I'm Sick Of The Wind

pointer

Although the Met office said it wouldn't be windy this morning the gusts were trying their best to remove my hawk of the glove. When she did chase something she had no chance and was then blown across the fell. I walked over a big tract of land and saw very little, the dog was covering the ground well and although he could miss some things it's clear that this once superb rabbiting dale is now almost devoid of rabbits.

I'd driven miles to get here so we went into a sheltered valley. It's very steep with a rocky bank going into a river. A rabbit bolted from the reeds, the hawk struggled against the wind and both disappeared over the edge. I heard a rabbit squeal and then silence. Climbing down the slippy rocks to find the hawk was scary, fall and I don't think you could survive the drop. I found her wedged into a rabbit hole, after sliding my hand in to dispatch the rabbit I took a photo, lifted her out and after a quick feed very carefully got myself out of there.

The wind was only getting worse so we came home, I'd have liked to have done more but like all of this season the weather keeps hindering me.

Edited by pointer
  • Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that's me done for the season, the cut on her foot is still an issue and i was back at the vets on Monday for more medication. The plan is to see what another few more days does on the antibiotic

We were back out this morning with the ferret.Most sets are empty and what is being used is positioned in bad spots.Anyway she caught a mixied rabbit which I didn't keep followed by another three good strong bunnies. She had caught another after a good long flight but it fought free so escaped. Together with half a dozen misses it was a nice morning out.

22D507F8-3387-4290-A737-9244257894D5.jpg

• Like 1

I think it's the best type of land for any type of hunting, foxhounds, beagling, rabbiting with lurchers, shooting etc. The flights are longer and on the places I'm getting to hunt over the very low number of rabbits seem only to be living on the steep bank sides which makes for dramatic catches as they roll and plummet to the lower levels. Due to the gradient if the hawk misses and the rabbit spins around before running back up hill it's usually going to escape but again as the hawk tries to get back on terms with it the action is good.

There aren't many rabbits up there but last season we were walking over large tracts of land with good hunting pointer lurchers and seeing nothing so I'm hoping they increase in numbers again this summer and that next season we can get more done.

• Like 2

Just keep doing what you are doing Pointer's because it appear's to be working fine.. :thumbs: .. the wind can be a ball ache though at time's especialy when you are walking about with a bird on the glove that look's like a kite.. :D