Poaching Deer!!!

With out going too far into it, I'm heading up a UK based team working on counter poaching.

Iv worked in South Sudan, Kenya. And Zimbabwe through my career doing counter poaching or tracking. Mainly converting rebel groups into "reserve wardens" the fee they get for their knowledge of the ground out weighs their need then to become a rebel. It works.

Now back to England, the team will comprise of only top line ex military with Recce or similar experience with Jungle Tracking experience. We will be able to provide consultancy and more versatile counter poaching activities with a reaction plan should poachers be spotted.

Poachers in the UK have been getting away with this for decades, with technology etc. not any more. The techniques we use are proven techniques used in warfare to track the likes of jihadist groups in Helmand and any where else in the world the British army had been.

Poachers won't be able to see us, but we will see them and document their activities then interdict them. So if your a poacher, we may very well be watching you.

The legal bits are being tied up, and support from the police is developing as we don't have the right to arrest. Two of the big estates in Wiltshire have expressed urgent interest with a further 3 more in the Berkshire and Kent area.

We should be online at the end of this year.

Poaching is a crime, and you will get caught and you will be prosecuted.

and you assume nobody walking the land has any experience in counter intelligence and escape and evasion :laugh::laugh: the best trackers available are the ones from the locality. always will be, technology will help but as the saying goes, knowledge is power :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yep your right paulus most of the new breed of poacher are counter inteligent

theres poachers and then theres morons :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I work a lot on a shoot in devon i will not mention the name. its a great place and is hunted on, over and around a lot stalking lamping shooting fishing ferreting the lot. Was in the beating line yes

The amount of idiots with guns these days is frightening. Common practice to drive around lamping from the roads, no permission, just blasting anything they see and leaving it to rot, deer included.

i have to disagree! i know boys with tickets that poach stupid as it is but it happens!! i am not moaning about poachers just if you shoot something that big dont just cut its bloody head off!!!.. poa

interesting this one things for sure ,dont think all farmers dont know you are there ,i know lots who know everything thats going on & by whom ,the odd lad walking around for a long ear or bunny is often tolerated ,its the deer lads who really bugs them driveing around at night damageing fields they hate them

interesting this one things for sure ,dont think all farmers dont know you are there ,i know lots who know everything thats going on & by whom ,the odd lad walking around for a long ear or bunny is often tolerated ,its the deer lads who really bugs them driveing around at night damageing fields they hate them

I think your right in some cases, but that's local knowledge, as a young man, all my poaching was local & Im sure most farmers knew exactly who I was............but I've read on here, some lads doing 200mile in a night lol,to counter act that, must be nigh on impossible

if deer poaching is at such high levels then it begs a couple of questions, how come the overall deer population in the uk has exploded in the last few years and where does all this massive amount of venison ultimately end up as to be taking them on the industrial scales you seem to think there being taken in then there has to be an outlet to offload it, if that is the case then the outlet is the solution

Granted the poachers of past were to feed their family.

But like any crime it pulls in people trying to make huge amounts of money, and with big money means big intent. Iv seen reports of gangs of men working together. No doubt linked to other rural crime.

Paulus. Technology is merely a aid, infact tracking a person doing wrong isn't too hard regardless of the local knowledge. Simply because when your doing wrong your nature changes, your habits change. It's a science. Again I'm not going to go into the process were going to employ but it's not as simple as turning up and sitting around waiting. And the proportion of poachers in the UK with "counter intelligence" skill set as you say is probably minuscule, these courses are only reserved for a select few people in the military. So our TCP's will in large widely be unknown. And even harder to evade.

Granted the poachers of past were to feed their family.

But like any crime it pulls in people trying to make huge amounts of money, and with big money means big intent. Iv seen reports of gangs of men working together. No doubt linked to other rural crime.

