Ferel Cats With A .22Lr Or 12G

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i was sitting in garden one day the the old boy next door says can i borrow a trap lad? yeh no worrie what for? a cat he says.....well thats a bit of a grey area i said.....no i just want to trap it a

Excellent, now we have a keeper that takes shots at over 300 yards at quarry he cant properly identify . . . . . . with a weapon apparently incapable of killing the intended quarry (or in this case a

An air rifle is ample at a matter of inches.

Just for the record, not sure if it was a joke or not, but dropping any animal in a trough of water will land you in court.

If you need to despatch anything, then outside of a bullet or LD, you're likely to land yourself in trouble.

Personally I'd slip a leash on the cat using a lassoo style end, take it out of the cage, peg the leash into the ground or tie it to a fence and then shoot it with a shotgun. Anything inside the cage risks a ricochet in my opinion. I'd also wear safety glasses (shooting glasses not diy) when shooting at close range just in case.

Edited by Alsone

I shot a few feral cats in my time with a FAC (30lb) air rifle in point .22

We bait them, let the cat drop it's head down to feed then head shot. At sensible air rifle ranges and FAC power it's more than adequate. Iv considered using .25 FAC but iv seen the pellet through and through too many times so has been known to cause dramas and further damage to the out buildings.

I like the .22 FAC as it's quite and tends not to spook the other ferrals.

• Like 1

I shoot coypus in my trap, using an air pistol (Crosman 357 C02 gun). It puts out an 8.5 grain pellet at 600 fps, generating 6.8 fpe. At a couple of inches, that's more than enough for a coypu, which has a much thicker skull than a cat. No risk of ricochet, no damage to the trap. Single shot through the top of the skull, at the point where a line from the left eye to the right ear would meet a line from the right eye to the left ear. I've also used my air rifle, same result.

For the rest, put a silencer on your .22 and use subsonics and you shouldn't scare any other targets away. Simples. :victory:

Cats are 'rubbish' things really, soft and easy to kill, but they won't sit about while you pick them off one at a time.

If it's safe, use your .22RF with a moderator from a well concealed spot you should be able to mop-up

the easy one's, maybe it will take a few trips to thin them out, and anyway I guess the farmer will want a few left to keep the

rats etc at bay?

Just watch out with the RF as it's a bit 'near the edge' shooting in and around a farmyard, ricochets and damage to

the buildings could be the least of your worries, make sure no farm stock or even worse farm workers are about and don't

know you are there.

If it not safe for the RF in some places use the airgun instead, as for the shotgun I can't see anyway of using that on 'ground' targets

in a farmyard, that's your call, (but not for me).

If it not safe for the RF in some places use the airgun instead, as for the shotgun I can't see anyway of using that on 'ground' targets

in a farmyard, that's your call, (but not for me).

Yeah you would get ricochets in the farmyard itself. My reference above is to a trapped cat which you could take out and peg out in a field. I wouldn't advocate firing a shotgun against concrete or into stony ground.

I've seen someone take a pellet in the lip from 40 yards from a dry stone wall!

Edited by Alsone

Just for the record, not sure if it was a joke or not, but dropping any animal in a trough of water will land you in court.

If you need to despatch anything, then outside of a bullet or LD, you're likely to land yourself in trouble.

Personally I'd slip a leash on the cat using a lassoo style end, take it out of the cage, peg the leash into the ground or tie it to a fence and then shoot it with a shotgun. Anything inside the cage risks a ricochet in my opinion. I'd also wear safety glasses (shooting glasses not diy) when shooting at close range just in case.

Do you think this is better from a neighbor seeing point of view than dropping the whole cage in a trap? bearing in mind it is not a tame animal and is likely to be going mental when you slip this lassoo over its head/ peg to the ground etc etc. Be a lot quieter in the trough tbh. I think if someone saw you do either and you ended up in court both options would land you in it.

:laugh: What a carry on! If you're cage trapping, just use and air rifle, they're not bullet proof! LOL

If you only have a shotgun, take it into a discrete corner of a field, open the trap and shoot it as it bolts. If you can't hit a bolting cat at a matter of yards you need help! :D

• Like 1

Do you think this is better from a neighbor seeing point of view than dropping the whole cage in a trap? bearing in mind it is not a tame animal and is likely to be going mental when you slip this lassoo over its head/ peg to the ground etc etc. Be a lot quieter in the trough tbh. I think if someone saw you do either and you ended up in court both options would land you in it.

I don't see how putting a cat on a leash could be seen as cruelty but I'm, open to proof otherwise. Even the RSPC use pole lassoos around stray dogs etc.

As for drowning an animal, that's a dead cert cruelty charge.

I do see where you are going with the whole taking it out debate but equally firing within a cage is highly dangerous in my view as apart from cage damage, you again risk ricochets. When I mentioned the pellet in the lip above, I should point out the guy wasn't firing at the wall but at a pheasant and it was a ricochet from the edge of the pattern that came back and hit the injured party from off the wall.