Ferel Cats With A .22Lr Or 12G

Hi all after some advice, I've been asked to clear up some ferel cats at the farm. Mostly kittens numbers in excess of 30 cats. I have use of air rifle 12G or .22LR. I'd prefer to use my rimfire as I feel its more humane as ranges will be between 30-70 yards. I've crossed out the air rifle and have some NO.3 for the shotgun. What would be the best tool for the job.

I have sub HP, and High velocity HP for the .22LR ;)

Thanks in advance

Atb

Dan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i was sitting in garden one day the the old boy next door says can i borrow a trap lad? yeh no worrie what for? a cat he says.....well thats a bit of a grey area i said.....no i just want to trap it a

Excellent, now we have a keeper that takes shots at over 300 yards at quarry he cant properly identify . . . . . . with a weapon apparently incapable of killing the intended quarry (or in this case a

An air rifle is ample at a matter of inches.

I've shot plenty with shotguns, 12 bore and .410. It really depends on your land imo, there's no reason you can't use both rimmy and shotty. I've killed a lot in coverts using a terrier to flush or tree them and then 36gms of BB. They're not the hardest predator to get on top of.

Cheers mate. I can get safe backstops as I'm planning on baiting them in front of sileage or the banks along the farm. I may have a wander round with the 12G loaded with 42G no.3 which I use for fox out to 40yards and then lay on top of the bales with the .22LR and bait them at 50-60 yards. Ill probs use the sub HP's as their more accurate in my rifle.

Atb

Dan

You sound like you know what you're doing. If you're baiting them then it's daft to use a noisey short range shotgun when you have the rimmy. But take em whatever way you can, mooch the coverts and hedges with the shotty and bait and lamp with the rifle. Just shoot the f***ing things on sight and you'll soon get shot of them.

I did used to enjoy hunting them with terrier and shotgun though. We get the odd one show up now but not getting 5+ litters a year like we used to. Get on top of them and stay on top of them. It's pretty straight forward stuff.

Trap them live. 12G to dispatch.

Chris; What range / load / choke do ye recommend for this? Only, frankly, I'm in a bit of a situation here .....

I have a cat trap that I value hugely. It's a very old, very good trap. A genuine Fuller. I loan it out to my neighbour, when a feral turns up and starts destroying our mutual hay store.

Only trouble is; He has this tendency to drop the whole damn lot in a cattle trough! :unsure: That's just f**king Wrong.

Yet, I've honestly just never known what load, distance, choke combination I could point at the trap. The one that would dispatch the cat cleanly, while not knocking the shit out of my, basically, extreme Collectors Piece trap!

Chris; What range / load / choke do ye recommend for this? Only, frankly, I'm in a bit of a situation here .....

I have a cat trap that I value hugely. It's a very old, very good trap. A genuine Fuller. I loan it out to my neighbour, when a feral turns up and starts destroying our mutual hay store.

Only trouble is; He has this tendency to drop the whole damn lot in a cattle trough! :unsure: That's just f**king Wrong.

Yet, I've honestly just never known what load, distance, choke combination I could point at the trap. The one that would dispatch the cat cleanly, while not knocking the shit out of my, basically, extreme Collectors Piece trap!

Pete. Don't shoot your collectors trap!

My cat trapping jobs were done discreetly. Our method of dispatch was a lethal injection, allowing us to remove the animal from the site.

.22LR and 12G (my preference being a heavy target load) will do the job but good luck getting any more pest control work when they find out you're that guy! If this thread is serious then our man, Dan, should be looking at other alternatives, to the shooting.

An air rifle is ample at a matter of inches.

Agreed BH, but again when they find out what they're up to who'd want to be that guy?

i was sitting in garden one day the the old boy next door says can i borrow a trap lad? yeh no worrie what for? a cat he says.....well thats a bit of a grey area i said.....no i just want to trap it and scare the hell out of it its been shitting in my greenhouse!

so i lends him a big cage and a few days go by and i see and hear nothing of him,

then one night i hear a hell of a comtion and catawalling and meowing...for about 20mins then nothing

next day i said is that cat ok? yeh he said aslong as it can drink 45gallon :icon_eek:

please note any and or all of this post may be fictional and can not be used agains me or any one else in a court of law...

• Like 2

I'm not sure I follow chris. I am serious about shooting the ferel cats as I understand its an effective way of control. I don't understand 'should be looking at other alternatives to shooting'

Atb

Dan

traps keep working whilst your not there, use in conjunction with shooting and Pete a cattle trough is a cheaper and safer alternative compared to blasting an old trap with a 12g :laugh:

Arh I see cheers paulus ;)

I have a cat/rabbit trap with doors both ends and pressure plate in centre I've only ever had 1 rabbit caught in it. Ill put that out if I catch 1 a .22 air rifle will do the job point blank won't it?

Ill be taking Krub01 (billy) aswel he will probs use his .410