Springer X Staffie

stabba

I did say MOST staff are no longer work.I also said most terriers will work to a degree.

But if there is dogs or crosses, better,

I dare say there plenty that will Bush but I dare say that can be said about loads of breeds

I'd sooner go for something with a history of hunting,terriers hound spaniel etc..why make life any harder than it needs to be.

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My pup should make a good busher

I'd opt for Staffordshire blood if I was to use a staff x spaniel due to size of the staff...couple staffs I've seen have had cracking noses and due to there smallish size have been able to get in tig

Posted Images

i think a staff and springer bred back to a full springer or a leggy terrier would be the way to go, a dash of bull is enough to add the fire.we had a mongrel mixed of whippet,pitbull,pointer x springer,turned out to be a good dog to hunt a fox

the only staff x springers I've seen have been pet bred nutjobs, so it's hard to say much about their working ability from it, but judging by them and photos online they seem to all get staff-like smooth short coats, rather than a bit more hair/more durable like a spaniel. I'd worry that they wouldn't be as keen on cover, and would rather put some hound blood in.

• Like 1

I'd give one a go.

Got a Lakeland Springer first cross here and it's turned out very useful. I would like to find such a cross or similar to put to her.

I'd give one a go.

Got a Lakeland Springer first cross here and it's turned out very useful. I would like to find such a cross or similar to put to her.

I've got a threequarter Beagle x Quarter Lakeland, hell of a dog on old Reynard.

• Like 1

I've got patterdale x cocker cracking busher,but unless the staff had something special about it

I'd use a working type terrier or hound over a spaniel tbh

Not anti staff btw I think they are cracking dogs but can they out hunt a hunting dog?

• Like 2

seen some very good bushing staffs BUT one days work layed up for four days is not the best kind of bushing dog you need

as said spaniel x terrier or beagle x but when useing the beagle x they will run on

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

i would love to see this cross, once almost bred e s s x Irish bull, 15 years ago but the bitch was shy, mousy, didn't fancy shy bull crosses. also didn't fancy fighters, fighting in deep cover over a catch for example.

i knew a pair of staff bull x collie that were 17 inch and proper good dogs. if there wasn't a run in bramble they just bore one.

i see these as bulldozers that will smash threw cover, little tanks. keep the pups back with the covered ears and good coats.

a mix of flushing dog x catch dog, if they are from two good dogs they could be special...

• 11 months later...

well I was having this same idea when I find out about flushing dogs be used to flush fur too the only thing would be most of the game we can run here with dogs would be fox coyote and hogs I would be scared a pure flushing dog would be bad hurt or killed on game like that so I got to thinking what if you x one with staff bulls for size and a strong fighter a dog like that could dive out game for a shot and be able to take care of it self if they were jumped for a fight but I don't know that much about flushing dogs over here they are just used for birds as far as I have seen and the only staff I have seen was one a boy I knew had as a watch dog so if anyone of you all could see something wrong with my thinking let me know or maybe you all could think of a better of a better catch dog to x with a flushing dog since I find out they well go after game I like the idea of a close working dog that could dive out game to the gun it just most of the game we got is fighting game

Best bushing dog ive worked myself was a springer/ bedlington. Old style beddy, not a dainty show type.Big moorland springer. Was offered a lab/staffie last year. Didnt take it and been wondering about it ever since

Edited by MFH ONEDAY