Bushing Boar

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lunar's first solo boar 'find' happened to be a big tusker, that opened her shoulder up, and left a deep hole into the muscle, needing instant stitching   She will generally hunt close in, within

Had a great time in Hungary recently, a few days digging, a few days driven hunting, in the beating line on the boar drives. Unlacedgecko, put together a great article about it if you want a more deta

The red deer are bigger than the highland ones Im used too   The hills are all managed hardwoods. For timber and driven shooting, it seems a good system, though very long-term turnover.   Some

F of D Redneck... Yeah the visla cross did look a lot like a small doberman for sure. I'll see if I took one of the daughter.

DnN

a picture of the daughter from yesterday:

1555444_10152202350763293_246874961_n.jp

and one with her dam:

1604929_10152201925763293_1323702180_n.j

Panna

• Like 4

It was kymin view not the narth,flaming heads not right today

Jai I often wonder how many lambs are lost to boar ,it's amazing what they will eat flesh wise,I remember a program on sky,and this eastern European boar was coursing rabbits to eat.

In Oz boar/feral pigs eating lambs are a big loss maker...

• Like 1

It was kymin view not the narth,flaming heads not right today

Jai I often wonder how many lambs are lost to boar ,it's amazing what they will eat flesh wise,I remember a program on sky,and this eastern European boar was coursing rabbits to eat.

In Oz boar/feral pigs eating lambs are a big loss maker...

That's what got me thinking about over here,I know in USA the hogs eat calves,deer fawns ,gator eggs ,quite a menace really.

There are mostly Teckels, smaller type terriers (Foxterriers, Jagdterriers, Welsh terriers and their mixes) and hounds (Kopov) used on hunts where I have visited.
But at some boar hunts they also use bigger type dogs, like this Rhodesian Ridgeback. The pics were taken last year:

321366_10151374233353293_185720737_n.jpg

...but then, when the boar turns around, it may not be a good idea:

226083_10151375757628293_902053213_n.jpg

(sorry for the pic quality, I stood too close to the action with a telezoom lens.)

Mostly any type can be taken, but smaller types are much more welcome. Big and strong dogs are not beloved by the hunting clubs, but as soon as the dog prooves that it does the job well (does not try to kill the boars by themselves and are not too violent), they are welcome.

Dogs can also practice in wild boar garten, so both owner and dog can know what to expect at a wild boar hunt.
523279_10151187404283293_1840259301_n.jp

Panna

• Like 5

Cheers Roybo

No, I didn't take old Bud this time, as he's terrible for 'pegging' game before it makes the gun line! But he has ventured out into Europe a few times previously with good results. He is getting on now, and suffers a bit with old leg injuries.

As a paying rifle, it can run quite expensive, depending on what you shoot. As a beater, you get a small pay packet, just like here in the UK really. The cost was mainly diesel, as we drove out.

All the best

DnN