Just got a pair of glosters a couple of weeks ago, ones corona one is consort I think

Is there anything special I need to know about breeding them, anything different to the Irish fancies ? I'm going to have a go off breeding them in breeding cages

The Gloster is normally paired Corona to Consort. You can expect to obtain approximately 50 percent Coronas and 50 percent Consorts. It is very important to choose your birds wisely, as the Consort is just as important as the Corona. A Consort must have a broad head to carry the crest correctly. The breeding of Corona (crest or crown) to another Corona is not an accepted practice by most Gloster breeders. There are two reasons; the fist being that the Corona is a dominate gene and with the breeding of two dominate genes you can produce a 25 percent lethal gene, i.e., one in four will die in the shell or shortly after hatching. The second is that some breeders have reported bald headed birds or birds with very poor crests.

The Glosters come in white and yellow grounds colors and are rejected in shows if they show any red coloring on their bodies. I remember when Harold Sodamonn judged a show at Westland Shopping Center when my Glosters were thrown off the bench for red color. It seems that the song food I was using at the time contained Safflower petals. This is used in cooking for a coloring agent and is very expensive in the stores. After that you can bet I started making my own song food without any coloring agents. Even marigold petals can cause problems with color in your moulting birds.

The majority of the Glosters around today are the frosts (buff) as they are the ones that show the cobbiness that win at the show. The hard feather (yellow) should be used in your breeding program to help retain good ground color and feather quality. Most breeders will introduce a hard feather into their stock once every four years. You should then take a buff from a yellow parent and breed back to a buff again.

my ole man showed them around same time, in scotland tho, iv dabbled couple times but iv gave up now, maybe when i slow down with dogs ill get some more

when these last 3 dogs are in the ground, i might have another crack as my legs and feet have seen better days, the problem is getting good breeding stock, back then around here was the best in the country for Norwich and most used Gloucester's as feeders so you could find what you were after outcross wise with ease and for pennys