• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

" Neo ". From the Austro Hungarian, isn't it? For 'New'? Something like that.   Your self professed " Amateur " status as a rat catcher belies your clean slate, clear visioned approach, TC   W

Is their anyone who could tell me the best bait for catching rats in a live catch trap also do you have to disguise the trap with anything I'd be grateful for any tips cheers

I live backed on to waist ground and since the day we moved in we have had trouble with rats.It was a matter in the past of if I seen rats I would get the fens out. The problem was by the time I seen

Posted Images

I'm in exactly the same boat,weve got a massive rat problem at home and i need to pull my finger out.

I nearly shat myself last night when i closed the chiken and 1 ran past my leg,didn't have the nerve to move let alons stand on the twat.

Peanut butter or nuttella worked last time.

Why live traps?

Properly set kill traps will be easier to use and will get better results in less time.

If you've got rats in your home or garden then you are risking the health of your family and livestock. Most Local Authorities offer subsidised pest control services and that is your best bet. Catching a few rats may be fun, but personally, I think a professional is a better bet when you and yours are at risk.

Keeping a few kill traps set around livestock areas will prevent further problems, but if you are seeing rats around it's gone beyond that stage already.

I live backed on to waist ground and since the day we moved in we have had trouble with rats.It was a matter in the past of if I seen rats I would get the fens out. The problem was by the time I seen the rats it was too late, and they had become established in their new territory, and being neophobic it made them harder to trap. it took a while but eventually I got on top of them.

After an absence of rats for a couple of months stupidly I let things slip again, then the whole circle started again. However, I had a good hard think about them and came up with a plan. It is well documented that rats are neophobic, yet they will move into new territory quite willingly and although they may be tentative at first, they soon get the lay of the land so to speak. Common sense dictated that if the traps were in situ when the rats moved in, they would just take them as part of the fixtures and fittings of their new territory.

I now run two non baited fens on the two runs that I found they used to access the property and it seemed to work well for 4 years, every morning I send the pom down the garden and she checks the traps for me. It was her that alerted me to a pair I had under the shed, it took me over a week to catch them both.

I would say forget the cage traps I have caught in them but I find once you catch one they do not seem to catch again for a while, maybe because I shoot them in the trap, and the trap becomes tainted in some way? Get some fens out where the rats are entering the propety, it may take a while but you will get on top of them in the end.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

They can't resist chocolate, when I had a problem I grated the chocolate into the poison, and tied up little bags and they never left any.

I would always secure the bags so they wouldn't go of with it and leave it for some thing else to eat.

Happy Hunting

They can't resist chocolate, when I had a problem I grated the chocolate into the poison, and tied up little bags and they never left any.

I would always secure the bags so they wouldn't go of with it and leave it for some thing else to eat.

Happy Hunting

Duty bound to tell you that adding anything to a pre-mixed rodenticide is not only dangerous, but also illegal.

The best bait for trapping depends partly on where you are baiting. Chocolate and peanut butter is not alot of use in the countryside because the rats don't know what they are.

I had good success with the Bell Provoke product on break backs, but have also had a good few with lard and good whole maize.

The best bait for trapping depends partly on where you are baiting.

The local Euro Spar once taught me a great bait for rural rats .....

I'd done my supplies shopping, in town. I ended up with a box of provisions I didn't want to haul back to the pub (my staging post) so asked the Spar to deliver them out to my place.

Well, my Dogs were free, in the compound. So, I didn't want any innocent even getting near my gate. I told the girl she should leave the box up the track. I'd pick it up in the taxi, on my way home. Which I did. An hour or two later on that bright and sunny day.

It was only as I was unpacking the box of goodies that I noticed something was wrong with my loaf of brack. (Brack, in case ye don't know, is a delicious sort of fruit loaf / cake we get here. Highly recommended!)

I straight away saw that the cellophane wrapping was torn away and that at least two or three slices had vanished! There were also crumbs left and suspicious looking bite marks. I hadn't noticed any of this in the shop .....

What ever. I photographed the evidence, for my files, and determined to investigate the shop, next time I was in town.

tn_DSC02480_zps3f79dc12.jpg

tn_DSC02498_zpsb6679d2d.jpg

This I did. The bracks on the shelf were perfect. No problem there then.

That's when the penny finally dropped. Within an hour of being placed beside the hedge, in broad daylight, my groceries had become subject to a .......... Wait for it!

Drum roll, please ....................

Excited, Sun advert voice .............................!

Farm Track Rat Pack Brack Attack!!!!!

For f**k sake. I can't believe I just wrote all that, just to get That one off my chest :no:

F**king shoot me, someone.

Is their anyone who could tell me the best bait for catching rats in a live catch trap also do you have to disguise the trap with anything I'd be grateful for any tips cheers

Your gonna laugh at this but the best bait i've found for catching rats is some Crispy Fried Onion which can be got in either Lidl or Aldi, cant remember which! It has a really strong smell and rats go mad for it! It comes in a tub and lasts for ages. Even works around chicken coops where the rats are feeding on grain and not bothering with other baits!

Keep that to yourself now, and don't tell a soul! :-)

• Like 1

Happy Hunting

Chocolate and peanut butter is not alot of use in the countryside because the rats don't know what they are.

you do talk some shit matt

you do talk some shit matt

Of course I do Teapot.

'Shit' based on over 25 years as a professional pest controller. What's your opinion based on? A couple of years of following other people around trying to work out why they are doing what they are doing?

Perhaps, instead of just coming on here to try and cause trouble and insult people, you could explain why it's shit, and what you base your opinion on?

This has always been a friendly and informative part of the forum. If individuals are going to come on here with hidden agendas and try and spark off trouble then they will get short shrift from me and they may find themselves limited to a back slapping facebook group...