Hi, im a little puzzled with a metal detecting find I had over the weekend... I was about to pack in detecting for the day and go home for an afterrnoon shooting when I found a rusty old knife about 9" deep in the soil... I have no idea of its origin...its a large knife (large bowie size), straight edge on the top and what wld have been a curved to a point sharp blade (now blunt)!

ANY HELP IDENTIFYING THIS KNIFE WLD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Im afraid I havent yet mastered posting pics up yet but can send a pic via email if you leave me ur mail ad in my inbox.

Edited by hobble
  • Like 1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi, im a little puzzled with a metal detecting find I had over the weekend... I was about to pack in detecting for the day and go home for an afterrnoon shooting when I found a rusty old knife about 9

That wood looks like meranti or sapele to me, same family as mahogany just a lot less expensive. hence it's use on firedoors. Genuine mahogany is just too expensive to use on fire doors.   TC

:0) watch this space....now is the time I need to try and get things done correctly. .fingers crossed I make a good job... :0)

Dont know mate...without sending a picture I can only describe the knife as I already have but the handle (whats left of it),, on the end it kind of curls down on the underside...its quite a sturdy heavy knife..you may be correct?

My question has been answered by somebody on another site...its a british S.A.S. type d survival knife...a little old and in need of restoration! No idea what tjey are worth but will be intersting cleaning it up and making a new handle for it. :0)

Hi jim....am afraid ive never got the hang of posting pics on here..I have a pic I cld email u if you want to see it in its present state maybe post pic up for me if you wish...bit of a mess but I think with a bit of tlc it cld be brought back to a useable state....I dont know if its very old or worth much hence why ive not rushed into doing anything with it yet...I have wood ready to nock up a new handle and can get it sand blasted or vapour blasted anytime.

Edited by hobble

They were issued to airmen and some special forces in the 70's and 80's. So not REALLY old, but old enough to be good quality! They are very popular among bushcrafters and survivalists due to them being made of good metal and a very useful design. I've seen really good examples complete with original sheath for sale for over 200 quid! Dunno if they ever sell for that though. They were replaced in the 80's with the "MOD survival knife" which wasn't as good a design/ shape or as high quality metal so never got as popular. I'll get a pic of mine for you to confirm the I'd if that'd help?

Jim

Pretty sure that's an 'MOD' rather than a 'type D' there Joe. The grind and handle shape look more like MOD, the type D has a convex grind and doesn't have the 'toe' bulge at the pommel end of the handle. Here's my genuine, ex-issue type D:

IMAG2985_zpsf7ff216f.jpg

A genuine one will have this number and the 'arrow head' stamp too:
IMAG2981_zpsa7f59230.jpg

Jim

Edited by WoodsmanJim

Here's Hobbles knife:

20140112_134036-1_resized_2_zps272c0373.

20140119_185520_resized_2_zps644fb22f.jp

20140119_185530_resized_2_zpse9ca3553.jp

20140119_185602_resized_2_zps264721ba.jp

As you can see it matches the pic that Joe put up, so is in fact an MOD survival knife, but not a type D. Still a good knife and well worth a resto on imo. Be a fun project and you'd have a knife for life when it's done if the edge can be brought back to sharp.

Jim

Jim