I'm Sick Of The Wind

pointer

The perch seemed to work well, I don't trust her 100% with the ferrets yet, I won't risk someone else's anyway, but I can hold her jesses while she's on there which stops my arm from aching lol. In time I hope I can carry her about on it giving her a better view on the reedy land.

The weather looks too windy up there for the weekend so I'll have her out locally with the dogs when I can. I really like to see the longer flights on the hills we've been ferreting. I was a bit worried earlier this season that I wasn't doing very well, not getting her enough flights etc etc etc but I'm happier now. Mates are getting me onto good land and will.i.am and his ferrets provide rabbits for my hawk to fly at.Without that I'd be stuck scratching around trying to bag the same few rabbits that every other man and his dog/ gun is after around where I live.

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that's me done for the season, the cut on her foot is still an issue and i was back at the vets on Monday for more medication. The plan is to see what another few more days does on the antibiotic

thank's for the mention at least u spelt my name right still cold 5 hour,s later but still enjoyed the day with a bit of luck wheel be good for Monday for a bit of lamping :victory::victory::victory: hahaha

Ha ha

It was cold today. Looking forward to some Lamping.

My hawk caught a squirrel this morning after flying it through several trees and into a thick bush. I had to cross a water filled ditch which was much deeper and wider than usual with all the rain we've had. Anyway I didn't make it and landed a foot short getting soaked up to the arse and wellies full of water. The hawk had the squirrel by its back end which could have caused her to get bitten up but it was biting the twigs around her feet. I had to get them onto the ground then get the situation under control. With the squirrel pinned down to make sure my hawk was safe I would normally kill it but due to the bush and how I had it held this wasn't possible so I put a bag over it and the hawks feet and threw food over to the side which the hawk traded off for perfectly. Unfortunately I could feel the squirrel slipping away as I tried to get a better hold on it and it broke free running up a tree and then along the high branches of a few others away to safety. I'm disappointed I didn't get to feed her from it as she hasn't had many squirrels and deserved to be rewarded after a battle with one. A photo would have been nice as well but I'm still counting it as she did catch it and it's down to me to kill quarry. The most important thing though is that she wasn't bitten, after last years incident which left her bit up on both feet I knew I had to think up a way of making sure that as soon as I got to her the squirrel or rat would not be able to bite her.

She had another hunt on a squirrel after that which lasted about five minutes, I think it got into a nest high up but I couldn't do anything to bolt it out.

I've got chaps but haven't been running into many lately so don't fit them all the time,I've heard reports of them hindering footing as well so they don't seem a guarantee against bites. Something to think about though.

I should carry a catapult, I own one so I might as well carry it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been another week of wind and rain, there hasn't been a chance to fly the hawk up on the dales so I've only been able to get out locally which for me means a very limited amount of land. She tried several times to catch rabbits but the wind gusts always seemed to be appear at the worst possible time. She got to kill a vole on Wednesday and then on Friday she took herself off after a rabbit but before I could get to her she spotted something on a lakes island and after tree hopping for a while dived down and caught it. It was getting dark so after ringing for help I attempted to wade across but the water was too cold and I didn't fancy risking dying to get her back like that. After a while she had eaten her fill and after trying to lure her across with food and a dummy bunny by torchlight she flew back across from the island and then after more coaxing jumped onto the ground after food. I was pleased to get her back because a mate had landed with a set of waders or a wetsuit whichever I preferred. I couldn't see what she had caught but I figured it was a rat.

She was overweight yesterday but attempted to catch a pheasant but the wind was ridiculously strong and blew her away. After waiting for the rain to stop this morning I went out and she got to catch a type of bird but less said the better at this time of year. After that she had a little hunt on a squirrel but it got into a rotting tree over hanging a stream and I couldn't do anything to flush it back out. Not a good week but at least we got something done.

Spot the squirrel.

BD46E869-36DA-44F4-A2FF-A6DF568D5409_1.j

• Like 2

I've had another couple of rabbits this week but the pics look the same as every other one of a Harris on a kill so I took one of my pointer doing what pointers do......telling you and the hawk there's something right in front of it. Sadly this one got away.

B40F9AC5-876E-48E8-A7A7-52BAC0815ED9.jpg

• Like 1

Wind again today but a result from a bit of cast hunting, pointersvbird marked up a squirrel, after appearing too ignore a rising cock bird, however she had spiedvol tufty who she battled with up and down a tree, I slipped in with my female whomlucked out and got a foot to said sqizzer, leavinh her hanging upside down, thankfully pointer had his litter picker tool saving any nasty injuries , both birds rewarded for parts in the hunt n kill, cracking sport, made braving the high winds, called it a day after that, will post pic later on

I don't know why it hasn't been seen as an essential piece of kit for years. Every falconry forum and book goes on about the risks involved with squirrel hawking yet no-one seems to have thought the situation through. I've seen pictures of falconers hands after a squirrel has bit them, it's ridiculous and completely unnecessary to have that happen.

Arcticguns hawk had one foot on the back end of the squirrel in a holly bush, I believe that without my help she would have been bitten up, we came home happy after a successful hunt not rushing to a vets. Not only that but we all want to dispatch the quarry our birds take as quickly and as humanely as possible, that can't be done when a squirrel or rat is trying its best to bite you and your hawk.