Horses For Courses

The mainstay of my hunting activity is bushing related now,ive witnessed numerous types and breeds hunt and brash about,most with some success,the only thing for me that can consistently push TIGHT cover at speed is the terrier,any terrier will possibly suffice if educated?.Most bushers are capable enough,when it as to run around instead of under and through,usually because of size and bulk,then its a busher with limitations,the quarry as an habit of evading a dog whose limitations slow down the pursuit.I also expect my bushers to bolt a fox that enters or is at home,a bushing,bolting jukel is tremendously rewarding,especially in the political climate we hunt in now.I prefer Beddy,s and Beddy/Fells,but would utilise any terrier type at hand.

• Like 4

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some folk prefer certain traits, some prefer looks, some like the challenge, but most just aint got a clue, keep what keeps you happy, surely thats all that counts

my dogs have different trates ,the little rough haired 1 is a exceptional rabbiting dog,there is nt many places a rabbit can hide without him finding them.He has bolted them from very tight gorse patc

To me little old style jack Russell's set the bench mark for working rabbits through thick cover because in general they're custom made for the job and generall the best at it..., but there's always g

Posted Images

For the low lying tight bramble I use a jack Russell.

Makes the job look effortless.

She got a great temprement and responds to tone of voice.

Not had any issues as regards going to ground

• Like 3

I've just re-read the last few posts and in average cover like nettles etc or a place where a spaniel may fit then they will do a job of sorts, a terrier is the only thing that can fit through the runs of heavy bramble, brier, gorse, etc, its just physically not possible for those springers to do a job all day without suffering damage to eyes, ears, etc unless you irish have those "leprechaun springers", I have seen cockers do a job but those big ears get hammered and as I hunt everyday in thick bramble its just not practical to do so, I have seen many different crosses of hound, spaniel etc hunt and none are any better than a good springer, all types of mongrel curs can do a job and if you've not seen a good pack of terriers flushing heavy cover then you would know no different where as I hunt all over this country with all sorts of mongrel packs and fox destruction societies and my terriers never disappoint me or my hosts, WM

Yep you are 100% breed blind :laugh:

I heard we had a new troll with a negative attitude to everything, try adding something positive or maybe start a thread about your dogs and experiences oh great one, its easy to snipe from the side with one liners so get a life, W A W, WM

You heard diddly squat you just dont like it that i have a difference of opinion where as yours comes across as your arrogant and have your head up your arse and your breed blind hounds cant do this hound crosses cant do that neither can springers or cockers only your dogs and plummer terriers can :laugh: thats how it comes across and half of what your saying is complete shite anyway like you have the holy grail and nothing else can do it :laugh: my opinion is your wrong ive seen all the others you have put down work ive hunted hounds foxhounds and beagle/basset type hounds and i also own a spaniel and ive seen dozens of mounted packs foot packs and pirate packs gun packs blah blah f***ing blah work and in my opinion your wrong plummer terriers are not the only ones who can run tight runs in bramble and gorse ive seen with my own eyes everything you have said that cant do it, do it on a regular basis so that only leaves me with 2 opinions on you, either you have not seen enough other things hunt cover or your breed blind :laugh: and i dont really care what you come back with i will only laugh at you so dont waste 5 minutes typing :laugh:

• Like 3

Swede 40, as I started this thread that gives me a say in things, Plummers in general 95% of them are poor dogs and I certainly agree with most lads opinions of them, most will never see proper work, I have worked and owned every type of terrier but since the ban due to the area's I hunt I only keep softer more controllable terriers, as has already been said any terrier will do a job working small runs in heavy cover and I have seen good ones of all types, you will only force a bolt by pressing your quarry or they will simply go round and round. My line of russells/Plummers are unique in their breeding and do what I want but are certainly not the "holy grail", my "arrogance" as you put it is born from a lifetime working many types of dogs all over this country and my threads and posts are supported by decent photo's as factual evidence,

"Blowhards" like yourself never offer any proof of credibility even when criticised because you simply do not have any, as has previously been said you are probably a recycled troll that's already been banned , it's easy to pick posts apart but for a "forum" to operate in the manner its meant it needs its members to participate positively, I would love to see a thread by yourself with some pics of your days out just to see if you actually own a dog , this site is made all the more poorer by trolls like yourself and it is no wonder the content has suffered so badly, I look forward to your thread and pics but I won't hold my breath, W A W, WM

