Dog Taking Off After Scent!

My young dog is 12 months now and whilst still quite immature and puppy like in a lot of ways you can see it slowly coming together. He picks up scent and off he goes through the woods and can be gone for what feels like a long time but is probs no more than 5 mins. Always comes back but because it's woodland I have no idea where he is. Does any one else have there dogs take off for any length of time? I'm concerned that if he put something large up and I didn't see it that I would have no clue where he could end up or am I being a fanny? My last dog used to cover some distance but because it was all open field I knew roughly where he was!

Yer it happens to me ALL the time.

I spend plenty of time stood in a forest listening, or walking to a high point. . . .

Usually its only for ten mins, but a few times this season it's been 30 mins up to 2 hours before I've had a full head count.

Yer it happens to me ALL the time.

I spend plenty of time stood in a forest listening, or walking to a high point. . . .

Usually its only for ten mins, but a few times this season it's been 30 mins up to 2 hours before I've had a full head count.

sh!t, that's a long time, I'd be fairly stressed if it happened to me. they do leave you with your head in your hands sometimes!

Yer, it's definatly a bit shit at times. But if you know the ground, usually you know where they will end up. Or you just have to have faith that if they have missed what they are hunting they will return, rather than just hunt on. There is a big difference between a dog just f***ing off and a dog hunting something. The problem arises when they catch it. . . . and stay with it.

There is always a moment though where you suddenly get a bit worried. . . it starts to creep in. It just feels that bit too long. . .

On the reverse. . . I'm often thinking. . . that's a long time. . . too quiet. . . and then there it goes. . . . the fecking hound baying a mile away across a river :laugh:Sometimes it's better not to know :thumbs:

was given a bull x doin the exact same thing bein slipped missing it then getten on a scent an its away. i tryed get it out of it bust just wasnt for happening an when ur out laping it f""ks off an come back bout 10mins l8r but u duno wer its been an wat fields its already cleared so had get rid of it as put u of hunting. hope u get it out of it but some dogs are just to head strong for huntiung

Edited by longrunsfox

When my young bitch use to do it at 9 months old did worry a little just incase she bumped in to something she can not handle but last few months dont really mind them going off for a period of time beats them stand by my legs all day

• Like 1

Yer, it's definatly a bit shit at times. But if you know the ground, usually you know where they will end up. Or you just have to have faith that if they have missed what they are hunting they will return, rather than just hunt on. There is a big difference between a dog just f*****g off and a dog hunting something. The problem arises when they catch it. . . . and stay with it.

as bad as when they return with tongues hanging and a mouth full of hair :laugh:

My saluki bull greyhound was bad, every time I slipped him on the lamp he would hunt the hole field up in the dark. I got a electric shock collar and he is bang on now,run him with it on for 4 months but only had to use it a few times then he got the hang ov it one run then straight back and then he could have another run. I don't even use the e collar now and he comes back straight away

You never realise how Noisy the world is until you are stood in the middle of a huge wood listening for signs of contact. I quite like hunting through the hilly scrub and dead bracken can't beat watching them trying to pounce on the quarry to save dodging fallen trees ect. I all ways stay at the last spot they disappeared at and they normally turn up but one of them will stay with his quarry no matter wat.

• Like 1