Horses For Courses

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some folk prefer certain traits, some prefer looks, some like the challenge, but most just aint got a clue, keep what keeps you happy, surely thats all that counts

my dogs have different trates ,the little rough haired 1 is a exceptional rabbiting dog,there is nt many places a rabbit can hide without him finding them.He has bolted them from very tight gorse patc

To me little old style jack Russell's set the bench mark for working rabbits through thick cover because in general they're custom made for the job and generall the best at it..., but there's always g

Posted Images

To me little old style jack Russell's set the bench mark for working rabbits through thick cover because in general they're custom made for the job and generall the best at it..., but there's always going to be a compromise and that's why I can totally understand why some prefer spaniels etc, but what I can't understand is why some want a rabbit bushing dog and get a terrier that is from digging lines.

• Like 7

As long as you're happy, who cares. So what if someone takes a digging dog and ends up shooting over it or takes a gundog and ends up ratting with it.

Be honest with yourself and enjoy your days in the field, they're too few to care about such trivial things imo.

• Like 1

As long as you're happy, who cares. So what if someone takes a digging dog and ends up shooting over it or takes a gundog and ends up ratting with it.

Be honest with yourself and enjoy your days in the field, they're too few to care about such trivial things imo.

would you go and buy a whippet to run in a coursing competition, No !! so why buy something from digging dogs to bush with, this is why you get problems, when buying a pup a little foresight avoids most disappointments, us british have been breeding the best hunting dogs in the world for 100's of years and most foreign breeds are only a poor copy of what we already have, our breeds of terriers and hounds are known as the best dogs the world over and held up as the pinnacle in their particular fields, WM

I can't dissagree with that WC, but people like what they like. Terriers are versatile little things and if that's what you get on with why not. I'd say it's more important that people are aware of what it is they are getting than necessarily the suitability of that dog for that job. Regardless of the type someone chooses for the job they have I'd say ignorance is a bigger issue. You can buy a spaniel for beating but if you haven't a clue about the breed it'll cause hell for you, you can buy a digging dog for beating and with a thorough understanding of the animal you can end up with something usefull.

That said, if all you wanted was a beating dog you'd get a dog from parents that are handy beating dogs not handy earth dogs. :laugh: But it takes all sorts.

• Like 3

my friend was bushing rabbits with his 8 yr old russell last weekend and it dropped in a big place. never been dug and not been one for going to ground.

two others dropped in for a short while, but my mates russell has not been seen since. the lads have run 2 separate dogs with collars on through, dropped holed and pushed rods through tubes but no avail, they spent 3 whole days there.

for that reason, in my part of the world a terrier bushing is just not worth the risk, IMO

This is exactly why I wouldn't bother with a terrier. I'd be gutted.

Be even more gutted if it dropped in a badger sett on some where where you wernt supposed to be its one of the reasons i wouldent have a terrier for bushing it happend once and i swore i would never be in that predicament again.

• Like 2

my friend was bushing rabbits with his 8 yr old russell last weekend and it dropped in a big place. never been dug and not been one for going to ground.

two others dropped in for a short while, but my mates russell has not been seen since. the lads have run 2 separate dogs with collars on through, dropped holed and pushed rods through tubes but no avail, they spent 3 whole days there.

for that reason, in my part of the world a terrier bushing is just not worth the risk, IMO

Be even more gutted if it dropped in a badger sett on some where where you wernt supposed to be its one of the reasons i wouldent have a terrier for bushing it happend once and i swore i would never be in that predicament again.
There's gotta be a good story behind that :)

There's gotta be a good story behind that :)

Sure is though the out come was good and i havent got a conviction for badger digging on my record lol.

• Like 1

Tats, we've all dropped on the wrong sort now and then its just part of the job we do and an odd slip up or accident is allowed, when young travel or are pushed out of cover they will seek refuge in the nearest hole or drain, seen young appear in places miles from a known set, just one of those things, WM

I expect my bushers to push cover and bolt the occupants,i also expect them to bolt Charlie boy if he seeks refuge below,i don,t have the kennel space for 2 types of worker when 1 is all that's needed.The next time we take any dog out may be its last,through loss or injury,its always been that way.We take precautions,learn the lie of the land and what it holds etc.I don,t want a terrier that only works off a lead,i don,t want a bushing jukel that cannot work below,i don,t want to injure or lose one of my working mutts,but at times I have and will.

• Like 1

I expect my bushers to push cover and bolt the occupants,i also expect them to bolt Charlie boy if he seeks refuge below,i don,t have the kennel space for 2 types of worker when 1 is all that's needed.The next time we take any dog out may be its last,through loss or injury,its always been that way.We take precautions,learn the lie of the land and what it holds etc.I don,t want a terrier that only works off a lead,i don,t want a bushing jukel that cannot work below,i don,t want to injure or lose one of my working mutts,but at times I have and will.

you couldnt do this in my part of the world, too many bad places. nice for you that you can do that.

your dogs collared up?