?

• Like 1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lunar's first solo boar 'find' happened to be a big tusker, that opened her shoulder up, and left a deep hole into the muscle, needing instant stitching   She will generally hunt close in, within

Had a great time in Hungary recently, a few days digging, a few days driven hunting, in the beating line on the boar drives. Unlacedgecko, put together a great article about it if you want a more deta

The red deer are bigger than the highland ones Im used too   The hills are all managed hardwoods. For timber and driven shooting, it seems a good system, though very long-term turnover.   Some

what a great post, thanks DnN!

I'm sure they're necessary, and almost all continental/US hunting pics I see the dogs have a similar arrangement on, but all the collars on ULgecko's 'Clyde', and the pointer looking dog behind look very cumbersome. Do they not cause any problems, looking at the dense cover the dogs are working in?

K Dog didn't have any problems running the cover. It wore him out a bit faster with the weight of it, but that was mainly due to lack of preparatory fitness training. The collars belong to DnN so none of my dogs had worn them before the trip.

The pointer was well used to wearing her vest, so she had no issues at all with any cover. If anything it probably helped to protect her from the blackthorn.

The pig my pack pulled down didn't have any cutters. If it did, Witch would be dead and I would still be sewing up Klyde...

• Like 1

The main issue that Ive seen, is an increased chance of the dog overheating. :thumbs:

That's actually why a lot of the German and Belgian beaters around here only use them very rarely. Apart from that they do not seem to work as well on smaller dogs as it does on a drahthaar or other bigger dogs. On the other hand the smaller dogs don't seem to need it, since there is usually less chance of actual contact. Since 75% of dogs that bush boar around here are usually pretty small it's not common to see vests or protective collars. Less likely to get damaged, more controlled way of getting the game to move, not to much pressure on the game.

Continental hunters like to shoot, they don't like dogs that catch the game themselves, I do;) can be pretty dangerous though with a bigger dog.

Great post and pics!

Cheers Roybo

No, I didn't take old Bud this time, as he's terrible for 'pegging' game before it makes the gun line! But he has ventured out into Europe a few times previously with good results. He is getting on now, and suffers a bit with old leg injuries.

As a paying rifle, it can run quite expensive, depending on what you shoot. As a beater, you get a small pay packet, just like here in the UK really. The cost was mainly diesel, as we drove out.

All the best

DnN

must be an experience mate ,something i wouldn't mind doing myself (beating that is)

nice one and well done

DSC_0371_zpse771dd71.jpg

Lunar's first solo boar 'find' happened to be a big tusker, that opened her shoulder up, and left a deep hole into the muscle, needing instant stitching, daft bitch

DSC_0350_zpsf2fd189c.jpg

She will generally hunt close in, within 100 yards, sometimes a bit more in woodland, but she 'checks in' regularly, and will go out to 2 km, when on the trail of game, I usually run her with a gps system. Im pleased with her general skills, bird work, retrieve, deer work, and also I hunt some rabbit and hare with her. I have a hope that with a bit more work, she will soon learn how to handle a nasty male boar.

I was a bit gutted that the first boar she found gave her a hiding, but she seemed to take it ok, and was keen to get back at them, I held her back on the lead for a bit, but then ULGecko's dogs had a boar caught and the boar had chased ULG, I let her go and join in the catch, and though keen to help, she had reverted into a baying style, which suits me. Her leg is now fully healed, and she is raring to go again, hopefully get her some action over the coming week.

This is the one that the pack caught.

DSC_0500_zps324d5d16.jpg

The digging was good crack too.

Good hunting :thumbs:

DnN

smart dog to bay after taking a nasty hit like that, here in oz a drathaar is rarely used to lug any pigs,let alone an angry boar, mainly used to find and bay.i would call a lugging drathaar a waste of talent. good to hear she still enjoys her work. atb

• 3 months later...

I have never hunted hog so if this sounds crazy sorry but how can dogs that small have a prayer against something like a hog

Most of the terriers are for driving only. They bark at the boar and make it run so that the hunters with guns can shoot it.

Mine got involved and used their teeth. They grab ears, snout and legs to hold the injured boar in place to that it can be humanely dispatched.

Wow if yours can hold something big as a hog they must be very strong dogs I would like to see that most game hunting here is with hounds what kind do you use

They aren't that strong. It was only a small pig and they still got thrown all over the place lol. I've got two terriers and a bedlington x whippet. (they can be seen on my thread http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/312829-hungary-2014/)