Please Help With Shotgun Licence

Please lads I know you lot can help me and that's why I rely on this site as it's guaranteed

Trying to apply for my shotgun licence as I have a lot of permission to shoot and the police down the local station are not much help and also I use an I-pad so some forms don't download but basically I need to get a copy of my criminal record and can't seem to get much help from the police also can anyone give me any tips on helping to get my licence,like where's the best place to put the safe e.t.c any info from you lot would be appreciated.many thanks

Please lads I know you lot can help me and that's why I rely on this site as it's guaranteed

Trying to apply for my shotgun licence as I have a lot of permission to shoot and the police down the local station are not much help and also I use an I-pad so some forms don't download but basically I need to get a copy of my criminal record and can't seem to get much help from the police also can anyone give me any tips on helping to get my licence,like where's the best place to put the safe e.t.c any info from you lot would be appreciated.many thanks

Contact your local police for a copy of the records they hold about you.

Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to ask your local police for a copy of the records they hold about you. This is called a ‘subject access request’.

Go on BASC website, all the info you need is on there including the forms to download, you MUST put down every offence comitted, even if its just pissing up a wall on saturday night, and motoring offences, good luck mate.

Literally every offence! Even a caution!

I was cautioned for cannabis 7 years ago. Didn't get a ticket or anything just a caution. I got a letter with my licence saying it had been granted but only just as I didn't inform them of the caution and it is unacceptable behaviour for a licence holder (we all do silly things as kids but just list anything)

A few key pointers from the Home Office about installing a gun cabinet.

1. Installation advice

Any security device should be securely fixed to the fabric of the building.

• For preference it should be in a room or area that does not have direct access to the outside of a building.

• It should not be in a garage, shed or other outside building, except in certain circumstances.

• When considering large or heavy gun cabinets, you should consider the load bearing strength of your floors.

• Wherever possible, it should be fixed to a wall that is built from bricks or concrete blocks or to the floor.

• The container should be out of sight (unless the firearm is held for display purposes). If it is in a corner, it is more difficult for a thief to attack it

• You should avoid fixing the container near any heat source.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

There is a form you can get that requests the plod to send you all they have on record of you, it costs £10. I did this with my son as he had several run ins with them when younger and neither of us could remember what they where or when. Took a couple of weeks to come back with a print out of his misdemeanors which i duly photocopied and submitted with his application. A month later he got his cert, good luck with it.

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't install a cabinet until AFTER you've been approved. Most forces will approve the cert and then carry out a security inspection separately.

If you buy and install 1st, what happens if it's refused? It's cost you a lot of money....

I don't know what you've done in the past but its by no means a done deal that you'll get a grant although they are fairly lenient with SGC's compared to FAC's. It's all going to depend on what and when.

One more point, shouldn't need saying, but don't buy a gun if the cert is approved until the cabinet is approved otherwise you could find yourself in breach of safe keeping arrangements.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

Personally I wouldn't install a cabinet until AFTER you've been approved. Most forces will approve the cert and then carry out a security inspection separately. No they don't, you have been reading to much again, they will much prefer to do it all in one visit.

If you buy and install 1st, what happens if it's refused? It's cost you a lot of money.... You sell it

I don't know what you've done in the past but its by no means a done deal that you'll get a grant although they are fairly lenient with SGC's compared to FAC's. It's all going to depend on what and when. They are no more lenient on SGC than FAC if you have the wrong criminal record.

One more point, shouldn't need saying, but don't buy a gun if the cert is approved until the cabinet is approved otherwise you could find yourself in breach of safe keeping arrangements. Rubbish, you have been issued a SGC, go get as many guns as you want!

Yes, make the FEO come out twice, waste time and everyone in the queue goes back a step, if everyone did this waiting times would go through the roof.

Security is down to YOU, if you are issued a SGC then security is your responsibility, go buy as many guns as you want, NOBODY has to approve your Cabinet at that time, and NOBODY has to approve your cabinet if you buy that many guns you need to install a second!

Edited by Deker

Not reading at all Deker, my FEO actually advised me to do this, albeit this was 15 years ago. His advice at application was if granted and when I decide to purchase a gun, fit a cabinet and then call them for an approval inspection and under no circumstances was I to buy a gun without having the cabinet approved first.

He also told me they were more lenient on granting SGC's than FAC's. I can only go off what was said. Then again they did have a bad reputation at that time.

If you buy and install a cabinet before your certificate is granted, you've lost the best part of £100-£250 if its refused (depending on cabinet size of course)

Not all regions are the same, you should know that by now. In fact I'm sure you could read it on here.

Edited by Alsone

If you have no criminal record, no mental health issues and have land to shoot and/or are a member of a club there should be no reason for you to be refused! I was very confident when I applied for my FAC, I bought and installed the cabinet after submitting my application. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about :victory: