Piking

im after some advice if someone could help me I want to target the pike on a local canal I know there a few there some jacks and coupe of lads said they've had the odd 20lber out. and my mate had some last year iv tried fishing it a couple of times now with no joy iv lured fished it once only got follows buy perch and deabaited it two or 3 times with no luck. iv been putting a deadbait down the margins just over the shelf and one to the far side to any over hanging trees or just drop it behind the far shelf. iv also tried it at the side of boats. the rig im using work on another venue were I catch pike regular its a float with a bomb just before the wire trace to get the deadbait on the bottom but it doesn't seem to be working iv been trying to keep it simple. im goning to try and live bait it as thathow my mate caught last year. iv been keeping mobile and move further up the naking every half an hour to an hour. is there anything ellse I could do change the depth of the rig suspend a deadbait? pop a deadbait up? any advice would be great thanks.

Edited by marky r
  • Like 1

First thing you've got to remember is...that people bull$hit about pike more than any other fish......chances are, there ain't no 20lber.....

but, if there were, why not try a nice livey, either free roving or paternoster at the side of the boats

• Like 3

Suspended deadbait on a greased line and let it drift,popped up deadbaits 18 inches off bottom...the canals round here can be very patchy if you find a hot spot they are just that HOT,a word of warning ...keep quiet about any captures...took a few lads on some good stretches years ago,nobody ever fished them,by the next winter it was packed with pike fisherman and the pike had gone :thumbs: a cracking method on busy stretches of water ,wait till near dusk ,put a good sized livebait on and literally lower it onto the surface,and stand well back,the takes can be spectacular :D this method has caught me some big fish on difficult waters,calls them in for miles,even in a deep margin they cant resist them :thumbs: ATB Dave

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

There's plenty of pike in canal's if you put the hour's in, just leapfrog your rod's every 45 minutes and you will find them, the last hour or two of light is when the big girl's should be mooching about, like northern lad said drop a livey in, maybe by a moored barge and get ready, good luck mate. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The problem with liveys,is that they attract the jack pike who are willing to chase a livebait.The bigger and older girls seem to scavenge to preserve their energy.

I would use a Pollan which naturally pop up off the bottom.Sardines and Smelt seem to be canal favourites too!.

I have also had a lot of success on canals with Lamprey as they bleed and send out a scent in the water.Stick to features on the canal too,as they Will out fish the other areas.Are there any areas on the canal where Swans or other birds get fed with bread,as these areas over time will attract the Roach and Bream,and the pike will be thereabouts.

• Like 3