Horses For Courses

Swede 40, as I started this thread that gives me a say in things, Plummers in general 95% of them are poor dogs and I certainly agree with most lads opinions of them, most will never see proper work, I have worked and owned every type of terrier but since the ban due to the area's I hunt I only keep softer more controllable terriers, as has already been said any terrier will do a job working small runs in heavy cover and I have seen good ones of all types, you will only force a bolt by pressing your quarry or they will simply go round and round. My line of russells/Plummers are unique in their breeding and do what I want but are certainly not the "holy grail", my "arrogance" as you put it is born from a lifetime working many types of dogs all over this country and my threads and posts are supported by decent photo's as factual evidence,

"Blowhards" like yourself never offer any proof of credibility even when criticised because you simply do not have any, as has previously been said you are probably a recycled troll that's already been banned , it's easy to pick posts apart but for a "forum" to operate in the manner its meant it needs its members to participate positively, I would love to see a thread by yourself with some pics of your days out just to see if you actually own a dog , this site is made all the more poorer by trolls like yourself and it is no wonder the content has suffered so badly, I look forward to your thread and pics but I won't hold my breath, W A W, WM

Hi Wirralman what the hell does waw mean?

i was wondering that aswell!

in the contex he used it WHAT A WANKER was all i could come up with! :laugh:

CORRECT,

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some folk prefer certain traits, some prefer looks, some like the challenge, but most just aint got a clue, keep what keeps you happy, surely thats all that counts

my dogs have different trates ,the little rough haired 1 is a exceptional rabbiting dog,there is nt many places a rabbit can hide without him finding them.He has bolted them from very tight gorse patc

To me little old style jack Russell's set the bench mark for working rabbits through thick cover because in general they're custom made for the job and generall the best at it..., but there's always g

Posted Images

Getting back to original question, Wirral Countryman what situation would a good spaniel outperform a good plummer then?

The original thread I started was about buying the right dog for the right job, mainly to avoid the moving on of dogs not suited to the type of work people think they can make them do, if you buy a gundog then normally you would shoot over it, now other dogs will do a job, I've shot over a collie and my terriers but a day on the marsh wildfowling would call for a decent gundog breed, I used to train GSP's for field trials and shot over 2 myself, well I found myself short of a lurcher one year due to the premature death of my bitch and so I found myself using my GSP dog for killing foxes in tight situations, in Germany to be a field trial champion a pointer must retrieve a dead or if alive then a despatched fox over a five bar gate to the handler so I knew they could do a job, I wasn't disappointed and he soon became very adept at catching and killing many foxes for a full season until my new lurcher pup could be used, he was great for close work but anything that got clear was away, he loved drawing a fox and the massive jaw meant it was easy for him however a decent lurcher can be lamped, ferreted over, catch fur and feather yet still do what the GSP did as well, he did a job but a lurcher could do it better, I've often wondered what a lurcher cross between the 2 would of been like but it would have to be a 3/4 cross, so although the pointer did a job, I wouldn't buy one for lurcherwork

Getting back to original question, Wirral Countryman what situation would a good spaniel outperform a good plummer then?

The original thread I started was about buying the right dog for the right job, mainly to avoid the moving on of dogs not suited to the type of work people think they can make them do, if you buy a gundog then normally you would shoot over it, now other dogs will do a job, I've shot over a collie and my terriers but a day on the marsh wildfowling would call for a decent gundog breed, I used to train GSP's for field trials and shot over 2 myself, well I found myself short of a lurcher one year due to the premature death of my bitch and so I found myself using my GSP dog for killing foxes in tight situations, in Germany to be a field trial champion a pointer must retrieve a dead or if alive then a despatched fox over a five bar gate to the handler so I knew they could do a job, I wasn't disappointed and he soon became very adept at catching and killing many foxes for a full season until my new lurcher pup could be used, he was great for close work but anything that got clear was away, he loved drawing a fox and the massive jaw meant it was easy for him however a decent lurcher can be lamped, ferreted over, catch fur and feather yet still do what the GSP did as well, he did a job but a lurcher could do it better, I've often wondered what a lurcher cross between the 2 would of been like but it would have to be a 3/4 cross, so although the pointer did a job, I wouldn't buy one for lurcherwork

german pointers for some reason hate fox, any ive seen turn into a different dog around a fox, especially the wire hair germans, they are nasty fookers at the best of times but on a fox they step it up a level!!

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

some good points boys...but it is not a fact that a hound or spaniel is better covert dogs than a ter-rier, dont be getting giddy.a rough shooters dog is not the same as a bushing dog which is why they are called flushing dogs whereas a bushing dog can find and hunt ,or find and catch, different styles

of hunting.

spaniels are decent dogs but a terrier can find in cover as well as a spaniel, plus they hunt, they mark, they catch and they work below. many of the hound crosses can match the terriers but i have yet to see a spaniel that could do so. that doesn't mean there aren't any... just not passed me yet.

kev-medlock crew

• Like 2

This used to be a nice little forum with no arguing :D

Spaniels and terriers have their places and because its a spaniel or has spaniel in them (or hound for that matter) won't stop them going to ground.

I had to pull my lurcher pup out of a bury yesterday lol.if I was using 1 dog it would be a spaniel or spaniel cross,if I was using a pack I'd use a mix of different types .

But use what you like if you get The results you want.

This used to be a nice little forum with no arguing :D

Spaniels and terriers have their places and because its a spaniel or has spaniel in them (or hound for that matter) won't stop them going to ground.

I had to pull my lurcher pup out of a bury yesterday lol.if I was using 1 dog it would be a spaniel or spaniel cross,if I was using a pack I'd use a mix of different types .

But use what you like if you get The results you want.

Yup, I've seen and dug to crossbreeds and pure's of all the above (as well as a few lurchers in my time!) if they want it bad enough, they'll go and get it...! :yes::doh::laugh:

german pointers for some reason hate fox, any ive seen turn into a different dog around a fox, especially the wire hair germans, they are nasty fookers at the best of times but on a fox they step it up a level!!

was talking to a man at a show a few years back that swore by a dash of gwp in his harriers.