Pup Did Well Today Fao: Matt101

Had a couple of hrs out ferreting this morning and got a few. Young ferrets worked well and the pup starting to twig what its all about. Really enjoyed it.

Pup collie whippet grey

The golden oldie bull whippet grey

post-643-0-67853800-1390490051.jpgpost-643-0-56360900-1390490077.jpgpost-643-0-56490700-1390490100.jpg

• Like 8

Good stuff, well done to you and the pup! He's looking fantastic, what sort of size is he? It's great when they start taking notice of the warrens, mine still wants to hunt further up the hedges if the rabbits take their time to bolt, but i guess she'll soon realise to stay put and concentrate on the job at hand.

How was he when you were out?

ATB

Edited by matt101

Hi matt hes jst taller than my bullx whos 23.5tts so hes prob jst under 24 and think hes done growing. But thats fine by me and nice to have a racey out and out running dog hes like a coiled spring compared to my bullx.

Its only his second time out ferreting but hes been out mooching/marking a lot. He marks but i dont trust it yet. Hes fine with ferrets but needs to learn to respect the nets. Left a despatched netted rabbit unattended and he ran off with it half a field away. Hes broken to stock but got bit jumpy today because of a load of cattle close to us on the fence line, saying that hes not seen cattle as much as hes seen sheep/horses.

Ive really messed up the retrieve bevause ive not put the time in. Going to concentrate on that big time from now right way through to season. Did give him 3 retrieves yesterday though and was suprised he brought them back to hand so im confident it can be brought around. Was tempting to give him a dropper today but decided against it. Hes still very mature yet in temperament. Hes watched other dogs on the lamp and starting to follow the beam and is mad kean spotting them out of the lamp. Gave him bout 3 runs about a mnth and half ago but realised he was too young and wasnt worth risking it. I miscalculated and thought he was couple mnths older than what he is so when i lamped him thought he was 10 mnths when he must of been 8!...anyway was only few runs so hel be fine. Can be bit flighty and too clever for his own gd at times especially when he knows hes going in the kennel.

Sorry for going on hows yours mate? She looks really well and stronger set than mine across the chest

Cheers

Hi matt hes jst taller than my bullx whos 23.5tts so hes prob jst under 24 and think hes done growing. But thats fine by me and nice to have a racey out and out running dog hes like a coiled spring compared to my bullx.

Its only his second time out ferreting but hes been out mooching/marking a lot. He marks but i dont trust it yet. Hes fine with ferrets but needs to learn to respect the nets. Left a despatched netted rabbit unattended and he ran off with it half a field away. Hes broken to stock but got bit jumpy today because of a load of cattle close to us on the fence line, saying that hes not seen cattle as much as hes seen sheep/horses.

Ive really messed up the retrieve bevause ive not put the time in. Going to concentrate on that big time from now right way through to season. Did give him 3 retrieves yesterday though and was suprised he brought them back to hand so im confident it can be brought around. Was tempting to give him a dropper today but decided against it. Hes still very mature yet in temperament. Hes watched other dogs on the lamp and starting to follow the beam and is mad kean spotting them out of the lamp. Gave him bout 3 runs about a mnth and half ago but realised he was too young and wasnt worth risking it. I miscalculated and thought he was couple mnths older than what he is so when i lamped him thought he was 10 mnths when he must of been 8!...anyway was only few runs so hel be fine. Can be bit flighty and too clever for his own gd at times especially when he knows hes going in the kennel.

Sorry for going on hows yours mate? She looks really well and stronger set than mine across the chest

Cheers

Yeh sounds a bit taller than mine, to be fair i dont really mind what size she makes either, and i cant see her getting much taller than she is now, just more bulk. Yeh they seem very quick to me, not that i can compare to another lurcher as this is my first but she can accelarate very quickly. I know what you mean about not leaving dispatched rabbits alone! mine needs constant reminding to 'leave it' shes just so keen to get at anything furry lol.