• Like 1

Swede 40, as I started this thread that gives me a say in things, Plummers in general 95% of them are poor dogs and I certainly agree with most lads opinions of them, most will never see proper work, I have worked and owned every type of terrier but since the ban due to the area's I hunt I only keep softer more controllable terriers, as has already been said any terrier will do a job working small runs in heavy cover and I have seen good ones of all types, you will only force a bolt by pressing your quarry or they will simply go round and round. My line of russells/Plummers are unique in their breeding and do what I want but are certainly not the "holy grail", my "arrogance" as you put it is born from a lifetime working many types of dogs all over this country and my threads and posts are supported by decent photo's as factual evidence,

"Blowhards" like yourself never offer any proof of credibility even when criticised because you simply do not have any, as has previously been said you are probably a recycled troll that's already been banned , it's easy to pick posts apart but for a "forum" to operate in the manner its meant it needs its members to participate positively, I would love to see a thread by yourself with some pics of your days out just to see if you actually own a dog , this site is made all the more poorer by trolls like yourself and it is no wonder the content has suffered so badly, I look forward to your thread and pics but I won't hold my breath, W A W, WM

Ohh god not the photo evidence card again! :laugh: im sure alot of you lads have more experience than me (as WM made clear to me in the past!) lol but to be honest it all depends on personal prefrence and the sort of hunting and the types of land you hunt which dogs suits you best. Ive seen terriers bushing to guns/lurchers and done a cracking job, travelling through cover faster than larger dogs due to there size, but personally i couldnt keep a terrier for bushing cause if they go to ground in some of the places round me your pretty much f****d! I have a spaniel for just the odd but of bushing and the terriers dont get off the lead till we're at an earth to avoid accidents! Im sure your plummers do the job for you WM i dont deny that but ffs whats with the defensive "i know better than you all" attitude, we all have opinions, that doesnt mean any of us are [BANNED TEXT] or wrong including you :yes:

• Like 2

attachicon.gif013.JPG spaniel x terrier for me any tight cover they will work ive found haveing a pure terrier they will drop down :thumbs:

That pic reminds me of the first Spaniel/Terriers I knew of. A mate of mine, one of this cities finest hunting men, bred 'em, back in the 80's.

We all thought he must be mad to put a Spaniel across his quality, hard-bitten, digging bitches but then we seen the outcome work and it was a revelation.... :yes:

Far from it WM. All my terriers are exercised by bushing and there's not a year goes by that I don't have an accident or two.

But my terriers are bred for what terriers should be bred for. They also naturally ignore rabbits that have gone to ground but will put them out of cover.

It's not limited thinking when I say that a terrier that wont go to ground on a fox is a sub-standard terrier, it's a fact.

Same as a greyhound that wont chase or a hound that wont follow a line, they're sub-standard.

Also it's not limited thinking when I say that a good springer or a hound is better in covert than a good bushing terrier. That's also a fact.

It's no coincidence that by far the most popular dog used by the 1000s of rough shooters here in Ireland is the springer spaniel. What's rough shooting only bushing all quarry to a gun.

IMO if you have a job to do then you use what's best for that job.

If it's bolting foxes use a terrier. if it's lamping rabbits use a lurcher and if it's putting quarry out of covert then use the breed that's best at it and also doesn't go to ground.

But then again some people go through life with the breed that they like and it's completely up to them what they want to feed and use.

Well Neil that's the biggest pile of sh*t I've ever read on here and so bigoted its unreal, you're so wide of the mark its laughable, you're either pissed or smacked off your tits either way get help, I shoot and bush to lurchers everyday, I've worked lots of quality gundogs but there is nothing out there that could beat my terriers in cover, heavy or otherwise, get help or observe some better dogs, WM

very bold statement that....... :thumbs:

Hi willow, the dog on the right is the split of mine, my one just has slightly smaller patches. She is a plummer x 15tts she's not too bad but does struggle in some of the tighter spots. atb daywalker.

shes a beagle x russall honest little dog but i like the spaniel x terrier for what i work rabbits but work her with them and the team is buzzing Bosun my first one was back in mid 80s opened my eyes to cover work and no worrie about dropping down holes

my next few years of spaniel x :thumbs:

• Like 2

Hi Wirralman what the hell does waw mean?

Hi Wirralman what the hell does waw mean?

i was wondering that aswell!

in the contex he used it WHAT A WANKER was all i could come up with! :laugh:

• Like 1