Hunting Hares From Horseback With Falcon And Sighthounds

Not riding to hounds in the conventional sense but I and a couple of friends are getting a mounted team together for falconry on horseback here in New Mexico. I have a foxhunting background my twin brother has been a master of the Meath Hounds in the past but this is a new venture for me. I have just started getting falcon and horse comfortable together but in the next 2 weeks we should be in the field hunting. I would probably be at already but my falcon is recovering from injuries from a coyote attack while she was on a hare kill and needs a bit of rest.

Here is a pic of us doing the intoductions in the arena, hopefully over the next couple of months we will get pictures and video of our hunts.

20140114_111342_zps2666018b.jpg

What we will be following on horseback

d660a83b-e536-4079-9c4e-e8a948fc7c01_zps

8946768d-4c3b-4863-b2ec-76e1b6417fd9_zps

Some of the chases go 2 miles at high speed so it should be a lot of fun to follow mounted.

All the best Terence

• Like 16

I'm loving the pictures . :thumbs:

Seems like it could be an interesting venture.

I'm interested in what happens after the kill do the dogs leave it to the falcon or vice verser ?

I can see the old coursing boys being interested too :laugh:

Have to say, that looks unreal and the pictures are amazing! Is this common practice over there?

There are 5 people doing this in North America only 3 of which are active this season. Myself and 2 others hunt with falcons and sighthounds here in Central New Mexico and we are just starting to utilise horses in this hunt. Next year we will have 2 more falconers doing this in our area one of which has 21 horses so we should be well set. this season will just be figuring out the ins and outs of adding a horse to the team. Tomorrow will be our first mounted hunt I will try to get some pics when I am out. Sadly my falcon is injured at the moment so wont be hunting for a month due to being grabbed by coyotes while on a kill.

I'm interested in what happens after the kill do the dogs leave it to the falcon or vice verser ?

The dogs let the falcon have the kill, there main interest is getting the "Crunchy Squeaky" once its broken they just want to find another one. The bird just wants dinner!

The dogs let the falcon have the kill, there main interest is getting the "Crunchy Squeaky" once its broken they just want to find another one. The bird just wants dinner!

That statement perfectly illustrates the point which was being discussed on another thread about how wolves 'became' dogs and the hunt drive compared to prey drive. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

That's excellent, I'm also assuming that the dogs help hunt up and raise the hare?

Yes they do and importantly they keep it moving, hares tend to avoid the falcon by hiding in a bush and if really pushed they go down holes but the dogs keep it moving fast so the falcon can use its speed to hit the hare and take it down rather than a rat hunt around the bushes.