Yeah i'm sure his retrieve will be fine if you make it a more regular part of your training, but i wouldnt go mad with retrieving, i think i went at it bit to much early on and had to have a little break as she got a bit bored, but after the break she seem to have a renewed intrest and now she cant get enough of it.

Yeh my pup stands on its back legs trying to get at bunnies spotted on the lamp, keen is an understatment! i gave her a couple of slips a little while ago, she came very cose but no joy, ill leave it till shes a couple more months older i think. Thats funny i got my pups age wrong too, i have no idea how but i thought she was about a month older than she actually was, they are just over 9.5 months old right?

So far shes doing well, been doing a bit of work with the gun and shes doing alright, has a good nose, finds plenty of game so far but there is the obvious problem of trying to stop her going after what she flushes, not sure if ill ever get her to stop but i dont really mind, working to the gun is an extra and if it doesnt work out then ill just use her for the usual activities.

Im going to get as much ferreting done over the next month as iv already found young inside a few of the rabbits i caught, Trying to get her as much experience as possible before summer arrives.

ATB

ATB

Sounds like shes doing really well.Yeah mate sure there bout that old think born late march. Ha were jst too keen wishing they were older. Yeah thats what hes like on his back legs lamping then nose down trying to drag me everywhere. cheers for retreiving advice jst do a few each day and build it up. Should be ideal size for rabbiting tho and odd big rabbit and if the parents are anything to go by bit more than that;-).

Thats impressive the work with the gun matt.

Walked all night for few decent slips but prob was too young and not best fields when took him lamping but think take him again soon.

Billyboy- was north somerset cant remember where.

KittleRox- cheers mate

Sounds like shes doing really well.Yeah mate sure there bout that old think born late march. Ha were jst too keen wishing they were older. Yeah thats what hes like on his back legs lamping then nose down trying to drag me everywhere. cheers for retreiving advice jst do a few each day and build it up. Should be ideal size for rabbiting tho and odd big rabbit and if the parents are anything to go by bit more than that;-).

Walked all night for few decent slips but prob was too young and not best fields when took him lamping but think take him again soon.

KittleRox- cheers mate

How olds your bitch mate shes really nice? Im always getting asked if hes a hancock. Sire collie greyx whippet

Dam was also collie whipp grey but not sure % sure the pups no more than quarter collie though.

Cheers

KittleRox- cheers mate

Yeh she's doing alright mate, she's a funny little thing though, she won't often retrieve cold game and she's not too keen on retrieving pigeons unless they are flapping a little bit lol. Warm rabbits are fine with her though. Yeh I was told they were born April 4th which makes them 9 months and 23 days. Yeh it will be good to see what they are capable of. my bitch has really packed on the pounds over the last 2 weeks and she's getting quicker too so I think I can feel another trip out lamping soon.

Nice dog billy boy

ATB

Edited by matt101

Hi matt i took him out on the lamp 2 nights ago. No joy but wasnt a lot out at all. Walked round for about 3.5hrs local it was prob too wet. He was very steady tho dropping at gates, he responded to the no command when he spotted something out the beam while he was loose. He was looking down the beam a bit with his nose down less. Gave him one slip all night on a squater which he didnt see till it moved. He was right on it turning it inside out but then he seemed to lose sight of it. I kept the lamp on the rabbit thinking where the hells the dog. He eventually got back on it but it beat him to the headge. Could have gave him some silly slips but its not worth it. Yeah his back and legs have filled out a lot lately.

Cheers

Sounds like hes maturing a bit and figuring it out now, shouldnt be long until he connects with one! I was tempted to go out last night but at the same time im thinking ill wait a bit for some young easy rabbits, i found young in quite a few does so shouldnt be that long a wait till they start appearing. yeh not worth slipping him on anything other than easy ones i reckon. Think i made some progress with my bitch and cold game, did a few nice retrieves with a pheasant so going to work on that as she'll probably see quite a bit of pigeon shooting work from the hide, and want her to be fairly prepared for that.

How is your pup with returning once he misses a rabbit?

ATB