Paulus. Technology is merely a aid, infact tracking a person doing wrong isn't too hard regardless of the local knowledge. Simply because when your doing wrong your nature changes, your habits change. It's a science. Again I'm not going to go into the process were going to employ but it's not as simple as turning up and sitting around waiting. And the proportion of poachers in the UK with "counter intelligence" skill set as you say is probably minuscule, these courses are only reserved for a select few people in the military. So our TCP's will in large widely be unknown. And even harder to evade.

Craig ,were does the "huge amounts of money" come from ? With venison making £ 1.20 lb on average .A 70 lb carcass brings in around £84 ...10 animals don't get a grand , double it & take 20 you make £1700 roughly , devide that by the gang , say 6 ? ..it comes to less than £300 per man ...take of the that expenses , time it takes , the risk of getting caught etc ...not what I would call "huge" amount of money ..This is if they can get average price , who would pay more for poached deer than they could buy legally shot deer for ? ..& hit somewhere one night you wont be getting 20 the next night from the same place ...

The biggest money in my experience is in selling the stalking , not the venison .The poaching has more effect on that resource than anything & I can see people wanting to protect that , & rightly so , but I cant get my head round big gangs making big bucks from venison ..

• Like 1

Makes me laugh when someone says poaching is not stealing!! It is nothing more than stealing. It angers me on my farms I manage the deer which completely gets messed up by people poaching who kill anything they come across causing as much damage as they can while stealing anything they can. I have to kill all the hares in fields alongside all the roads to stop these lunatics driving all over my crops. I watch them through night vision and thermal imagery call the police and receive no help. Got fed up with it so in the problem areas I gave up and removed all temptation. So at the moment they plague someone else. I live in Wiltshire the last two groups caught came from Wales and Southampton they have no respect and are just Nasty disrespectful people.

quad bikes are bigger business than venison, where do all these stolen quads get sold and to whom i wonder, must be a big market for cheap no questions asked quads, i wonder who the biggest users of these types of quads are :hmm: as that's where i would guess the biggest market might be :whistling:

south hams hunter

you say poaching is not a crime so taking something some one has reared or managed is fine is it? to trespass and kill something someone else has put there time and money into is fine? if you had chickens would it be ok for someone to come take the eggs from the coop cause that's poaching but I bet you would get annoyed about that

What a load of tosh hahaha

I don't know what you guys do for a living, but just shy of £300 a night is good in my book. And how does topping up their beer fund negate the fact it's illeagal and causes distress. Me coming into your house and taking your TV and jewelry would top up my beer fund, doesn't make me acceptable or a tolerated loverble rouge one presumed you painting poachers as.

Iv seen cases in Cornwall where 200 sheep have been taken. The cost of blackheaded dorper coming in at around £400 for good blood lines. Now I know this doesn't come under the poaching remit but a example of the bigger picture.

You can argue the case it's easier to be a drug dealer but poaching and rural crime is on a increase. And the points of viability or how much a man makes is neglible. The point is it's costing land owners a lot of money, and there is no justification for that.

Farmerrow its not stealing or you would get done for stealing its trespass in pursuit of game not f*****g stealing

Why don't one of you lot try poaching in a Royal Park and see what the queen classes it as?

I don't know what you guys do for a living, but just shy of £300 a night is good in my book. And how does topping up their beer fund negate the fact it's illeagal and causes distress. Me coming into your house and taking your TV and jewelry would top up my beer fund, doesn't make me acceptable or a tolerated loverble rouge one presumed you painting poachers as.

Iv seen cases in Cornwall where 200 sheep have been taken. The cost of blackheaded dorper coming in at around £400 for good blood lines. Now I know this doesn't come under the poaching remit but a example of the bigger picture.

You can argue the case it's easier to be a drug dealer but poaching and rural crime is on a increase. And the points of viability or how much a man makes is neglible. The point is it's costing land owners a lot of money, and there is no justification for that.

next you will be saying its all linked to drug gangs and people trafficking, steeling is steeling whether rural or not, poaching is poaching both are different in law. you do not poach sheep you steel them, you don't steel deer you poach them. rural crime is on the increase because its the easy option compared to towns and cities. the thing is most rural crime is not pre meditated and as such is hard if not impossible to predict,