Hobs Or Jills

Guest vin

I like to use a smallish type of jill as a depth gauge..see how deep the warren is before you put the big guns in for a dig.. But I,m still using Jills..just of different sizes..One of them is as big as a fat Hob and she is a muncher..But I only put her in if the small ones fail to evacuate the premises.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive sorted hit with R,C1,, and we will have a good day out, no helper , i like to dog me own fert and net up meself,,,,i have place in mind hits all roads sets,,,, hit mite end up were we will have to

Seen it before but that looked a cracking few days sport. In cracking company, and a few handy dogs running about...... few beers at night and it would be priceless weekend for me

Don't panick tommo nobody's backing out

If they are gonna bolt they bolt. No matter what goes down the hole.

Gaz if thats the case then why concern ourselves with good driven working stock? By the merits of your statement we could enter any old stuff to ground and their pointless bumbling would result in the same outcome as seasoned workers? We're going to have to agree to differ on this I think.

Working single handed I far prefer my jills and by no means are they needing 10 mins, of course I still have go dig and when I do the jills will be there with their rabbits, when I use the hob I'm virtually following him with the box from entering and then each time he stops marking the spot to go back to,8 times out of ten I've marked a dead rabbit.So I'm digging and the dogs just standing watching and as I'm on me own it's time out of me day.It depends what suits I guess, I'd rather some good runs and a few netted than me Hob having all the fun and leaving me all the work.Each to their own and what suits best.

We were talking about working Hobs and Jill's...

"No matter what goes down the hole" referred to hob or Jill, big or small.

Not your granny's hamster :thumbs:

Maybe your Jill is a particularly good holder of rabbits, maybe your hob is a ferocious killer.

My hob has been bolting well for me this week and I've been digging to him about as frequently as the Jill. The difference being when I get to the hob it's a dead rabbit, sometimes when I get to the Jill it's dragged her down the tube a bit. Or it's kicked her off and it's bolted as I broke through etc.

It's always gonna be each to their own. This particular Hob is doing his job well.

My hob used to drag the feckers around the warren... the one can vouch for that...

Aye i left you and mini me too dig it out he said he got down to it and it was dragging the rabbit further into the warren but he already down five foot :laugh::laugh::laugh:

While we are on the subject of Hobs.. Does anyone keep a strain of the old Greyhound type ferrets...? long lean killing machines.

I would really appreciate the use of a proven good hob to use over a very good Jill when the time comes this spring.

I've worked hobs and jills but I prefer long slender Jill's as I find it's a lot of digging to hobs due to them been able to hold a rabbit better than a Jill or the rabbit not being able to pass the hob in a tunnel, once a hob has learned to kill quick your fecked as you spend most of the day digging, the way I see it is ferreting is better without the digs as digging is time consuming and bloody hard work,

The challenge above should be for bolted rabbits highest tally at a set time with all ferrets in box and nets up

Atb rc1

• Like 1

LOL TOMO,,,,,,,, IM IN DURHAM MORE TIMES THAN IM IN THE MIDLANDS,,,THE TOP PIC WAS IN DUHAM,,LOL 2ND PIC, FRIDAY NITE TOMO HAD THE RABBITS THEY WAS FROM DURHAM, OUT OF 44 NONE ADD YOUNG IN THEM,,,ALLSO THE 3ND PIC WAS FROM DURUM 64, ,,AND THE THE 4TH PIC HALF COME FROM DURHAM.,, I DONT MIND THE TRAVEL,,,,,,,

DSC01542_zpseaa2ba9e.jpg

DSC01781_zpsa923c47e.jpg

DSC01734_zpsef96392d.jpg

IMG_8271_zpsc454d333.jpg

IMG_7772_zps3445ed4b.jpg

Edited by tjones3862
  • Like 1