Horses For Courses

There seems to be a lot of confusion lately as to what certain breeds were bred for, I know we all like certain types as our favorites but whats the use of buying off good digging patterdale parents with the sole intention of using it for bushing or shooting over, I have noticed a lot of posts lately from lads with the wrong sort of dog for the quarry they intend to work, I'm all for dogs that are all rounders but you cannot reinvent the basic nature of a breed, a little bit of foresight and research before buying your tyke will lead to less problems and the need for re-homing lost causes, buy pups from the kind of dogs that are already working in the manner you intend to do yourself and try to see them work if poss, WM

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some folk prefer certain traits, some prefer looks, some like the challenge, but most just aint got a clue, keep what keeps you happy, surely thats all that counts

my dogs have different trates ,the little rough haired 1 is a exceptional rabbiting dog,there is nt many places a rabbit can hide without him finding them.He has bolted them from very tight gorse patc

To me little old style jack Russell's set the bench mark for working rabbits through thick cover because in general they're custom made for the job and generall the best at it..., but there's always g

Posted Images

Any dog in principle can be utilised to suit the owners purpose,in reality a better suited mutt would suit the purpose with better reward,i totally agree with horses for courses,why have a second rate mutt at its purpose when there are better options about,Staffs for bushing fecks with my limited intelligence.

• Like 1
Guest foxpack

my dogs have different trates ,the little rough haired 1 is a exceptional rabbiting dog,there is nt many places a rabbit can hide without him finding them.He has bolted them from very tight gorse patches,stick piles,rock piles,and so on.I can take him ferreting he will mark rabbits to ground,mark them in walls.and real steady round nets ,ferrets .he is also a great foxing dog and runs along side our other dogs all day long ,just starting to tire out near end of day.he has bolted foxes from numerous earths..great everyday dog.

post-88696-0-30519900-1390770758.jpg

now the white 1 being beagle xrussell ,just loves to go ,loves wooded areas ,gorse banks ,bracken beds etc,always on the wind ,nose down tail up,this thing can shift through woods just as fast as old charlie boy,,he will hunt rabbits ,but to me won,t commit to tight low cover,seems to tip toe through spots .but other spots he,ll fly through them,same thing horses for courses ,put him in wood with small rough dog ,they,ll both hunt ,but the white 1 is much faster at covering ground .great fox drive dog.

post-88696-0-53565900-1390771109.jpg

now these things which are the beagle x cockers fly through anything ,really don,t care what cover in front of them .they ,ll go through ,over ,under ,anything.Do not like sitting still for 5 minutes,real easy to work with,.good attitude to work.will hunt anything anyway..good everyday dog and fox drive animal.

post-88696-0-90811700-1390771369.jpg

• Like 8

Has any 1 ever seen a pondengo pequino i think they are from portugal but as far as i can tell they are bred to flush or catch rabbits in cover. Ive seen them on utube and they look handy little dogs 4 bushing. I wonder if any 1 uses them over here.

What's the point of seeking out foreign dogs when you can go and buy a decent Russell or plummer that will do that job perfectly well if not better than some alien mutt no-ones ever heard of, its no wonder our native breeds are getting so f*cked up, WM

• Like 3

wasnt folk sayin same thing about plummers a few decades ago, if we all stuck to the traditional or popular types it would be boring.

Plummers have never been completed as a proper breed due to messers pulling them in 3 different directions and they aren't that much different than a Russell anyway,, we have enough traditional breeds to cover any work asked of them in this country without more messers thinking they need to fix something that aint broke, Plummer was an egocentric tit with an odd need to be famous and have a terrier named after himself by half ruining decent jack russells in that process, mongrelising breeds for personal gratification has been at a cost of poor health by inbreeding to a small gene pool in pursuit of a coat pattern, WM

• Like 2

my friend was bushing rabbits with his 8 yr old russell last weekend and it dropped in a big place. never been dug and not been one for going to ground.

two others dropped in for a short while, but my mates russell has not been seen since. the lads have run 2 separate dogs with collars on through, dropped holed and pushed rods through tubes but no avail, they spent 3 whole days there.

for that reason, in my part of the world a terrier bushing is just not worth the risk, IMO

• Like 5

my friend was bushing rabbits with his 8 yr old russell last weekend and it dropped in a big place. never been dug and not been one for going to ground.

two others dropped in for a short while, but my mates russell has not been seen since. the lads have run 2 separate dogs with collars on through, dropped holed and pushed rods through tubes but no avail, they spent 3 whole days there.

for that reason, in my part of the world a terrier bushing is just not worth the risk, IMO

This is exactly why I wouldn't bother with a terrier. I'd be gutted.

This is exactly why I wouldn't bother with a terrier. I'd be gutted.

the lad is gutted, he's clinging onto hope that dogs come out and took himself off to a farm to lie up. hes been round the farms and left his number.